Leinart's Training Film

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Mile Freeman's column regarding Matt Leinart's workout video sure isn't flattering. I sure hope that when Matt get's his chance he can prove this guy wrong.

"Leinart attempts to use the video to convince the world that he's a rock-solid bad ass by doing MMA-style workouts. And that's the problem. Leinart is always trying to convince people he's a professional athlete instead of just doing it.

The video to me actually has the opposite effect and makes Leinart look like an actor, a pretender attempting to be something he's not. It smells of desperation."

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11841608

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Haha, sometimes its best to keep your mouth shut... From the comments.

Eman35 Wrote:

...Freeman says Leinart needs to shut up and just do it. Maybe Freeman should have done the same a few years ago and actually graduated from Delaware instead of lying about it and getting fired for it. check out this from the Washington Post...

Puffed-Up Risumi Costs Sportswriter a New Job

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, January 10, 2004; Page C04

A longtime New York Times sportswriter who left to join the Indianapolis Star has resigned from his new job after admitting that he falsified his résumé.

Mike Freeman, who covered professional football and basketball and did investigative reporting at the Times, apologized for telling the Star that he was a graduate of the University of Delaware. He said he attended the school for four years but did not graduate.

"These were lies," Freeman, 37, said in a statement posted on the Web site SportsPages.com. He added: "This was a terrible and unforgivable manipulation of the facts. . . . It was the only time I have told such falsehoods and no other deceptions have ever appeared in any of my newspaper stories or two books at any time in my 16 years of practicing journalism. Nevertheless, the information I gave the Star was wrong and I will be punished with the loss of my newspaper career."

Star Editor Dennis Ryerson said in an interview yesterday that he had accepted the resignation, although this was "a bit awkward" because Freeman had not yet started his job as a columnist.

"The message is, he will not be working at the Star," he said. "I'm very sorry about the way it turned out." Ryerson added that a college degree is not required to work at the Star, and in fact, he does not have one.

Ryerson disclosed the news to readers through the paper's Web site yesterday afternoon.

Freeman worked for The Washington Post in 1988 and again from 1990 to 1992, covering pro football. He has also written for the Dallas Morning News and Boston Globe. Freeman is the author of "Bloody Sundays: Inside the Dazzling, Rough-and-Tumble World of the NFL," published last year, and the 2000 book "ESPN: The Uncensored History."

In July, he reported for the Times on allegations of academic misconduct involving Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett.

In his statement, Freeman said "there are no excuses or alibis" for misrepresenting his résumé. "This is my fault and my fault alone. Most of all, I have hurt and disappointed close friends and family, particularly my wife, and for this I am truly sorry. I also want to apologize to the Star."

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
hahahaha OWNED. talk about throwing stones in a glass house. he needs to get another job because im sure there are 50 people with that copy pasted at the ready.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Freeman is stupid.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Wow, that is some tough criticism.

But of course we all know that the national media, and you average fan knows everything about the Cardinals. :rolleyes:

What ever this guy has no idea what he is talking about, and half the comments underneath hold no water.

Hence why I get my Cardinals news from the official website, and people on this board. The ONLY people in the country who are in the know about Cardinals football.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Leinart is doing. He's getting in much better shape and that bodes very well for the team. Like Glazer explained, it pushes him through his limits. End of story.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
MMA Workouts can only help Leinart, what is this reporter's problem-o?

Unsterblich856

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gotta love the "damned if you did, damned if you didn't" philosophy. At this point, everything Leinart does is grasping at straws at his fading career, and everything he doesn't do is because he is a lazy prima dona.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I'm more disgusted with Victor Hobson AGAIN trying to grab all the headlines.

That guy is always trying to do something to get attention. I can't believe there aren't more articles about how self serving this whole MMA thing is for Victor Hobson. He's clearly only doing this to get even more national attention.

Very pathetic and immature, Victor...

:sarcasm:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the point of the video was to make people believe ML's an ultimate fighter, then yeah, he's a pretender. If, as most of the right-thinking world believes, that the video is evidence of his dedication in the offseason, then ML seems to have turned a corner in his mental game.

JMHO

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok folks let me give just a little insight into what I saw.

This is white belt patti cake stuff. MMA is no different from any other MA anything else is a sale pitch. In any style the training methods vary to some degree as does some of the emphasis.

However what they are doing is basic training, nobody in their right mind would let ML do real MA training ... why .. ask my knees, and other body parts.

That is a PR video as is the whole idea, that is not where MA is best used to help football but that is a whole different story.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
That is a PR video as is the whole idea, that is not where MA is best used to help football but that is a whole different story.
Which is the concern for some. Leinart or his agent seem to be advertising just how dedicated Leinart is. Maybe he's too much of a celebrity and it leaks out but it isn't unreasonable to conclude that this story and/or the Tom Brady story is staged for a specific purpose.

Why is this article a "story" or any more effective than the hours of work that Clark Haggans puts in at the boring ol' Cardinals facility every day?

This is year four for Leinart and it bothers me that he isn't self-motivated enough to push himself really hard in his workouts. Seeking Jay Glazer(who just "coincidentally" <wink><wink> is a Fox tv personality) to teach him how to push past his limits or becoming mentally tough with MMA is farcical to me. All it comes across as is a publicity stunt.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, nidan. Interesting insight. More fluff from Leinart.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ML detractors will see what they want to see, just as the backers will see what they want to see. Why expect less in our ever polarized society?

Could the truth be that it is indeed a PR effort framed around ML's legitimate renewed commitment?

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
ML detractors will see what they want to see, just as the backers will see what they want to see. Why expect less in our ever polarized society?

Could the truth be that it is indeed a PR effort framed around ML's legitimate renewed commitment?
Pariah! For the last time quit trying to be rational to get your point across. There is no middle ground on ML. He either sucks or is the next Saint Cardinal.

Kapeesh?

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Truth.

Really the kid can't win until he is on the field. Otherwise everything positive he does is contrived and everything negative he does is what was to be expected.

I am proud of Matt. As much as the MMA videos, and charity stuff is great and rightfully publicized its what the coaches and players say and what he DOESN'T say (trade demands) that speaks to the player he is becoming.

For anyone who thinks silence isn't the right course in this case just look to Tennessee for what it could be.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
That's the thing, though. The Leinart news has been continual and gradually escalating. I was impressed with the reports that Leinart was biding his time and happy for the team during the playoff run but now, looking back, it's like who cares what he thinks? No one cares what Byron Leftwich or Jim Sorgi or Billy Volek, etc. thought during their team's playoff runs.

Then we get this year's "who's Leinart working out with?" story. This year it was Tom Brady. Anyone know who Jon Kitna was working out with this offseason? Last year, Leinart was hob-******** with Joe Montana in the offseason but at least he was still technically the starter at that point.

Now, we get the Jay Glazer MMA training program to being a more mentally tough QB. I mean, are we talking about Matt Leinart, an NFL QB who may be the face of the Cardinals franchise or Jose Canseco? That's what Leinart is starting to look like to me. A guy that will do anything and everything to keep his name in the news and that is a stark contrast to my hope that he was off in the corner, focusing on being a QB and not letting his third chance, when it comes, get away.

Rabbit slapping some padded foam doesn't inspire my confidence in him being a better QB. MMA may be a great path to physical fitness but I honestly didn't have any concerns about Leinart's endurance or cariovascular levels. I'd be willing to bet that none of this stuff will make his footwork better or make him throw the ball more accurately. And those are the things I care about from him.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the thing, though. The Leinart news has been continual and gradually escalating. I was impressed with the reports that Leinart was biding his time and happy for the team during the playoff run but now, looking back, it's like who cares what he thinks? No one cares what Byron Leftwich or Jim Sorgi or Billy Volek, etc. thought during their team's playoff runs.

Then we get this year's "who's Leinart working out with?" story. This year it was Tom Brady. Anyone know who Jon Kitna was working out with this offseason? Last year, Leinart was hob-******** with Joe Montana in the offseason but at least he was still technically the starter at that point.

Now, we get the Jay Glazer MMA training program to being a more mentally tough QB. I mean, are we talking about Matt Leinart, an NFL QB who may be the face of the Cardinals franchise or Jose Canseco? That's what Leinart is starting to look like to me. A guy that will do anything and everything to keep his name in the news and that is a stark contrast to my hope that he was off in the corner, focusing on being a QB and not letting his third chance, when it comes, get away.

Rabbit slapping some padded foam doesn't inspire my confidence in him being a better QB. MMA may be a great path to physical fitness but I honestly didn't have any concerns about Leinart's endurance or cariovascular levels. I'd be willing to bet that none of this stuff will make his footwork better or make him throw the ball more accurately. And those are the things I care about from him.
Point proved.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wasn't commenting on ML, I think he is the future. Just the film is worthless

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't commenting on ML, I think he is the future. Just the film is worthless
I don't think the point of the film is to show you ML is now an MMA fighter, but rater that he's pushing himself physically instead of spending the offseason with beerbongs, babes and hot tubs.

Is it a PR effort? Sure. But his image has taken some hits, and it was in need of repair. Why not publicize his workouts?

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my point, it wasn't a workout it was a PR shoot.

Pariah I teach that stuff and have done so for a very long time