Lowered Expectations

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did you ever catch the Mad TV skit in which they had a dating service called, Lowered Expectations? They would have dumpy, frumpy, overweight, dishelved people recording their pitch for a date, and sometimes even has been stars would shoot a video. It was hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xLsRI7-hBs

The Cardinals play of late reminded me of that skit, I feel like we the fans are shooting our own video in which we state we are looking for a team that just shows up, keeps the score within two touchdowns, makes a tackle every now and then, and finally has a run for more than 5 years (that's not called back due to a penalty).

In my attempt to find a silver lining I'm now convinced that if we happen to somehow win on that first playoff weekend we'll be so ecstatic that whatever happens after that won't matter. Secondly if/when we lose given our own Lowered Expectations the emotional hit we'll all take is lower than what it would have been had we been on a tear these last few games.

So I'd like to thank the Cardinals for locking up the division early then drawing on their past to minimize the emotional investment I and others have in the game next week.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you rather be sittinat 6-9 right now playing a meaningless game?

How can anybody be down about this season, especially when it isn't over yet?
I am not happy with our play as of late, but I am happy of a couple of accomplishments.

1. Making the playoffs. Back in August if somebody said the Cards would be in the playoffs EVERYBODY would have taken it. I don't care if they won 9 games by forfeit, we'd have been happy.

2. Winning the division. Again, back in August somebody would have said the Cards would win the division, I don't beleive there would have been any of us putting some stipulation on how we did it or what our record would be.

Your post of "lowered expectation" just doesn't make sense. Nobody is going to be happy if we lose in the first round of the playoffs. Nobody will be content with that. Nobody reading this right now can honestly say they will be happy with that.
Now let's say we win the first round of the playoff game. Nobody is going to sit back and say "thats good enough". However, IF we do win the first playoff game and untimately lose lets say, to the Giants, we will all be disappointed but I do believe the epitaph will NOT read "We settled for lowered expectations".

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would you rather be sittinat 6-9 right now playing a meaningless game?

2. Winning the division. Again, back in August somebody would have said the Cards would win the division, I don't beleive there would have been any of us putting some stipulation on how we did it or what our record would be.

The cards didnt win the division it was given to them by default of the other three teams in rebuilding mode.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The cards didnt win the division it was given to them by default of the other three teams in rebuilding mode.

So, basically, that means the last 5 NFC West Champs have been given the division...because all of those Seattle teams played against crappy division foes, as well.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How can you say that? They beat the teams they had to beat, namely our division. If we had lost to SF or the Seahwks, we would have not moved to 7-3 at that point. Instead we would have been 5-5 and be 6-9 right now.

But we didn't. You make it sound like the Seahawks went 16-0 the last 4 or 5 years with 2 other teams from the west making it as wild cards.

Sure we are the benefactors of down years by the Seahawks and the perenial "look out for the 49ers", but had they beat us, THEY would be in the catbird seast right now, especally the 49ers.

Remeber too, had we beat the 49er's twice LAST year we would have been 10-6 and in the playoffs. We didn't , thus we didn't earn it.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

So the Seahawks did the same thing that last two years. The Patriots the last two years before that ?

The Steelers the year before last ? Same with the San Diego Chargers last year as well ?

I guess the Saints were given last year's title too?

If you are going to bash, trash, and give no credit to the team, at least be consistant about it. All the teams above won thier divisions in the same matter over the year, with the rest of the team being in "re-building" mode.

Oh yeah, last I checked the Cardinals had to win 8 games in order to be "given" the title.

Seriously.......

You must be registered for see images attach

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh really.

Last I looked it said the Cardinals were NFC West Champions. Sounds like they one it to me.

Is there a special category I wasn't aware of ?

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow, with so much GIVING going on I hope THEY give us the Super Bowl too!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson