Let’s remember some losses

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
That was bad for sure. The loss to the Skins in 84 that cost us the division was most painful for me. The bogus roughing the passer call on EJ Junior cost us the game after an awesome comeback by Lomax and Green. League couldn’t go against the Skins and Theisman.

Was that the game where Neil O'Donoghue(AKA Bigbird) kicked it wide and missed a field goal with time expiring to leave the Cardinals with a 29-27 loss to the Redskins on the last play of the game in 1984? The loss cost us the NFC championship that year. I remember watching the game with my dad and just being absolutely crushed with the last second loss to the "Deadskins".

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You were one of the McAddley believers? Oh my! Eh, I can't complain. I was all about Skelton!
Not really, I was hopeful. It seemed like a pipe dream at the time...but the team went all out trying to tell us he was going to be good.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Too numerous to list all of my disappointments, but to be completely honest last year’s “Let’s stop playing competent football down the stretch” debacle made me completely crazy. Why? Because the 10-2 start absolutely sucked me in to thinking that maybe, just maybe the suffering may have finally come to an end. But no, instead we fall flat, lose to some pathetic opponents (Lions, Carson Wentz-led Colts) , then serve up perhaps the worst postseason showing in league history. WTF?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Was that the game where Neil O'Donoghue(AKA Bigbird) kicked it wide and missed a field goal with time expiring to leave the Cardinals with a 29-27 loss to the Redskins on the last play of the game in 1984? The loss cost us the NFC championship that year. I remember watching the game with my dad and just being absolutely crushed with the last second loss to the "Deadskins".
We had no timeouts. Instead of grounding the ball & giving Neil more time, Hanifan rushed the FG unit out on to the field. Granted, this was a 50 yarder. Neil wasn’t even reliable from 35. The officiating was horrendous all day, but especially pathetic on the Skins last drive. We stopped them on 4th down TWICE, and the officials saved them. What’s sad is that it was like 4th & 20 when they called the bogus roughing call on EJ Junior against Theisman. Exactly why I never felt bad for him when LT snapped his leg in half.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s the one. Killer loss that never should have been.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were a string of late game losses to start the 1997 season that was almost unfathomable as they piled up one after another (I still remember all these games vividly sans the Washington game which came back to memory after I looked up which game in this run was missing).

1. We blew a 21-3 lead to the Bengals on opening day after Centers fumbled the ball with less than 2 minutes to go. Blake to Carl Pickens with like 20 seconds left was the game winner.

We then beat Dallas in a crazy OT game on SNF. But after that…

2. Lost to Washington on the road in OT when Tommy Knight gave up a 30 yard walk off TD 19-13.

3. Lose in Tampa Bay 19-18, when were up 18-12 late in the fourth Q and had them facing 4th and 10 with like a minute left and they hit on a 35 yard-ish TD to win the game… Karl Williams somehow beat Aeneas on this drag route and the rest of the D was nowhere to be found.

4. I think it was the next week we led Minnesota at home 19-10 with four minutes left, totally blew the game and lost on a FG at the gun 20-19.

5. 13-10 OT @ Philly. This was Jake’s first game ever and they put him in down 7-3, midway thru the 4th, replacing Stoney Case, handing him the ball for the first time EVER at his own 5 yard line. Jake unbelievably Marched them 95 yards for a TD to take the lead with less than a minute left. So of course the D went out, gave up a game tying FG to put it into OT where we promptly lost 13-10.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Those games were brutal. That Minnesota game was the one time a loss literally made me nauseous. They had scored to make it 19-17 but somehow we wound up first and goal at the one. Three cracks at the middle of the line and we lose a yard. Ok, here comes Kevin Butler and if he makes the FG we are up 5 with about 40 secs to go. But, no, he doinks a 19 yarder off the post. Minny gets ball at 20 and their QB launches a moonball prayer that of course is caught in FG range and they kick one through at the gun.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely, positively has to be the Monday Night Game against the Bears. Nothing else is even close, even there have been hundreds of painful losses in my 59 years following this mess of a franchise. I sat in my home office in the dark until 3 am because there was no sense trying to sleep. My wife came downstairs at 0300 because I wasn’t in bed yet. I scared the hell out of her as I was just sitting in my office staring at a wall.
Sounds like me PA. That was the worst loss of my Cardinals lifetime outside of the Super Bowl. I pulled over on the side of the road and cried. I went home and sat in the dark as well til' about the same time. My co-workers though I was not going to show up to work the next day. Just a horrible, horrible memory.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, positively has to be the Monday Night Game against the Bears. Nothing else is even close, even there have been hundreds of painful losses in my 59 years following this mess of a franchise. I sat in my home office in the dark until 3 am because there was no sense trying to sleep. My wife came downstairs at 0300 because I wasn’t in bed yet. I scared the hell out of her as I was just sitting in my office staring at a wall.
No way. This was easily the funniest Cardinals loss of all time, followed by an EPIC ALL TIME Coach Meltdown and the board in its absolutely funniest form after the game.

That was the game Cardinals.Ken minted the RACKERS!!!’/Captain Kirk meme. One of the funniest things I had ever seen in the moment.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That Seattle loss at the end of the Whisenhunt regime was the worst ever in my book.

The outlook for the team was so dark.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No way. This was easily the funniest Cardinals loss of all time, followed by an EPIC ALL TIME Coach Meltdown and the board in its absolutely funniest form after the game.

That was the game Cardinals.Ken minted the RACKERS!!!’/Captain Kirk meme. One of the funniest things I had ever seen in the moment.
We were at mutt Lynch’s for that game. I think you were there, right? Wearing our cards gear and everyone was congratulating us and we kept saying “too early.” When we crumbled they all just looked at us incredulously for knowing what was coming.

Our jerseys won us a lot street cred in sports bars back in the day. People were impressed we repped such a wretched team so consistently.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
The Bear loss stands out to me. What about the game in '90 blowing a 19-10 4th quarter lead to the Giants at the Meadowlands? Was that the wind tunnel game when the stadium staff opened up a door letting wind aid their GW field goal by Matt Bahr?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bear loss stands out to me. What about the game in '90 blowing a 19-10 4th quarter lead to the Giants at the Meadowlands? Was that the wind tunnel game when the stadium staff opened up a door letting wind aid their GW field goal by Matt Bahr?

Also lost the game to the Jets when Q got his face broken. 56-35, brutal

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were at mutt Lynch’s for that game. I think you were there, right? Wearing our cards gear and everyone was congratulating us and we kept saying “too early.” When we crumbled they all just looked at us incredulously for knowing what was coming.

Our jerseys won us a lot street cred in sports bars back in the day. People were impressed we repped such a wretched team so consistently.
Yup.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The top losses in our minds (my wife and I) will always be the Super Bowl in Tampa and the Titans game in Nashville the next season (same calendar year). We were at both. Cardinals had the lead in both games with exactly 2:37 on the clock only to lose both in heartbreaking fashion. One to Big Ben and the other to Vince Young.

Another one that stands out was history-making. In 2007, we lost to the Niners in OT on a Warner fumble in the end zone (the first time a game in OT had ended on a fumble recovery in an end zone). Broke an 8-game losing streak for the Niners.

OP
OP
gmabel830

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
The top losses in our minds (my wife and I) will always be the Super Bowl in Tampa and the Titans game in Nashville the next season (same calendar year). We were at both. Cardinals had the lead in both games with exactly 2:37 on the clock only to lose both in heartbreaking fashion. One to Big Ben and the other to Vince Young.

Another one that stands out was history-making. In 2007, we lost to the Niners in OT on a Warner fumble in the end zone (the first time a game in OT had ended on a fumble recovery in an end zone). Broke an 8-game losing streak for the Niners.
Oh I remember that Titans game.. Vince Young v Matt Leinart. I was traveling for work and didn't get the game on TV where I was. Was on the phone with my now wife at the end of the game..... "4th down, here comes the game... PRESSURE.... HE'S SCRAMBLING AROUND... touchdown"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That was another classic Rackers game where he missed a 37 yarder to win it. Right after I think Wiz iced his own kicker.

Also a game where Larry caught a Hail Mary at the half. And a game where we had scratched and clawed to get into playoff position only to of course fall at home to a terrible Niners team.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was probably posted earlier. Losing to a Jets team, at home, that wound up 1-15, was so Cardinalsesque. One of the times i was so angry i swore off my season tickets. Only to reup again after the draft. Lol. Hope never dies!

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was probably posted earlier. Losing to a Jets team, at home, that wound up 1-15, was so Cardinalsesque. One of the times i was so angry i swore off my season tickets. Only to reup again after the draft. Lol. Hope never dies!
Ugh. Adrian Murrell had almost 200 yds in that game and had like an 80 yd run late in that game to ice it for the Jets.

That Cards team with Kent Graham was the best!!! Lol. Nice guy, but man, he always seemed to get brutally sacked.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have never seen a player spike their helmet as hard or as high as Seth Joyner did over a BS call in that game. I think it was early in the second quarter when Adrian Murrell stepped on him after a play and Joyner gave a retaliatory shove (or grabbed his leg) which drew a penalty flag and he just lost it and took off his helmet and spiked it and it bounced so high into the air...which got him ejected.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have never seen a player spike their helmet as hard or as high as Seth Joyner did over a BS call in that game. I think it was early in the second quarter when Adrian Murrell stepped on him after a play and Joyner gave a retaliatory shove (or grabbed his leg) which drew a penalty flag and he just lost it and took off his helmet and spiked it and it bounced so high into the air...which got him ejected.
Yes. Loved to watch Joyner play but he did have a roid rage problem. Murrell ran wild on us in that game. Then, we wound up signing him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Watching Bears loss right now. Forgot that Fitz was out. Cardinals dropped two interceptions in 1st quarter alone.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose