Liverpool FC

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I can't see Newcastle taking anything from this game. No top goal scorer in Callum Wilson, no top creator in Bruno Guimaraes (he's out 2 more games!) = no bueno. Unless Isak comes in and lights the world on fire, our midfield plays out of this world, and St. Maximin goes nuts, I just don't see it.

Caveat: If Elliot Anderson starts the game, he might plug the Guimaraes hole at least somewhat adequately. He's the only other really creative midfielder we have at the moment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see Newcastle taking anything from this game. No top goal scorer in Callum Wilson, no top creator in Bruno Guimaraes (he's out 2 more games!) = no bueno. Unless Isak comes in and lights the world on fire, our midfield plays out of this world, and St. Maximin goes nuts, I just don't see it.

Caveat: If Elliot Anderson starts the game, he might plug the Guimaraes hole at least somewhat adequately. He's the only other really creative midfielder we have at the moment.
It looks like Shelvey and Krafth will be out too. I think Liverpool wins this one 2-0.

Stout

Reaction score
It looks like Shelvey and Krafth will be out too. I think Liverpool wins this one 2-0.
Oh, yeah, that was known. Shelvey's out until probably after the WC, Krafth even longer (although he doesn't start), and he may miss the season. Plus there are other, smaller injuries. Agreed that a 2-0 is likely.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Only saw the extra extra extra time of this match. PL need to get a grip on time wasting and extra time. Leeds/Everton the ref did nothing about time wasting and didn’t even play the minimum stoppage time. Today the ref added enough time to let Liverpool score.

Stout

Reaction score
Only saw the extra extra extra time of this match. PL need to get a grip on time wasting and extra time. Leeds/Everton the ref did nothing about time wasting and didn’t even play the minimum stoppage time. Today the ref added enough time to let Liverpool score.
Yep. There's no way you can tell me there isn't inherent bias by PL refs to kiss big six ass after that. It was embarrassing, as if the ref were willing Liverfool on. How you get 8+ minutes of stoppage time out of that is unreal. If that were Newcastle pushing for the winner it would've been blown at 5 minutes exact.

I can say this--it took extra ref help and a last gasp to defeat an absolutely depleted Newcastle squad not half as good as Liverfoool's when healthy. They're not sniffing the title this season.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yep. There's no way you can tell me there isn't inherent bias by PL refs to kiss big six ass after that. It was embarrassing, as if the ref were willing Liverfool on. How you get 8+ minutes of stoppage time out of that is unreal. If that were Newcastle pushing for the winner it would've been blown at 5 minutes exact.

I can say this--it took extra ref help and a last gasp to defeat an absolutely depleted Newcastle squad not half as good as Liverfoool's when healthy. They're not sniffing the title this season.
I did hear that Newcastle were time wasting, I did not see the match though because I was watching Tottenham squander their match away. I thought the whistle should have blown immediately after the corner was kicked and the ball was played after 1 touch. I enjoyed watching Newcastle walk off to boos from the Liverpool fans. The ultimate sign of respect.

Honestly I’m sick of time wasting. It is the worst part of the game. I know Brit football fans that complain about play stoppage in American football and that being the reason they can’t watch it, but time wasting in football and stoppage time rocket science is equally maddening for me.

I think Jesse Marsch made some good points yesterday in his presser, but of corse he’s no Jurgen Klopp so the refs don’t listen to him and Frank Lampard just laughed it off after the match.

Also I enjoyed conte’s comments about VAR. VAR shouldn’t take 5 mins. And these tick tack offsides calls where they are breaking out the geometric compasses are ruining it for me. I think the benefit of the doubt should always be given to the attacking player.

Stout

Reaction score
I did hear that Newcastle were time wasting, I did not see the match though because I was watching Tottenham squander their match away. I thought the whistle should have blown immediately after the corner was kicked and the ball was played after 1 touch. I enjoyed watching Newcastle walk off to boos from the Liverpool fans. The ultimate sign of respect.

Honestly I’m sick of time wasting. It is the worst part of the game. I know Brit football fans that complain about play stoppage in American football and that being the reason they can’t watch it, but time wasting in football and stoppage time rocket science is equally maddening for me.

I think Jesse Marsch made some good points yesterday in his presser, but of corse he’s no Jurgen Klopp so the refs don’t listen to him and Frank Lampard just laughed it off after the match.

Also I enjoyed conte’s comments about VAR. VAR shouldn’t take 5 mins. And these tick tack offsides calls where they are breaking out the geometric compasses are ruining it for me. I think the benefit of the doubt should always be given to the attacking player.
I think Liverpool wanted to whine about supposed time wasting but Newcastle don't have a deep squad, and these players were gassed. Sure, they pushed the package a little in the 1st half, but nothing untoward. In the 2nd half there was a ton of cramp and whatnot. Giving the team a little stick for slowing the game down? Fair. Adding more than THREE EXTRA MINUTES when that was about double what time injuries took up in added time is garbage.

Hey, congrats, Liverfool. The refs still love you. Just like they cheated Newcastle against yinz last year. Go Man City!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think Liverpool wanted to whine about supposed time wasting but Newcastle don't have a deep squad, and these players were gassed. Sure, they pushed the package a little in the 1st half, but nothing untoward. In the 2nd half there was a ton of cramp and whatnot. Giving the team a little stick for slowing the game down? Fair. Adding more than THREE EXTRA MINUTES when that was about double what time injuries took up in added time is garbage.

Hey, congrats, Liverfool. The refs still love you. Just like they cheated Newcastle against yinz last year. Go Man City!
Haha well speaking of city, they just keep getting better and it’s kind of sickening when you look at the players that have cycled out. Their new striker basically wrapped up the golden boot today.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you kidding me? Newcastle was wasting time since about the 15th minute and the score was tried.

I will say that Newcastle probably didn't deserve to lose this game, but they definitely didn't deserve to win. Their time wasting was dispicable. Faking injuries, Pope going to the ground at every opportunity etc.

That said, Isak was unlucky to not score two goals. He has a bright future.

Stout

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Newcastle was wasting time since about the 15th minute and the score was tried.

I will say that Newcastle probably didn't deserve to lose this game, but they definitely didn't deserve to win. Their time wasting was dispicable. Faking injuries, Pope going to the ground at every opportunity etc.

That said, Isak was unlucky to not score two goals. He has a bright future.
Despicable :BIM: :)

Yeah, no on the "despicable" time wasting. Klopp tried to make a big deal out of it, but there's a big difference between rules-breaking time wasting and simply breaking the flow of the game. Pope would go to ground when he could, as was his right. If time wasting had been truly bad, that ref would have been all over them like stink on crap.

Again, Newcastle's squad is paper thin, and they played Sunday-Wednesday with the same midfielders. Weird that Jo would get a lot of cramp, huh? Not really.

It's just not a good look, that yet again another "big 6" team was bailed out by seemingly preferential ref treatment. If just once the shoe would go on the other foot, maybe I'd feel differently. If it were you lot that got beaten in the 8th minute of 5 stoppage minutes, you'd be through the roof.

But, the game's done and dusted now. Definitely feel aggrieved, but it's in the books. I agree on Isak. He looks like he can score for fun.

Stout

Reaction score
Busted--yesterday's game had the 9th most actual played time out of all the PL games this season. So, yeah, the time-wasting thing was just a lame whiny complaint by Klopp taken up by Liverfool supporters, and used as an excuse as to why they got preferential treatment.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despicable :BIM: :)

Yeah, no on the "despicable" time wasting. Klopp tried to make a big deal out of it, but there's a big difference between rules-breaking time wasting and simply breaking the flow of the game. Pope would go to ground when he could, as was his right. If time wasting had been truly bad, that ref would have been all over them like stink on crap.

Again, Newcastle's squad is paper thin, and they played Sunday-Wednesday with the same midfielders. Weird that Jo would get a lot of cramp, huh? Not really.

It's just not a good look, that yet again another "big 6" team was bailed out by seemingly preferential ref treatment. If just once the shoe would go on the other foot, maybe I'd feel differently. If it were you lot that got beaten in the 8th minute of 5 stoppage minutes, you'd be through the roof.

But, the game's done and dusted now. Definitely feel aggrieved, but it's in the books. I agree on Isak. He looks like he can score for fun.
It wasn't just Joe. Did you watch the game?

Stout

Reaction score
It wasn't just Joe. Did you watch the game?
I did. Like I said, out of all PL matches this season, it had the 9th most amount of actual played time. BS on the time wasting excuse. Liverpool were gifted extra time.

And sorry for earlier tones. Just a frustrating way to lose a match, especially with lots of perceived favoritism. I wanted to pull back on the rhetoric, thus reverting to using Liverpool :)

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did. Like I said, out of all PL matches this season, it had the 9th most amount of actual played time. BS on the time wasting excuse. Liverpool were gifted extra time.

And sorry for earlier tones. Just a frustrating way to lose a match, especially with lots of perceived favoritism. I wanted to pull back on the rhetoric, thus reverting to using Liverpool :)
Nobody would have said anything if Newcastle would have scored one minute earlier and one min after the allotted time.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Nobody would have said anything if Newcastle would have scored one minute earlier and one min after the allotted time.
well they did have one decent chance to score a few mins before Liverpool scored, even then I was wondering why the ref was still not blowing his whistle..at that point I didn't know the full story. but everyone knows Newcastle were holding for the draw.

Leeds vs. Everton the ref blew the whistle about 30 secs before the minimum amount of stoppage time was met. that is egregious, the only reason I can come up with is because he was tired of Jesse Marsch complaining about time wasting. That's my issue with the FA right now, they are too unpredictable with everything. there is too much dead time in football matches. Refs take way too long with VAR decisions and still don't know what to do if something is not clear and obvious. Var is causing ridiculous amounts of stoppage time or not enough if that even makes sense. if you watched the Chelsea Tottenham match they weren't even calling fouls that were basic yellow card tackles. Spurs had two goals that should not have counted...and I am a Tottenham fan. I'm just tired of watching the refs be so inconsistent.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only
well they did have one decent chance to score a few mins before Liverpool scored, even then I was wondering why the ref was still not blowing his whistle..at that point I didn't know the full story. but everyone knows Newcastle were holding for the draw.

Leeds vs. Everton the ref blew the whistle about 30 secs before the minimum amount of stoppage time was met. that is egregious, the only reason I can come up with is because he was tired of Jesse Marsch complaining about time wasting. That's my issue with the FA right now, they are too unpredictable with everything. there is too much dead time in football matches. Refs take way too long with VAR decisions and still don't know what to do if something is not clear and obvious. Var is causing ridiculous amounts of stoppage time or not enough if that even makes sense. if you watched the Chelsea Tottenham match they weren't even calling fouls that were basic yellow card tackles. Spurs had two goals that should not have counted...and I am a Tottenham fan. I'm just tired of watching the refs be so inconsistent.
The only time blowing the whistle 30 sec early is if one team is getting blown out by 3 goals or more and they are wanting to save face for the other team.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The only

The only time blowing the whistle 30 sec early is if one team is getting blown out by 3 goals or more and they are wanting to save face for the other team.
yeah which is understandable. In the Leeds/everton game it was a one goal or tie for the entire match and Leeds were pushing for a goal the whole game. Pickford was intentionally slow on his goal kicks for the whole game.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah which is understandable. In the Leeds/everton game it was a one goal or tie for the entire match and Leeds were pushing for a goal the whole game. Pickford was intentionally slow on his goal kicks for the whole game.
Oof.

Stout

Reaction score
Is it juvenile of me to still hate Pickford? Pope should be starting ahead of him for England :D

Stout

Reaction score
Ugh, I just used Liverpool in group therapy this morning--in a POSITIVE way lol

I was covering a recovery group where the assignment had been for vets to give their "recovery" songs and for the therapist to play them on Youtube, then discuss and process reasons and reactions. There was time left, and they wanted me to choose one, so...well, you can guess which one I used ;)

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I just used Liverpool in group therapy this morning--in a POSITIVE way lol

I was covering a recovery group where the assignment had been for vets to give their "recovery" songs and for the therapist to play them on Youtube, then discuss and process reasons and reactions. There was time left, and they wanted me to choose one, so...well, you can guess which one I used ;)
Haha. If it makes you feel any better, they laid an absolute egg against Brentford. Injuries are really starting to pile up, so Gakpo has to come out firing or we won't make the top 4.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Top 4 is looking like a pipe dream at this point - neither Salah or Darwin are finishing, and our midfield/D are in shambles. VVD now with the hurt hamstring won't help either.

Better make Champions league or any hope for Bellingham goes out the window. Lots of work to do.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Top 4 is looking like a pipe dream at this point - neither Salah or Darwin are finishing, and our midfield/D are in shambles.
Salah didn't score last night but prior had like 12 goals in 16 games. He isn't on some bad run of form that the media keeps saying. The midfield is the weak spot on the team right now and it isn't close.

I think if Gakpo comes out firing there is a slim hope. I haven't lost all faith on the top 4. Brentford is a really tough place to play.
VVD now with the hurt hamstring won't help either.
I think Konate/Matip can do just fine out there but the line will have to be a little bit tighter. VVD hasn't been himself all year.
Better make Champions league or any hope for Bellingham goes out the window. Lots of work to do.
Absolutely agree.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave