Lionel Messi Leaving Barcelona

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Trouble is, who is going to stump up enough of a transfer fee/offer enough of a salary to sign him? He's going to demand well above top dollar. Might not be a suitor.

OP
OP
Chaplin

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Trouble is, who is going to stump up enough of a transfer fee/offer enough of a salary to sign him? He's going to demand well above top dollar. Might not be a suitor.
Absolutely there will be. He’ll easily go to City or PSG.

Strange that they couldn’t get this done, especially after they signed Messi’s buddy Sergio Aguero.

Stout

Reaction score
Absolutely there will be. He’ll easily go to City or PSG.

Strange that they couldn’t get this done, especially after they signed Messi’s buddy Sergio Aguero.
But...for 200 million? 300 million? To pay him a million a week in wages? Forget silly money, this is going to take insane money.

Stout

Reaction score
No question it will be insane, but he'll definitely land at a prime club. No question at all. 100% certainty.
No doubt! I think it would be compelling if they couldn't conjure a deal because he's TOO big, he had to play out his contract, and sign on a free. Can you IMAGINE the agent fees and the wages? Woof!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, he goes to either PSG, or I'm calling my shot now, NYCFC or LA Galaxy in MLS. (assuming he truly doesn't go back to Barca, which is what I think ultimately happens)

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ligue 1 going to be boring as usual.
It is pretty amusing that Barca lost him for nothing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking like PSG. There's no way he goes to the MLS--the money isn't there.
Same was said about Beckham. I think they can do it if they really wanted.

Stout

Reaction score
Same was said about Beckham. I think they can do it if they really wanted.
Beckham took waaaaaaaaaay less money and wasn't the player Messi is at this stage of his career, though. Can I see Messi going there in 3, maybe 4 years after winning some more titles and trophies? Absolutely. Now? He's going to want to stay in Europe and show Barca up.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beckham took waaaaaaaaaay less money and wasn't the player Messi is at this stage of his career, though. Can I see Messi going there in 3, maybe 4 years after winning some more titles and trophies? Absolutely. Now? He's going to want to stay in Europe and show Barca up.

While I agree with everything you have said, Messi in the past has expressed his desire to go to the MLS. If PSG doesn't sign him, I'm not sure even City can afford him this window.
That leaves virtually nobody in Europe that can pay his current wages, which makes a ton more teams open as an option...including the MLS.

Stout

Reaction score
While I agree with everything you have said, Messi in the past has expressed his desire to go to the MLS. If PSG doesn't sign him, I'm not sure even City can afford him this window.
That leaves virtually nobody in Europe that can pay his current wages, which makes a ton more teams open as an option...including the MLS.
I didn't realize he was available on a free transfer--thought he still had a year left on his deal. So, yeah, he can definitely go anywhere that can afford his wages. As I said, I seriously doubt it's the MLS--yet. After 3 or 4 years, I expect him to go there, though.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Messi does have a home in Miami and Beckham is part owner of the Miami MLS franchise, I would not be shocked if after PSG contract is done he ends up there.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Messi will show up in MLS if/when he decides he wants an ownership stake

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson