Longest you’ve water fasted?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Need to go 72 hours next weekend to strictly cleanse my digestive system. Going on nothing but water and sea salt for electrolytes. Never done it before but thinking about rewatching GoT so it should go by quick. Any tips?

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need to go 72 hours next weekend to strictly cleanse my digestive system. Going on nothing but water and sea salt for electrolytes. Never done it before but thinking about rewatching GoT so it should go by quick. Any tips?
My only tip would be, "Don't do it" lol. That sounds awful.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Just read an incredible study recently released by USC (I think?), specific to the 72 hour fast. AMAZING benefits... It seems as though it would be beneficial to do a 72 hour fast at least twice a year. I am planning on giving this a shot some time in the next 3-4 weeks. I already do a regular 24 hour fast once a week, eating dinner on Wed night and not eating again until dinner on Thurs night.
Here is an article that references the study I read: https://prepareforchange.net/2018/0...ours-can-regenerate-the-entire-immune-system/

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
My only tip would be, "Don't do it" lol. That sounds awful.

I’ve heard it only bad for 24 hrs. Your body is still eating (fat) even though your not chewing and swallowing food. The hardest part is mental because it’s hard to ignore your brain telling you to eat.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the reason you just want to try it or were told to?

I have a dental hygienist who told me everyone in their office who works on patients(dentists, hygienists etc) can tell which of their patients regularly fast. She said people prone to acid get it much worse when fasting and it damages the teeth, and most people see an increase in tartar and plaque buildup. I forget why but she said it's generally considered to be bad for your teeth and causes bad breath because of the tartar and plaque.

I have major acid issues myself I take an acid pill every morning but I really doubt I could go 72 hours without eating I don't think I'd be able to sleep.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
What's the reason you just want to try it or were told to?

I have major acid issues myself I take an acid pill every morning but I really doubt I could go 72 hours without eating I don't think I'd be able to sleep.

I was having stomach acid and digestive issues until I found out I had become intolerant to wheat gluten. I did my own research with all the symptoms I was experiencing and figured out they were the same as celiac sufferers. All the doctors suggested I do prior to me finding out about my gluten issue was to pop a acid blocker every morning before breakfast. They were pretty much useless to me. Now after going GF I havent had any stomach or digestive issues for over 15 yrs...unless I happen to eat some unsuspected wheat product.
Try going GF for a couple weeks to see if that clears up your problem too?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've found nausea to be the biggest issue in doing something like this. Every time I've done it, I swear I will never do it again.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I've found nausea to be the biggest issue in doing something like this. Every time I've done it, I swear I will never do it again.

Usually from caffeine, sugar or gluten withdrawal. That’s the thing about a water fast. Your body is missing everything you’re reliant on. I suppose people on Keto would do best.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep (this is the most critical part from my own experiences, if you normally sleep 8 hours a day try and sleep 10). I currently am doing 18/6 intermitted fasting (eat during a 6 hour window and water fast the other 18), but in the past I have done several long fasts including a 30 day water fast.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually from caffeine, sugar or gluten withdrawal. That’s the thing about a water fast. Your body is missing everything you’re reliant on. I suppose people on Keto would do best.

I've done prolonged cleaning even with Gatorade and I still get extremely sick. Maybe that's unique to me.

Good luck.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was that before a procedure like colonoscopy or just a cleanse you chose to do?

It was before a colonoscopy but since I had trouble cleaning, I went longer than normal.