"Like tomorrow has already happened and there is nothing you can do about it", Draft Day

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
That is the best scene, save for the "fix bayonets" scene, in the whole damn movie. Then again, there's the "general, I HAVE no division" scene. Damn, what a movie.
Yes, Pickett's response to General Lee after his ill-fated charge up Cemetery Ridge :raccoon:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah...that stretch was Graves and green.
But that's my point...a great draft or two good ones changes the narrative.
Or does it?
You say he never hits a single pick....
Yet he drafted nearly our entire defense, and some of those guys are pretty good.
Kyler, Hump, Edmonds, David Johnson....

He has only really failed to pick truly dominant players....those future HoF type guys, 6 time all pro kinda guys.

I think much of the hate for the guy is due to the head scratchers..... like picking AI when DK Metcalf was on the board.
But honestly for most cards fans it doesn't matter what he does. They gonna hate on the dude anyway.

I said this recently.

Fans rag on Keim because of drafting. Yet he's been at the helm of the most wins in a 10 year period ever.

Then they highlight Graves couple of good drafts which largely gave us a bunch of bad seasons.

Wins are the point right?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I said this recently.

Fans rag on Keim because of drafting. Yet he's been at the helm of the most wins in a 10 year period ever.

Then they highlight Graves couple of good drafts which largely gave us a bunch of bad seasons.

Wins are the point right?
Denny Greens drafts propelled us to a super bowl...it seems like most feel that without those types of drafts we will not get there again. They could be right.
but in those years we drafted top 10 nearly every year.
now, we draft around 20 every year. It makes a difference on the calibre of players you have access too.,,, our recent run of early picks get us kyler, simmons, and collins....im not upset at that....although, our DC may well ruin the linebackers..... but many forget how badly we got used by opposing tight ends the years before we got simmons.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yes, Pickett's response to General Lee after his ill-fated charge up Cemetery Ridge :raccoon:
"General, reform your division."

"General, I HAVE no division!"

A division in the military usually becomes combat ineffective with a 20% casualty rate, regardless of era. Pickett lost NINETY percent of his division. He wasn't lying!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
but many forget how badly we got used by opposing tight ends the years before we got simmons
We were great at covering opposing Tight Ends before Simmons even got here.

Look at how low the team is on here https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/fantasy-points-against-TE.htm

When Tony Jefferson came into his own, he was locking TEs up.

2017 was a little bit worse after Tony signed with Baltimore.

2019 was really bad, but team was working on a new team.

Simmons has had a few moments, but he is still more a negative asset than positive one. Unless you have very low expectations, you should be mad at that, especially over you guys Keim picked him over.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Welcome to “I can predict the future” 101.0

Too many unpredictables from #0 to #23 this year - multiple variables which can blow up the coolest of anyone‘s mock..

Just make sure your 2nd story window is locked when its our turn to draft.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I don’t know a lot of the guys people suggest all of the time but “if” someone is available and “if” we feel he is going to be that guy, why would you not take him even if he is 10-15 picks too soon? If Burks is the guy, take him. I’m tired of watching Keim play roulette and river boat gambler. Just pick the dude. It’s not like Keim or any GM is 100% right anyway.
Lol! Oh don’t worry. Whoever we pick we will be told the Cardinals we’re SHOCKED to see him still there at 23.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate when a player shoots up the board because of the combine. Unless he goes to the combine and proves he has recovered 100% from an injury.

The game film doesn’t lie. Watch the games, the level of competition and the said players surrounding cast.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As Cardinal fans we can already see it happening, Keim is going to draft the wrong guy when it's so obvious to us the perennial Pro Bowler which is still on the board along with 'his guy'. As Buford says in the movie "Gettysburg", "tomorrow has already happened and there is nothing you can do about it". Adrian Peterson, DJ Metcalf, take your pick on the missed opportunities. I say it's going to be Zion Johnson this year. Don't ask me who we will take instead because how do you expect me to predict something which defies logic. So, who is your guy, that obvious pick on a silver platter which Keim will ignore when we are on the clock... the round does not matter, just name who we might not capitalize on while the getting's good
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Can we stop with the Dk Metcalf stuff the damn Seahawks even passed on him twice in that draft.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess I don't give up on these #1 picks as easily as some of the people on here. I still think Simmons and last years pick will do well when given the chance. But, at the same time, of all the coaches we have, our DC concerns me the most with the way he has treated them. MOO.

But, I also liked Leinart. I think he was mis handled as well. :rolleyes:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think it’s bad practice to pick a guy at 23 that you have rated at 40, or so, because you don’t think he’ll be there when you pick again.

Pick your highest rated player and live with it.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Can we stop with the Dk Metcalf stuff the damn Seahawks even passed on him twice in that draft.
The reason I used Metcalf in the description is because of the very fact that some posters keep talking about that. I do not personally blame the Cards for that one (though the typical fan of more than the Cards seemed to have been screaming for him during the draft regardless of how many times he was passed over, and the intensity increased each time he was passed over, and it seems that time the fans actually got something right haha) but I realize I am posting a thought on a forum and not to myself, so used two examples most identifiable to the board which makes sense if I am establishing content a group of people would like to participate in... chill man lol

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think it’s bad practice to pick a guy at 23 that you have rated at 40, or so, because you don’t think he’ll be there when you pick again.

Pick your highest rated player and live with it.
And if the BPA left on your board is a guy ranked 40?
Take the guy?
Or trade the pick?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Trade down.

In most cases. If there was a plateau of similarly rated BPA’s, it might be a good reason to draft one who fills your need - For example, if, say, there were a cluster of BPA’s rated #25 - #35 (and #33 was an EDGE guy).