Lottery Standing Watch

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
By Wins

#1-3 Washington, New Orleans and Charlotte 3 Wins
#4 Detroit 4 Wins
#5-9 Phoenix, Sacramento, Golden State, New Jersey, Toronto 6 Wins

Hey we are tied for #5! It will be hard to outtank Washington, New Orleans, Charlotte and Detroit though.

That is a 12% chance to get the #1 pick.

.088 to get #1
.097 to get #2
.107 to get #3
.261 to get #5
.360 to get #6
.084 to get #7
.004 to get #8

For #5
.292 to move in the top 3
.261 to stay put
.447 to move down to 6-8

For #4
.378 chance to move in the top 3
.099 chance to stay put
.523 chance to move down to 5-7

You see one spot in the lottery standings makes a big difference, still will be hard to get in the top 4 unless we FINALLY start tanking. Those wins against Portland, New York and Boston and all those games against team without their top players really screw us over. We could be tied for #1.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
But there is a good chance that GSW, SAC and TOR will move ahead of us soon.

Top 6 odds look likely at this point

Last edited:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Man, I would be the happiest camper if Suns get No.1

Anthony "freakin" Davis

Camby with Skills.... or a Less intense Kevin Garnett who blocks more... lol.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Just checked our march and april schedule, it is brutal. February is easier but busier.

Look at

Rest of january
@POR Loss
vs MEM Loss

vs DAL Loss

End of january record 6-14

February
@NOH Win

@HOU Loss
vs CHA Win

@ATL Loss
@MIL Loss

vs HOU Loss

@SAC Neutral

@GSW Neutral
@DEN Loss
vs ATL Loss

@LAL Loss

vs LAL Loss
vs WAS Win

vs GS Neutral

February record 6-8
Overall 12-22

March
vs MIN Loss
vs LAC Loss

vs SAC Neutral

@OKC Loss
vs DAL Loss

vs MEM Loss

vs MIN Loss

vs UTH Loss
@ LAC Loss
vs DET B2B2B Loss

vs HOU Loss

@MIA Loss
@ORL Loss

@IND Loss

@CLE Neutral

vs SAS Loss
@ LAC Loss

I see 2-15 in march as a likely scenario..
Overall 14-37

April
vs NO Win

@SAC Neutral
@UTA Loss

@DEN Loss
vs LAL Loss

@MIN Loss

@MEM Loss

@HOU Loss
@SAS Loss

vs POR Loss

vs OKC Loss
vs LAC Loss

vs DEN Loss

@UTA Loss
vs SAS Loss

Likely 2-13 in April unless Utah and SAS rest starters in the last games.
Overall 16-50

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping this team sets Steve Nash free. Seriously, this team is not going anywhere and I still would like to see the dude get a ring. That will ensure a top draft pick.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Good thread, any serious Suns fan should be praying that tankapalooza starts ASAP.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Indeed because even if we somehow could break even or be above .500 in february any talk of making the playoffs is absolutely delusional.

There is no way that the Suns can win more than 10 games in the last 2 months even if everything goes perfect.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Indeed because even if we somehow could break even or be above .500 in february any talk of making the playoffs is absolutely delusional.

There is no way that the Suns can win more than 10 games in the last 2 months even if everything goes perfect.

Our older players will be injured/dead by mid-February. We will have a pick between #2 & #8 IMO. We are not lucky enough to get #1.

We need to set Steve & Grant Free.... Do you think someone will take Childress if we ask for nothing of value in return??

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
Do you think someone will take Childress if we ask for nothing of value in return??

We'd probably have to throw in a 1st rounder to get someone to take on that awful contract. Crap I hope Sarver doesn't read this.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apart from a Nash trade, a Nash injury would be second best. That's where true fans are sinking. We are put in a position where we are hoping for a trade or injury to one of our favorite players. I hate this.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Bogut and Bargnani are out for a long time now again, that is bad news for us because we are banking on Toronto and Milwaukee to win more games than us.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apart from a Nash trade, a Nash injury would be second best. That's where true fans are sinking. We are put in a position where we are hoping for a trade or injury to one of our favorite players. I hate this.

This thought kept rumbling through my head last night. It is not a good thought. Another worrisome thought is that the Suns are not good at drafting unless they get a top pick. I'm not sure things have changed in regard to the Suns drafting.

Another thought that was on my mind, the Suns are looking for at least one quality star much like the Hawks when they acquired Joe Johnson. It's funny, the Suns are now much like the Hawks back then.

The best rebuild scenario is that Sarver sells the Suns. Hoping for things get to get better under Sarver is looking fruitless. Why should things change?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bogut and Bargnani are out for a long time now again, that is bad news for us because we are banking on Toronto and Milwaukee to win more games than us.

Which is exactly why we need to trade Nash now.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So what exactly is tanking? Is it intentionally missing shots? Is it not trying very hard? The Suns players obviously are not going to do that and why should they. Some may not even be here next season so why should they care if a team gets a high pick or not. To them, winning is the only thing that matters; they get no consolation from losing. And would you really have any respect for a team and players that do that? Or maybe tanking involves benching your best players. Keeping them out with phantom injuries. But the coaching staff is not going to do that either unless instructed by the higher-ups and maybe not even then. Jobs are on the line and win-loss records matter when looking for a new coaching gig. Besides, high draft picks should go to teams that are truly bad, not to teams that pretend to be really bad by not playing hard or by not playing their best players. At least that was the general idea.

So the only real way to "tank" is to trade away your best players. For the Suns that task would seem both simple and difficult. They only have one player that really makes a difference in terms of wins and losses and that's Steve Nash. But, trading him is difficult due to a very limited number of teams that would be interested and almost all of them lacking expiring contracts, not to mention any valuable assets, that the Suns could get in return. At this point the Suns probably could not even give Nash away without taking on bad contracts that last beyond this season.

Finally I ask, why root for the team to lose? It makes no difference in the outcome of the game whether you root for them to win or lose, so why not root for them to win, get some pleasure out of it if they do, and if they don't then at least there's the consolation that their lottery chances have improved a little bit.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what exactly is tanking? Is it intentionally missing shots? Is it not trying very hard? The Suns players obviously are not going to do that and why should they. Some may not even be here next season so why should they care if a team gets a high pick or not. To them, winning is the only thing that matters; they get no consolation from losing. And would you really have any respect for a team and players that do that? Or maybe tanking involves benching your best players. Keeping them out with phantom injuries. But the coaching staff is not going to do that either unless instructed by the higher-ups and maybe not even then. Jobs are on the line and win-loss records matter when looking for a new coaching gig. Besides, high draft picks should go to teams that are truly bad, not to teams that pretend to be really bad by not playing hard or by not playing their best players. At least that was the general idea.

So the only real way to "tank" is to trade away your best players. For the Suns that task would seem both simple and difficult. They only have one player that really makes a difference in terms of wins and losses and that's Steve Nash. But, trading him is difficult due to a very limited number of teams that would be interested and almost all of them lacking expiring contracts, not to mention any valuable assets, that the Suns could get in return. At this point the Suns probably could not even give Nash away without taking on bad contracts that last beyond this season.

Finally I ask, why root for the team to lose? It makes no difference in the outcome of the game whether you root for them to win or lose, so why not root for them to win, get some pleasure out of it if they do, and if they don't then at least there's the consolation that their lottery chances have improved a little bit.

Do what the Spurs did to get Duncan. Claim to be giving your young guys and bench players a chance to play to see what you have in them. Trade Nash.

You do that this team won't be winning very many games.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's the only way that works for me. Anything else violates my concept of competition. I can support a coach who gives more time to the younger players than they probably warrant but only if it's with an eye to the future and not simply as a way to lose the game.

I cheer for the Suns and I want them to win every possession, every quarter, every game. In our current situation, a loss is much easier to swallow after the game but I can't go into any game hoping they play poorly enough to lose. I believe this team will be better off by losing enough games to grab a top pick this season but it has to be done the right way.

Steve

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just checked our march and april schedule, it is brutal. February is easier but busier.

Look at

Rest of january
@POR Loss
vs MEM Loss

vs DAL Loss

End of january record 6-14

February
@NOH Win

@HOU Loss
vs CHA Win

@ATL Loss
@MIL Loss

vs HOU Loss

@SAC Neutral

@GSW Neutral
@DEN Loss
vs ATL Loss

@LAL Loss

vs LAL Loss
vs WAS Win

vs GS Neutral

February record 6-8
Overall 12-22

March
vs MIN Loss
vs LAC Loss

vs SAC Neutral

@OKC Loss
vs DAL Loss

vs MEM Loss

vs MIN Loss

vs UTH Loss
@ LAC Loss
vs DET B2B2B Loss

vs HOU Loss

@MIA Loss
@ORL Loss

@IND Loss

@CLE Neutral

vs SAS Loss
@ LAC Loss

I see 2-15 in march as a likely scenario..
Overall 14-37

April
vs NO Win

@SAC Neutral
@UTA Loss

@DEN Loss
vs LAL Loss

@MIN Loss

@MEM Loss

@HOU Loss
@SAS Loss

vs POR Loss

vs OKC Loss
vs LAC Loss

vs DEN Loss

@UTA Loss
vs SAS Loss

Likely 2-13 in April unless Utah and SAS rest starters in the last games.
Overall 16-50

that's way too "optimistic." you have the suns on a 13 game losing streak and a 14 game losing streak. as bad as i think this team is, there's no way they go on two 13 game losing streaks in the same year. unless they trade nash.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

do you get pleasure watching this team? even when this squad wins they aren't impressive or entertaining. lose and make something of this season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Developing young players is ethically acceptible. It keeps long term competition in perspective. You do not miss shots on purpose etc. You cannot ask players to do that.

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
Developing young players is ethically acceptible. It keeps long term competition in perspective. You do not miss shots on purpose etc. You cannot ask players to do that.

Agree. The Spurs "tanked" the year before the Duncan draft because Robinson was injured all year and he was basically their whole team at the time, not because Popovich decided to tank for Duncan. Likewise the only way for the Suns to truly tank would be to get rid of Nash or for him to get injured all year.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not because Popovich decided to tank for Duncan. Likewise the only way for the Suns to truly tank would be to get rid of Nash or for him to get injured all year.

I don't know. He gave minutes to guys that normally would have never come off the bench and played bench guys much more than he would have Robinson or no Robinson. He cut back on some starters minutes and they had something like 23 starting lineups that season.

Charles Smith had an arthritic knee but there reports he could have played but the organization told him not to. He missed 65 games. Sean Elliot that year missed 43 games. They claim it was tendinitis. I have had it and so has my brother. It's not a 43 miss game type of thing.

If that team had been in the thick of things and going to the playoffs, those players play IMO.

Trifecta

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know. He gave minutes to guys that normally would have never come off the bench and played bench guys much more than he would have Robinson or no Robinson. He cut back on some starters minutes and they had something like 23 starting lineups that season.

Charles Smith had an arthritic knee but there reports he could have played but the organization told him not to. He missed 65 games. Sean Elliot that year missed 43 games. They claim it was tendinitis. I have had it and so has my brother. It's not a 43 miss game type of thing.

If that team had been in the thick of things and going to the playoffs, those players play IMO.

Actually you're probably right. I wasn't playing that much attention to it at the time. And this is the Spurs we're talking about.