Leonard Pope Highlights

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
wow he looks good :)

Fast, agile, and tough to bring down and the drive to go the extra inch, foot, or yard.

Barring injuries or trouble picking up the playbook, I cannot see how he isn't starting week 1. If he isn't starting at the beginning of the season, he won't finish the season as a backup. Great pick :) Thanks for the highlights!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the one guy I guarantee will be starting week 1.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They couldn't pass on this guy in the third. Will be huge on 3rd down and in the red zone.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Depends on what Denny wants. He is big, tall target, but only an average blocker. It could take him a few games to hit his stride. By the end of the year? Sure. To start? That's tough for almost any rookie to do.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
Depends on what Denny wants. He is big, tall target, but only an average blocker. It could take him a few games to hit his stride. By the end of the year? Sure. To start? That's tough for almost any rookie to do.

he already better than te on the cardinals roster. their is always a learning curve for a te or any rookie for that matter. he already penciled in to start. it is up to pope to decide if he wants to ride the bench.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
After watching that hilight reel, most of his big plays came off of a play-action fake. This will be good if teams fear James and key in on the run.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope most of us TIVO'd the NFLNet Combine workouts. Go to the one for TE's.

Pope looked like the most natural pass catcher of all the TE's (and just about all of the top ones including V Davis and M Lewis were at the Combine). He looked as though he could catch passes full stride blindfolded.

His only negative (confirmed by DG) is that he's a tall guy and has to really bend his knees to get underneath blocking targets to exert leverage. If he can fix that and continue to fill in that huge frame, he will be awesome.

OP
OP
blindseyed

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Hope most of us TIVO'd the NFLNet Combine workouts. Go to the one for TE's.

Pope looked like the most natural pass catcher of all the TE's (and just about all of the top ones including V Davis and M Lewis were at the Combine). He looked as though he could catch passes full stride blindfolded.

His only negative (confirmed by DG) is that he's a tall guy and has to really bend his knees to get underneath blocking targets to exert leverage. If he can fix that and continue to fill in that huge frame, he will be awesome.

And I'm willing to bet that DG and the rest od the coaching staff will be working on that specifically. I really like this pick. I was really amazed when I saw the highlights of this guy. Very natural pass catcher. He has the potential to be a stud!!

seesred

Reaction score
The Crdainals did in fact pick the POPE and the smoke came out of the duct announcing a POPE that will rhien for a decade or more. We will call him Pope tall man the first!

GBR

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I am not a big leinart fan, but his highlights are awsome...

artp

Registered
Reaction score
Living in Ar, I am a big SEC fan. TE Pope was drafted where he needed to be, IMO. He had a difficult time getting off the line of scrimmage. Once Pope got that big body moving, he was impressive. But, he was not explosive off the line of scrimmage.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
I'm glad we addressed this position.

When we got our new OC last year, the media talked about how he helped make Tony Gonzales into a star and that his offensive philosophy was based around using a TE. If this is true, then the guy did a good job having only undrafted TE's to work with. Also, teams knew that if Edwards was in the line-up we'd probably run, and if Bergen was in we'd probably pass. It gave them a heads-up on what we were going to do. Now we hopefully have one guy who can do both. Imagine if Pope's ability actually gets Fitz and Q more open looks. Our offense could be really, really good within the next two years.

It will be hard to double team anybody, even if BJ remains an "average" WR.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
azsouthendzone said:
Leinart's highlights are absolutely sick. Am I still dreaming??

I know. The guy looks amazing. The only knock on him I can see is that most of his passes are touch passes and not bullets, but man each of those in that video is right on the dot. Amazing accuracy and he seems to always hit his receiver in stride.

Did you notice he always seems to pick the correct shoulder to throw the ball over so that the cover man never has a chance at it? I haven't seen a Cardinal QB do that...well...ever.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
vince56 said:
I know. The guy looks amazing. The only knock on him I can see is that most of his passes are touch passes and not bullets, but man each of those in that video is right on the dot. Amazing accuracy and he seems to always hit his receiver in stride.

Did you notice he always seems to pick the correct shoulder to throw the ball over so that the cover man never has a chance at it? I haven't seen a Cardinal QB do that...well...ever.
But so is Warner's... I'm not that worried about his arm strengh.

Regarding Pope. From what I has read about him he had the 2nd highest potential behind Davis, but was the most player among the top TEs. I doubt he'll start ahead of Bergen this season

OP
OP
blindseyed

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
vince56 said:

Notice how much time he has to throw in alot of those highlights...our OL better step it up big time!

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
His drive for the end zone is just freaking amazing... hard core, non-stop desire to get in there... absolute final fill on key offensive positions.... Pope looks awesome and should highlight the good we already had... :thumbup:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
That dude's gonna need a new number, too. :)

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
krepitch said:
That dude's gonna need a new number, too. :)
#82 in the Cards Player media guide.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! The long arms and height will do a lot to make him a passing target in the red zone. Thanks for the video hook up.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched the highlights of Pope.

Wow, he's a real athletic big guy.

IMO, he will be one hell of a redzone force.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA