OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, him openly cursing out his coach in front of the team amongst a myriad of other issues needs to be factored into the Ayton / Doncic equation.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read to me like his coach was a total prick.

I mean outside of tailoring the entire offense around Luka to the point you alienated Porzingis, openly defending Luka, and then falling on the sword for his failures sure.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn’t read the whole thing cause it just started to sound like one big hit piece on Rick Carlisle.

Carlisle has been around a long a real long time and has a great reputation around the league. So I have a hard time with this wen so many stars speak so highly of him. Maybe it’s a coach demanding professionalism and accountability and younger guys not responding to it well. Luca is still young in his career and there have already been plenty of rumors about him being a diva

Bill Simmons latest podcast was all about Luca and Zion two guys with all the talent in the world but neither of them seem to care at all and take there careers serious.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we should consult with the Mavericks three-man (player) leadership council (Doncic, Porzingis and Tim Hardaway Jr.) if there are any further questions.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think Carlisle was a problem there.

A part of being an effective leader is understanding your human inventory, playing to their strengths, and talking to them and treating them in an effective manner.

Carlisle clearly had a bit of a "my way or the highway" kind of approach. His treatment of Dennis Smith started to alienate Doncic....sometimes it's unavoidable, but the author of this article clearly thinks that Carlisle could have done a better job.

I can understand Doncic questioning Carlisle after his treatment, but my god, how can Doncic think it's ok to play himself into shape every year? That's just not going to work long term. Any older person knows that if you let yourself get out of shape, it gets harder and harder every year to get back into shape. Doncic's career will be stunted if he doesn't change.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Carlisle was a problem there.

A part of being an effective leader is understanding your human inventory, playing to their strengths, and talking to them and treating them in an effective manner.

Carlisle clearly had a bit of a "my way or the highway" kind of approach. His treatment of Dennis Smith started to alienate Doncic....sometimes it's unavoidable, but the author of this article clearly thinks that Carlisle could have done a better job.

I can understand Doncic questioning Carlisle after his treatment, but my god, how can Doncic think it's ok to play himself into shape every year? That's just not going to work long term. Any older person knows that if you let yourself get out of shape, it gets harder and harder every year to get back into shape. Doncic's career will be stunted if he doesn't change.
Yeah... the playing your way into shape thing ain’t good.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah... the playing your way into shape thing ain’t good.
It's pretty damn selfish and you could easily argue that the Mavs probably have 3-4 more wins with Luka in better shape.

To be fair, Booker wasn't in phenomenal shape early in his career with the Suns. It's really been in the past two seasons that Booker started showing up looking chiseled.

But he also wasn't fat either.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Doncic - tremendous offensive player. Defensive liability and a prick. I've talked to people aware of his habits socially and he's just a gigantic *******

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The Mavs have been a horribly run franchise since winning a title. They wasted Dirk’s twilight and are wasting Luka’s prime. That said he’s in his 4th year and still not in shape. That and the excessive 3pt shots are on him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Mavs have been a horribly run franchise since winning a title. They wasted Dirk’s twilight and are wasting Luka’s prime. That said he’s in his 4th year and still not in shape. That and the excessive 3pt shots are on him.
Luka has LOTS of prime left.

I have been thinking for a while that Luka is going to be a hard player to build a championship team around. He is too young now to be a championship leader. He also just does not play committed defense. He depends too much on just talent.

As much as I dislike LeBron, or Kobe before him, those players not only had the talent and skills, but they were also driven. Chris Paul is the same way--so is Book. Embiid does not seem to be as driven. He is undisciplined. Trae is certainly looking the part of a potential championship leader type of player.

I could be wrong. It would be an interesting conversation. What players have the "eye of the tiger."

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Luka has LOTS of prime left.

I have been thinking for a while that Luka is going to be a hard player to build a championship team around. He is too young now to be a championship leader. He also just does not play committed defense. He depends too much on just talent.

As much as I dislike LeBron, or Kobe before him, those players not only had the talent and skills, but they were also driven. Chris Paul is the same way--so is Book. Embiid does not seem to be as driven. He is undisciplined. Trae is certainly looking the part of a potential championship leader type of player.

I could be wrong. It would be an interesting conversation. What players have the "eye of the tiger."

The Mavs are capped out with no assets. He’s going to demand a trade within two years.

Luka and Trae are very similar despite their bodies. Both are flawed but carry their teams offensively.

Guys that have displayed killer instinct in big moments:
Lebron
Giannis
Steph
Kawhi
Durant
Butler
Lillard
Paul

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Mavs are capped out with no assets. He’s going to demand a trade within two years.

Luka and Trae are very similar despite their bodies. Both are flawed but carry their teams offensively.

Guys that have displayed killer instinct in big moments:
Lebron
Giannis
Steph
Kawhi
Durant
Butler
Lillard
Paul
Guys where the jury is still out but they might

Donovan Mitchell
Jokic
Ja

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
To my view, Mitchell is not a good defender. Ja is decent and Jokic is average. But then again, Lillard is not a good defender and Steph is average. I guess I interpreted the list as two-way players...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wasn't thinking defense as much as competitive fire. Willingness to do whatever it takes to win. Eye of the tiger.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson