Longshot For New GM

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Aeneas Williams. Boom.do it.

Wtf???

Are you speculating such because he was in the SEZ/RZ wearing his HOF coat and posing for pictures on Sunday?

Dudes face looks like he’s had a couple strokes- I’m not being a hater.

But CTFO Man...

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jesus!, every-time someone mentions Fitz as a Mentor, Coach.....GM.. slash....whatever....

All I can think of is.... If we need a Geography coach, or team travel agent...Then yes... Fitz.

Everything else??? WTF? Why?

Yes he is a great WR.... Yes he is a great team player/ role model.

Churchill is one of my favorite human beings ever.... but if he was still alive, I wouldn't lobby him to Coach/GM slash mentor my football team!!!!

I might pay him well to give a motivational speech during halftime against the Steelers though!

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve always thought Peyton Manning would make a good GM if he ever decided he wanted to do it. Such a detail oriented player who knew his opponent inside and out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals would be hard pressed to land any top notch GM prospect. The Bidwells, including golden boy Michael, are not well respected in the league. IMO, we would need to find someone in-house, settle for a has-been or gamble on a green up-and-comer. There's always someone ambitious and hungry but I don't think we could get anyone who has other respectable options. We just aren't that kind of organization. Sorry, but the dark side is strong in me.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The interesting thing about Eliot Wolf is he would more than like on board with K1 and K2 since he is watching what mayfield is doing.
He also recommended that the Browns draft Mayfield when he was being interviewed by GM Dorsey for the Browns Assistant GM position.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals would be hard pressed to land any top notch GM prospect. The Bidwells, including golden boy Michael, are not well respected in the league. IMO, we would need to find someone in-house, settle for a has-been or gamble on a green up-and-comer. There's always someone ambitious and hungry but I don't think we could get anyone who has other respectable options. We just aren't that kind of organization. Sorry, but the dark side is strong in me.
Totally disagree. Michael Bidwill is well respected in the league. Additionally, being GM over an NFL team is a top position that many desire. IMO there will be plenty of qualified candidates.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Where do you get the statement that Bidwill is not well respected in the league ?

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dougmo, what are you basing your post that the Bidwills are not well respected in the NFL? Just curious.

P.S. Assume you meant to write Bidwill.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What I want to see, is for the Cardinals to go outside the organization for the next GM.

Bring in a fresh, new approach.

Quentin Harris is another in house candidate, and he is actually higher in the pecking order than Adrian Wilson.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Totally disagree. Michael Bidwill is well respected in the league. Additionally, being GM over an NFL team is a top position that many desire. IMO there will be plenty of qualified candidates.

Where can you affirmatively establish that Michael is respected around the league?

Where do you get the statement that Bidwill is not well respected in the league ?

I'd point to the recent book Big Game by Mark Leibovich. The author focuses entirely on the inside machinations of The Membership, and the Bidwills are mentioned once, at the end, as among the longest-tenured owners, and their name is misspelled. Leibovich is a courtier par excellance (passed out in Jerry Jones' party bus while drinking tumblers full of Johnny Walker Blue). If Michael mattered among the membership, he would've been mentioned.

As to the OP, having Palmer or Warner involved in the front office would basically be having Michael be his own GM. That position is mostly administrative and organizational. John Elway put together an exceptionally successful car dealership business before coming on board with the Broncos; neither Palmer or Warner have shown any talent or inclination toward executive leadership.

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
For the reputation of the Bidwills, I have friends and family members who have played and worked in the NFL and for the Cardinals specifically. Bill was notoriously miserly, Michael isn't as bad but still runs a half ass organization. A specific example I remember of the petty cheapness was that the Bidwills have their players provide their own flip flops for the showers, while most teams have every imaginable convenience available to their players. Not a big deal in itself but indicative of the 2nd class-ness.
Whenever I hear a player ragging on the Cardinals, I associate that with the Bidwills. A great GM might be able to establish his own culture and overcome this but I think the GM's that we've had have been more "towing the company line" type guys. That's probably the only type that Michael would accept.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The Cards need to find someway (whether it’s $$$ or draft picks) to lure Will McClay away from the Cowpies. Do everything possible imo because this dude is really good. He’s totally rebuilt that franchise which top notch talent & no it’s not Jerry doing it.

But...

I truly believe Keim won’t get fired after this season because KK won’t get fired after year 1. Exactly why he should’ve been tossed to the woodshed last season

Dougmo

Veteran
Reaction score
There are plenty of people that would love to be a GM just like there are plenty of people who would love to play in the NFL. There are only so many that can truly excel at that level.
The success of a GM is greatly influenced by the environment around him. I think the Cardinal culture is chronically crappy. Most teams have challenging stretches but when you have a problem at the top, most of your time (except for an occasional lucky streak) is going to be spent losing.
The NFL has done a great job of promoting parity with all the teams within striking distance. There is always a chance. That's why my Cardinal hopes live on.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards need to find someway (whether it’s $$$ or draft picks) to lure Will McClay away from the Cowpies. Do everything possible imo because this dude is really good. He’s totally rebuilt that franchise which top notch talent & no it’s not Jerry doing it.

But...

I truly believe Keim won’t get fired after this season because KK won’t get fired after year 1. Exactly why he should’ve been tossed to the woodshed last season

LMAO Jerry has his hand in everything with that team. You thinking otherwise is ludicrous. Anything recommended reference Dallas under Jerry is a ridiculous exercise in futility. I don’t care how good you think their roster is.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
There are plenty of people that would love to be a GM just like there are plenty of people who would love to play in the NFL. There are only so many that can truly excel at that level.
The success of a GM is greatly influenced by the environment around him. I think the Cardinal culture is chronically crappy. Most teams have challenging stretches but when you have a problem at the top, most of your time (except for an occasional lucky streak) is going to be spent losing.
The NFL has done a great job of promoting parity with all the teams within striking distance. There is always a chance. That's why my Cardinal hopes live on.

Keim has been there long enough — in a position of leadership — that if there truly is a toxic culture, it's going to take an exceptionally long time to root out. You'd have to clean house on the football operations side, potentially.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
For the reputation of the Bidwills, I have friends and family members who have played and worked in the NFL and for the Cardinals specifically. Bill was notoriously miserly, Michael isn't as bad but still runs a half ass organization. A specific example I remember of the petty cheapness was that the Bidwills have their players provide their own flip flops for the showers, while most teams have every imaginable convenience available to their players. Not a big deal in itself but indicative of the 2nd class-ness.
Whenever I hear a player ragging on the Cardinals, I associate that with the Bidwills. A great GM might be able to establish his own culture and overcome this but I think the GM's that we've had have been more "towing the company line" type guys. That's probably the only type that Michael would accept.
I call BS on the notion Mike runs a second rate organization. He only shares the last name of "Dollar Bill' Bidwill. No way is he a cheap skate and has proven his commitment to running a top knotch NFL team. He's poured more money into the training facility and stadium to keep his players and fans in state of the art conditions and comfort. This includes paying his players something Bill never did.
Now, He could be accused of being to loyal to a fault by sticking with and trusting Keim with the direction of this team but I wouldnt consider that a smear against his character.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

I agree that the Bidwells, whoever they are, are probably not well respected in the league...However Michael Bidwill is well respected and I highly doubt you will find anything contrary. Even the old man, though cheap as hell, had his friends among peers.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll stick up for Mr. B by saying that he was trying to run a very under funded franchise that didn't have deep pockets. When we finally got the new stadium, everything seemed to change as all of a sudden we were now competing on a level playing field. When (way back) the NFL was taken over by the billionaires the Cardinals couldn't compete long term. With the new stadium all that changed, and we are now playing on a level playing field. Mr. B deserves credit in keeping the franchise afloat until we got the domed stadium. I've been a fan since 1947, and while there were many lean years, I live for the Fall and the hope that I'll get to see us back and, at least, competing for the 'crown'. May he RIP.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I would go Peyton Manning or Kurt Warner before Carson.

But honestly...... I want someone with more experience. Being a player only helps in very rare situations.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree that the Bidwells, whoever they are, are probably not well respected in the league...However Michael Bidwill is well respected and I highly doubt you will find anything contrary. Even the old man, though cheap as hell, had his friends among peers.
That Bidwill guy brought in players like Antron Rolle, Karlos Dansberry, and Larry Johnson!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I would go Peyton Manning or Kurt Warner before Carson.

But honestly...... I want someone with more experience. Being a player only helps in very rare situations.

Kurt would never take a full time position. Not sure about Peyton but there’s probably better opportunities that will come up for him. I think he’ll end up as Tennessee’s AD.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
I’m still waiting to hear why moving on from Keim would be a mistake.