Let's talk wideouts

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many make the team? 6? 7? 8?

Who makes the cut?

Which of the rookies will have the best season?

Me: I say 7.

Fitzgerald, Kirk, White, Cooper (ST mainly), Isabella, Butler, Johnson.

As for the last, Isabella.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Who makes the cut?

I'm with you on 7, and the guys selected.

As far as the rookies go, I think Isabella and Butler kinda split it for different reasons. I think Butler's size means he'll see the field a little more often, since he contributes something the rest of the roster can't. But I think Isabella is a little more polished. I'm sure one will be better in yardage, one better in receptions, I just don't know yet.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Who makes the cut?

I say 7 make the final roster and I think your 7 is spot on.

I also believe Isabella has the best rookie season, he will see the field more than the others from day 1.

My one belief outside of that is that Johnson has a better rookie year than Butler as he is a better route runner and has better hands. Butler is more physically gifted but is more of a work in progress and is little more of a project. Someone made the comparison of Johnson to Frank Sanders and I can see that, although Sanders was a little faster coming out.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I also believe Isabella has the best rookie season, he will see the field more than the others from day 1.

My one belief outside of that is that Johnson has a better rookie year than Butler as he is a better route runner and has better hands. Butler is more physically gifted but is more of a work in progress and is little more of a project. Someone made the comparison of Johnson to Frank Sanders and I can see that, although Sanders was a little faster coming out.

Loved Frank Sanders, one if my all time favorite Cardinals.

Sanders and Rob Moore were a great combo. Too bad QB play and offensive line were so erratic back then.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think Isabella & Kirk are going to blow the hell up this year. Isabella is the Cooper Kupp to Kirk's Robert Woods. I know, I know, different offense. But the point remains IMO.

Butler will be a 30 to 40 catch guy but 3 or 4 of them will be play of the year level.

I think Isabella could catch 80 to 90 this year.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Loved Frank Sanders, one if my all time favorite Cardinals.

Sanders and Rob Moore were a great combo. Too bad QB play and offensive line were so erratic back then.

Sanders was one of my favorite players too, he was so productive in all areas except scoring, I don't know of a WR that made it inside the 10 yard line as often as he did that failed to score as much as he did. It was like a curse.

If Johnson can be "Sanders-lite" 12+ yds a catch, 3-4 TDs, I think we will take that out of a 6th round pick.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Isabella & Kirk are going to blow the hell up this year. Isabella is the Cooper Kupp to Kirk's Robert Woods. I know, I know, different offense. But the point remains IMO.

Butler will be a 30 to 40 catch guy but 3 or 4 of them will be play of the year level.

I think Isabella could catch 80 to 90 this year.
Idk, I think it would be something like this:

Woods = Kirk
Kupp = Johnson
Cooks = Isabella

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Yeah Isabella wasnt a slot guy at UMass. Most of his snaps are outside.
K2 & Raih have already said he will be an inside receiver for us.

I'm not saying he will be Kupp. I am saying that he will look and act like Kupp on the field though. Deep posts and crosses mixed in with 5yd mesh concepts.

The kid is going to shock some people.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

Yeah, I'm the one who made the Frank Sanders comparison. I have watched all our WRs we drafted and Johnson appears to run much crisper routes and even from the recent camp videos catches the ball more cleanly than Isabella or Butler. Being explosive at the position can be a game changer with Butler's physical size and Isabella's speed, but Jerry Rice for instance played for a number of years still being a season changer by running routes to perfection and being able to catch. The first job of a WR is catch the damn ball, and catch it when you are expected to... that's what keeps drives alive allowing one to score often

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Fitz
Kirk
Isabella
Butler
Johnson
White

Cooper and Sherfield are options, but I don't think they will make it. These are Kliff's guys, and they all seem to have a work ethic which will keep them from failing. White is probably the odd man out, but I believe they will use him to be able to ease Butler into the advanced pro game.

They will keep 7 if they need Cooper for his return ability.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Murray did an interview or talked with Matthew Berry from ESPN. Murray said Butler is his favorite target hence why Berry put butler in his sleeper list for fantasy WR. Murray views him as the 50/50 go and get it guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Murray did an interview or talked with Matthew Berry from ESPN. Murray said Butler is his favorite target hence why Berry put butler in his sleeper list for fantasy WR. Murray views him as the 50/50 go and get it guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This means jack from a rookie Qb who might be citing his favorite WR before the bullets fly for real... now in OTAs he likes to throw to his big guy but Fitz will make him see the light till a guy like Butler gets to craft his game as a pro :)

Kai

Veteran
Reaction score
This means jack from a rookie Qb who might be citing his favorite WR before the bullets fly for real... now in OTAs he likes to throw to his big guy but Fitz will make him see the light till a guy like Butler gets to craft his game as a pro :)
Also Larry can catch, Butler couldn't for his life

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Also Larry can catch, Butler couldn't for his life

No, Butler can catch but he is inconsistent if one is looking for a bread and butter WR on third and six... it's about concentration and let's see how Butler reacts once being a WR is the only objective on his plate, right now there is a lot Michael Floyd in him

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Have the great WR's ever struggled with pass catching inconsistencies throughout college & into the early stages of their pro careers? I seem to think Terrell Owens struggled early on with the Niners, but could be wrong. Obviously, because of his size, Butler looks like a great red zone option. But, if he doesn't learn to consistently catch the ball, his career will be average at best.

OP
OP
Dan H

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yup. TO catches by year: 35, 60, 67, 60, 97.

He didn't break 1,000 yards until year 3, and year 5 was really his breakout.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Have the great WR's ever struggled with pass catching inconsistencies throughout college & into the early stages of their pro careers? I seem to think Terrell Owens struggled early on with the Niners, but could be wrong. Obviously, because of his size, Butler looks like a great red zone option. But, if he doesn't learn to consistently catch the ball, his career will be average at best.
Adam Thielen, Wes Welker, Doug Baldwin, Rod Smith, Cris Carter...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Adam Thielen, Wes Welker, Doug Baldwin, Rod Smith, Cris Carter...

Cris Carter? I don't think his hands were ever called in to question, he was cut by the Eagles due to substance abuse problems.

Not sure about the others but I can't remember anyone questioning their ability to catch the ball.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Cris Carter? I don't think his hands were ever called in to question, he was cut by the Eagles due to substance abuse problems.

Not sure about the others but I can't remember anyone questioning their ability to catch the ball.
I mean, 4th round pick with only 5 catches his first season, 39 the next, and 45 in his final year with the Eagles? And then only 6 with the Vikings? Different era and all, drugs and alcohol clearly being a factor, but still, took him some time to get it together.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA