Lovie Smith for Cardinals next Head Coach!

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
Like a lot of you I was high on Ray Horton at first to get the HC position. But my gut says hes just not ready yet for the job. Awesome DC, but HC is a different ball game. If he could bring Norv Turner for OC im buying, but that looks unlikely with Norv liking OLC Russ Grimm. Then im hearing Horton wants to bring in a college DC and based off all of the above im passing.

I also liked Andy Reid but he didnt respect the Cardinals organization enough to at least interview before making his decision.

The hot college coach Chip Kelly was never interviewed by Arizona.

Im a Todd Haley fan but a lot of you sold me on he's a great OC but may not be the best personality to run the locker room. I agree and I'll pass there too.

McCoy from Denver is an unknown, I think the Cardinals need a known moving forward so i'll pass.

So that leads me to Lovie Smith. Poor guy gets fired for a 10-6 season. All of his teams always play aggressive ball hawking defense and solid special teams. His offense features a strong running game, use of the TE and a big time WR.

When you add up all the plus/minus of these candidates, Lovie Smith is heads above the competition. Add in he made it to a Superbowl and he has been the only candidate openly lobbying for the Arizona job and he gets my vote- and I hope he gets yours too!

Go Cardinals!
~Tim
@SheriffK9NJ

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like a lot of you I was high on Ray Horton at first to get the HC position. But my gut says hes just not ready yet for the job. Awesome DC, but HC is a different ball game. If he could bring Norv Turner for OC im buying, but that looks unlikely with Norv liking OLC Russ Grimm. Then im hearing Horton wants to bring in a college DC and based off all of the above im passing.

I also liked Andy Reid but he didnt respect the Cardinals organization enough to at least interview before making his decision.

Im a Todd Haley fan but a lot of you sold me on he's a great OC but may not be the best personality to run the locker room. I agree and I'll pass there too.

McCoy from Denver is an unknown, I think the Cardinals need a known moving forward so i'll pass.

So that leads me to Lovie Smith. Poor guy gets fired for a 10-6 season. All of his teams always play aggressive ball hawking defense and solid special teams. His offense features a strong running game, use of the TE and a big time WR.

When you add up all the plus/minus of these candidates, Lovie Smith is heads above the competition. Add in he made it to a Superbowl and he has been the only candidate openly lobbying for the Arizona job and he gets my vote- and I hope he gets yours too!

Go Cardinals!
~Tim
@SheriffK9NJ

I'm interested in two guys. I'll be fine with Horton or Lovie.

Steve

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lovie couldn't get it done, period!
He had his chance, he had all the OC's he wanted, he failed!

It's Ray's time!

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I would be shocked if Lovie had a HC position this year.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Check that.
I would be shocked if Lovie is even working the upcoming season.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Go Cardinals!
~Tim
@SheriffK9NJ

I could accept either of them but your vote and my vote does not matter, it is Michael Jr.'s vote which is the only one that matters :)

OP
OP
AZCardsWin

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
I would be shocked if Lovie had a HC position this year.

With the Browns job filled I doubt Horton gets any other interviews too. Great guy but no HC experience, no offensive minded background, basically no thank you. Lovie at HC and Horton at DC would be a dynamic 1-2 punch.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we go through all of this and end up with Smith I will be sick. Not as bad as Haley for sure but no thanks.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the Browns job filled I doubt Horton gets any other interviews too. Great guy but no HC experience, no offensive minded background, basically no thank you. Lovie at HC and Horton at DC would be a dynamic 1-2 punch.

A good 1-2 punch for the defense maybe. We don't need Lovie Smith.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Smith is a 4-3 coach but we run a 3-4. So he wouldn't be a good fit.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

:biglaugh:

Yeah, how did the Mike Martz, Mike Tice thing work out?
The reason he was fired was because of his offense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a deep breath, count to ten.

Ahhhhhh, I feel better noiw.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Horton 100% over Lovie.

Intrigued by McCoy or another young offensive mind in final two vs Horton.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Go Cardinals!
~Tim
@SheriffK9NJ

Your make an interesting point. Hmmm...

Skumbag

Registered
Reaction score

Apparently you didnt see the lack of offense when the bears played the 49ers... i think they were in the negative yardage still at halftime. Cutler may have not be healthy to play, but look around... with their backup QB, we look like the same offense.

Pass.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Horton is the best man for the job. Period. Whether he has his eye on a college DC or whatever. He fills our HC need better than anybody right now

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want McCoy or Horton at HC.

Longview, I think I simply want Horton. If we get him back as DC, it won't be for long. I'd rather give Horton the keys, let him prove me wrong on him, rather than pull in another HC candidate, watch him sputter and see Horton leave and find success, then see us search for a HC in 4 years again.

I am all in on Horton...even though I think McCoy would be the best choice overall, I think Horton is almost as good and you don't lose him...and I think he is very valuable as a HC with culture and broadview approach.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I want McCoy or Horton at HC.

Longview, I think I simply want Horton. If we get him back as DC, it won't be for long. I'd rather give Horton the keys, let him prove me wrong on him, rather than pull in another HC candidate, watch him sputter and see Horton leave and find success, then see us search for a HC in 4 years again.

I am all in on Horton...even though I think McCoy would be the best choice overall, I think Horton is almost as good and you don't lose him...and I think he is very valuable as a HC with culture and broadview approach.
why is that? I think if I were owner of a completely different team, say the Eagles, I'd be pretty torn between the 2. Has gone to the playoffs with polar opposites taking snaps. But from a glass half-empty point of view, you could maybe make the case against him by saying #18 is really the current OC there now, and his success (last year) was only really in the run game with a TE taking the snaps. McCoy has the edge as far as years as a coordinator, but Horton has the advantage in total coaching years, as well as total years in the NFL with a significant lead as a player. McCoy is HIGHLY respected as an OC. Horton is HIGHLY respected as a DC. They are VERY close in my book. But given Horton's experience in the locker room, I think he holds a distinct advantage as a candidate for HC in AZ

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McCoy isn't only doing it with Peyton...he coached Orton to his best career numbers, same with Delhomme, and completely revamped his system to make Tim freaking Tebow successful. Flexibility is HUGE in my book. He can repair this offense. With Horton, it will come down to who he hires as OC to fix the offense.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
why is that? I think if I were owner of a completely different team, say the Eagles, I'd be pretty torn between the 2. Has gone to the playoffs with polar opposites taking snaps. But from a glass half-empty point of view, you could maybe make the case against him by saying #18 is really the current OC there now, and his success (last year) was only really in the run game with a TE taking the snaps. McCoy has the edge as far as years as a coordinator, but Horton has the advantage in total coaching years, as well as total years in the NFL with a significant lead as a player. McCoy is HIGHLY respected as an OC. Horton is HIGHLY respected as a DC. They are VERY close in my book. But given Horton's experience in the locker room, I think he holds a distinct advantage as a candidate for HC in AZ
Jake Delhomme and Kyle Orton had their best seasons with McCoy coaching them and was smart enough and flexible enough to adjust the offense to fit Tebow and they lead the league in rushing. This is Peyton's best season statistically in something like 7 years and it is his first with McCoy. Peyton would still be Peyton without him, but it isn't any sort of stretch to think that he has had some sort of a positive influence on Peyton's play on the field.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, your 100% right, why would we want a coach coming off a 10-6 season :bang:

Go Cardinals!
~Tim
@SheriffK9NJ
I think Lovie was a victim of the high expectations game - like the Eagles, everyone there was running around screaming: "Super Bowl!" ("Dynasty?"). Like Reid, when it didn't happen, ownership decided to make a change.

Bleep happens. Lovie is considered a good coach. A good fit for the Cardinals? I'm not so sure - Lovie's coaching style seems right for Nov./Dec. weather in the NFC - Norris, whereas the AZ climate seems better suited for a more agile, mobile and hostile brand of football.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Lovie is a No-go. I believe his hiring would mean that we would lose Ray.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think Lovie was a victim of the high expectations game - like the Eagles, everyone there was running around screaming: "Super Bowl!" ("Dynasty?"). Like Reid, when it didn't happen, ownership decided to make a change.

Bleep happens. Lovie is considered a good coach. A good fit for the Cardinals? I'm not so sure - Lovie's coaching style seems right for Nov./Dec. weather in the NFC - Norris, whereas the AZ climate seems better suited for a more agile, mobile and hostile brand of football.
Except Lovie had a record of 10-6 this year and Reid had a record of 4-12..

When was the last time a coach was fired after a 10-6 or better season?