Lopez doubtful for spurs series

Nash2Amare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
twitter.com/paulcoro

Lopez is a "maybe" for Game 1 ... http://bit.ly/dkRIkm
9 minutes ago via bit.ly

Asked if Lopez will play in Game 1, Gentry said "maybe." Lopez played some full-court today for the first time.
42 minutes ago via UberTwitter

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's a lot of conflicting information out there on Lopez. I'm expecting next to nothing from him so as to not get my hopes up. If we get something from him, great! If not, Collins just has to foul Duncan hard and body him.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would really help if he returns, Maybe he will play maybe he wont, but i don't see how the series hinges on his return.
Lopez can make Duncan work for his shots but he is not going to stop him. The advantages of having him will be put-backs and rebounds plus he is hella better than Collins. The Suns did a good job on the board with a taller frontline in the Blazers. If our bigs keep Mcdyess and Duncan off the board, the Suns will be fine.

Ninjafish

Registered
Reaction score
there's a lot of conflicting information out there on Lopez. I'm expecting next to nothing from him so as to not get my hopes up. If we get something from him, great! If not, Collins just has to foul Duncan hard and body him.

I'll take Gentry's word over Gambo's. If Gentry says he's a maybe for Game 1, then he's definitely at least going to play a part in this series. Barring any setbacks.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
No disrespect to the Spurs, but I don't think we need him for this series. Not saying it will be easy, but we can get by the Spurs without Lopez. After watching the Laker game today, that's when we really need Lopez. The Lakers just pound the offensive boards. We need him to help control those easy second points that the Lakers get every game.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched Lopez's interview and he said he will "definitely" be back sometime within this series just not sure what game. I agree with Yuma, Suns can take Spurs without him especially with the way Duncan fades down the stretch in this playoff.
I think the Suns need to worry more about stopping Blair, hope Amundson bring his a game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Don't be fooled, if he's healthy, he will help immensely against the Spurs.

Can we beat the Spurs without him? Sure. But will it be an easier task if we have him? Absolutely.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No disrespect to the Spurs, but I don't think we need him for this series. Not saying it will be easy, but we can get by the Spurs without Lopez. After watching the Laker game today, that's when we really need Lopez. The Lakers just pound the offensive boards. We need him to help control those easy second points that the Lakers get every game.

I really don't think we can beat the Lakers even with a healthy Lopez. Maybe I'm overly impressed by the team that tore us up earlier in the year but I'm not sure we could beat them even with Robin, Brook, Nancy, Rodrigo and George Lopez. I just think they have too much for us. Especially since Odom always seems to play like a superstar when he faces us.

I feel the same way about the Cavs so I'm hoping the Jazz and the Celtics get it in gear just in case we decide to advance past the 2nd round. Because, them we can beat!

Steve

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't think we can beat the Lakers even with a healthy Lopez. Maybe I'm overly impressed by the team that tore us up earlier in the year but I'm not sure we could beat them even with Robin, Brook, Nancy, Rodrigo and George Lopez. I just think they have too much for us. Especially since Odom always seems to play like a superstar when he faces us.

I feel the same way about the Cavs so I'm hoping the Jazz and the Celtics get it in gear just in case we decide to advance past the 2nd round. Because, them we can beat!

Steve

I think with Lopez we can. Funny, i don't really respect this Lakers like last year. They almost just cough it up at home to Utah Jazz who is player without key players. No Ariza and i think they miss him and Bynum is grimacing now every time he lands on that feet, unless they sweep Utah, how effective will he be in the WCF?
Hollinger may just be right that whoever win the Spurs/Suns will get out of the west especially if Bynum goes down.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think with Lopez we can. Funny, i don't really respect this Lakers like last year. They almost just cough it up at home to Utah Jazz who is player without key players. No Ariza and i think they miss him and Bynum is grimacing now every time he lands on that feet, unless they sweep Utah, how effective will he be in the WCF?
Hollinger may just be right that whoever win the Spurs/Suns will get out of the west especially if Bynum goes down.

The thing is, I believe we can beat the Lakers team that has been showing up the past several weeks. However, no matter how poorly they are playing and no matter who they are missing their game always seems to rise when they play us. IMO, our team at it's best is not as good as their team at it's best. And I think we'll always get their team near their best, something we rarely are when we face them.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The thing is, I believe we can beat the Lakers team that has been showing up the past several weeks. However, no matter how poorly they are playing and no matter who they are missing their game always seems to rise when they play us. IMO, our team at it's best is not as good as their team at it's best. And I think we'll always get their team near their best, something we rarely are when we face them.

Steve

The Suns are playing the Spurs!!!!!

OP
OP
itlnsunsfan

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Make no mistake, the Spurs are a much stronger animal than Portland. The seeding means nothing. They are beasting right now. Without Lopez to counter them on the boards and defensively I'm afraid we'll be feasted on from outside and in.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are playing the Spurs!!!!!

Really??? Dang, how'd I miss that. It's not like all the thread titles with Spurs in it would have given me a clue and surely the influx of Spurs visitors wouldn't have tipped me off.

Seriously though, I wasn't trying to shift it to Lakers talk but was responding to a comment about a possible future matchup against them. Personally, I'd rather lose to the Spurs any day of the week than to the Clippers big brothers. Although all I really care about is 16 more wins over the next several weeks. We're not the best team but we're good enough to win it all if we catch the right breaks at the right time.

Steve

Sporty Sports

Reaction score
Lopez will not make or break this series. He can certainly be of use against Duncan and Blair. However if the Suns succeed in dictating the tempo, I'd find it hard for the Spurs to keep up. At least over the course of a series. Their focal point will not last in an up and down game for 48 minutes.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lopez officially out for Game 1. Story to come.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Not really worried, in the Portland series I thought we would have problems rebounding but that didn't rear its ugly head. I think our SF, SG, positions grab boards to pick up the slack. J-Rich and Hill both are aggressive on the rebounding.