Lost in Space (Netflix)

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I rewatched the movie last night which I hadn't seen probably since the year it came out. It wasn't a bad movie and it played homage to the original TV show but man, was the CGI bad on the monkey alien creature! I'm going to continue watching the original series from start to finish as I loved it as a kid and I know I haven't seen them all. I will be well prepared for the reboot on Netflix. :)

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
Let me guess, Lost in Space will have four letter words, sex, and ruin the original. As really if it is not on regular TV. Then it will have that on a network like Netflix.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first season (10 episodes) is available now on Netflix. Whether good or bad, I can't help but be geeked out about this show. Loved the original (until it went nuts) and love the concept.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Binged this entire season yesterday... didnt mean too,...was waiting for them to become "Lost" in space....that finally happened there at the end.

they screwed up dr smith...dr smith is supposed to be a somewhat pathetic coward...instead we get a self serving psycho who, for some reason... nobody just takes a moment to shoot that bitch in the face... the fact that they dont blow that ******* brains all over the scenery actually helps to completely ruin the show.

They even kinda screwed up the robot. Robot was way obviously the best thing in the show and he spent half the season in a box.

They kinda did that girl power thing again. I am cool with strong female characters but why must they always write them so poorly? It seems all these shows these days toss in that "she's in charge" scenario then proceed to show that a female is incapable of making a sound command decision.

They did a pretty good job with Penny...and a decent job with Ward... overall the primary adults were okay with some growing dynamics that can move forward. Will Robinson as a panicky emo kid doesnt sit right though...

sadly, I sat through ten hours of this and the very best part was the last two minutes... it does get you excited to see what happens next after they are finally "Lost in Space".... but they really screwed up the first 9 hours and change... not so sure this is going to get a second season.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@oaken1

This is as insightful a review as I've seen anywhere. You should post it on the interwebs for others to read.

:)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with Oaken. We didn't hate the season but they managed to take all the fun out of it for us.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
they screwed up dr smith...dr smith is supposed to be a somewhat pathetic coward...instead we get a self serving psycho who, for some reason... nobody just takes a moment to shoot that bitch in the face... the fact that they dont blow that ******* brains all over the scenery actually helps to completely ruin the show.
Bingo. This character is a joke. Both the original and movie version were saboteurs and this one is just a nut job. Unless they plan on developing her into this.

They even kinda screwed up the robot. Robot was way obviously the best thing in the show and he spent half the season in a box.
Kinda? There's no kinda about it.

They kinda did that girl power thing again. I am cool with strong female characters but why must they always write them so poorly? It seems all these shows these days toss in that "she's in charge" scenario then proceed to show that a female is incapable of making a sound command decision.

They did a pretty good job with Penny...and a decent job with Ward... overall the primary adults were okay with some growing dynamics that can move forward. Will Robinson as a panicky emo kid doesnt sit right though...
Yeah Penny and Ward are the best two so far. I'm still on the fence with Judy.

sadly, I sat through ten hours of this and the very best part was the last two minutes... it does get you excited to see what happens next after they are finally "Lost in Space".... but they really screwed up the first 9 hours and change... not so sure this is going to get a second season.
They should have titled this Lost in Flashbacks or Flashbacks in Space. Oh, or better yet, how about LOST, but in Space.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this. I thought they nailed Dr. Smith in terms of the manipulation and deception pieces. I mean the original character was cartoony and cheesey. That would not have worked on this version one bit. Although the one thing that bothered me is that at times I couldn't tell if she was mentally disturbed or if she really had an agenda. I admit that I kind of felt like the writers couldn't make up their mind how to play the character.

In terms of the rest of the family, I liked them. I liked the more expansive story than just the family and I also liked the fact they attempted to update the robot. The problem again lies in that I am not sure they knew how to play the robot but based on the ending? We may get an all new version by the time Season 2 is underway. It felt a little like they wanted to update the robot but not sure how.

Overall I really liked the new show but thought at least with these two characters they need a clearer direction with them both.

Last edited:

Superbone

Reaction score
I just finished and I enjoyed it. The production values were top notch. Two of you mentioned a character named "Ward" that just doesn't exist in the series so you guys confused me there. Maybe you meant John Robinson or Don West, I'm guessing the latter. I hope there's a second season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished and I enjoyed it. The production values were top notch. Two of you mentioned a character named "Ward" that just doesn't exist in the series so you guys confused me there. Maybe you meant John Robinson or Don West, I'm guessing the latter. I hope there's a second season.

I thought they meant West.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, West is who I meant.

Still not a fan of the robot origin. I'm warming up to Smith and her deceitful ways. The original Smith's agenda was to sabotage the mission. Is this one just a nut job or is there a deeper reason she wanted on the mission? I hope her reasoning isn't because she's secretly working with the "aliens" - that would be lame.

Also on the fence of how they get lost at the end. But, I do hope there are more seasons with less flashbacks. Hopefully they've got all the back stories pretty much set.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Still not a fan of the robot origin. I'm warming up to Smith and her deceitful ways. The original Smith's agenda was to sabotage the mission. Is this one just a nut job or is there a deeper reason she wanted on the mission? I hope her reasoning isn't because she's secretly working with the "aliens" - that would be lame.

Also on the fence of how they get lost at the end. But, I do hope there are more seasons with less flashbacks. Hopefully they've got all the back stories pretty much set.

her reasons for being on the mission in the first place dont even fit her character.

Superbone

Reaction score

I do like Smith's ways of manipulating Will. That plays nice homage to the original. Also, her "real" name on the show is June Harris. A tribute to both June Lockhart and Jonathan Harris from the original TV show cast.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

her reason for being on the mission was pretty lame and out of character. she was a convict dope fiend.... her sister invited her over to let her know she was "giving" her, her fancy house and car since she wouldnt need them any more....

but for some reason psycho convict dope fiend decided to steal her sisters spot on the colony mission rather than take the expensive house and car for free... having grown up with large quantities of psycho convict dope fiends I can assure you she would have taken the fancy house and car....then had an unending party until the house was trashed and the love of her life stole the car....even after knowing her for two whole weeks... then she would have mortgaged the house to buy a new car since she is a fancy chick now..and continue the party because she is so super cool to everyone.... then two years after the mission left she would be homeless, hungry, and turning tricks for a dime bag.

but instead...she decided to steal her sisters spot on the mission...to go hurtling through space for decades to an unknown planet, where she knows nobody, everybody is smarter than she is and nobody has any dope....

yeah, makes perfect sense

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
her reason for being on the mission was pretty lame and out of character. she was a convict dope fiend.... her sister invited her over to let her know she was "giving" her, her fancy house and car since she wouldnt need them any more....

but for some reason psycho convict dope fiend decided to steal her sisters spot on the colony mission rather than take the expensive house and car for free... having grown up with large quantities of psycho convict dope fiends I can assure you she would have taken the fancy house and car....then had an unending party until the house was trashed and the love of her life stole the car....even after knowing her for two whole weeks... then she would have mortgaged the house to buy a new car since she is a fancy chick now..and continue the party because she is so super cool to everyone.... then two years after the mission left she would be homeless, hungry, and turning tricks for a dime bag.

but instead...she decided to steal her sisters spot on the mission...to go hurtling through space for decades to an unknown planet, where she knows nobody, everybody is smarter than she is and nobody has any dope....

yeah, makes perfect sense

The planet is doomed. She thought it was a complete slap to give her all that stuff just so that eventually it would not matter since the planet was going to die. She didn't qualify to go off world and it would all end anyway.

Her character is all about self interest and survival. Also, the "dope fiend" part was a misdirect. There were indications her character may have gotten wrapped up in that but clearly to me she cleaned up and had been planning this for a very long time. Her criminal background was going to haunt her so she wanted to escape to start over.

I think it fit perfectly with the characters self centered, selfish and manipulating ways.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Binged watched this the other day and really enjoyed it. Far exceeded my expectations. Can't wait for a season two.

Netflix has just been killing it lately with their show quality.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this. I thought they nailed Dr. Smith in terms of the manipulation and deception pieces. I mean the original character was cartoony and cheesey. That would not have worked on this version one bit.

I agree. I had no problem with Dr Smith and her character. She was a master of manipulation. I thought it was super smart to have her character make up that she was a psychologist on the spot. In fact when they first asked her what kind of doctor are you, I was like "oh she is screwed now." Then she said Psychologist and I was like nice "Nice one!"

Dr Smith is a survivor. Dr Smith is all about taking care of Dr Smith. Everyone pretty much figured that out by the end of the season. I think it will make things interesting in the next season as they are truly now lost in space together.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished Season 2. Man....seems way to short each season.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media