Least Stressful Cardinals Draft - EVER!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a strange feeling it was to follow the draft this year. Never had a knot in my stomach. I never even felt a little bit anxious. No, "Oh God, we HAVE to draft __________ ______________ !" Or, "My God, only two rounds left and we still have glaring needs left at OT, TE and CB."! Instead, just sat back and enjoyed it. The only real headscratcher, for me, was the RB from Pitt in the 7th. When THAT'S my biggest beef === I don't have a beef.

that's just so different from all the other drafts. The worst of all was the year we just HAD to draft Suggs. Or, at least Marcus Trufant. We had just had two years setting records for fewest sacks ever, ranking in the 30s in pass defense. We did the infamous trade down... and i just wanted to :barf:

Man, I could get used to this! :iwin:

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
I felt pretty good all draft day also, after wells and Brown yesterday...Was hoping we'd trade up and get someone early today, but Whizz didn't see the need so we did not pull the trigger.. All Good! my trust isin whizz...

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very true, aj. Even though round 1 went at warp speed, it seemed interminable. A slow waltz to the expected end.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me, it's stressful every year. (This draft it was "The Beanie Wells Death Watch for several hours Saturday).

But I agree that the current Cardinals approach to drafting along with the competency of the guys running our scouting and drafting made me feel relatively secure that, no matter what happened, there would be no (Clyde Duncan or Suggs for Bryant/Pace) major surprises coming out of left field.

They just keep picking off the highest guys left on their board and, as in years past, a Wells (or a Maualuga) drops to #31 and a Canfield drops all the way to #254. Great value which, over time, upgrades our roster relative to other teams.

It works.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I was still stressed. Uncertianty about Boldin, needed a strong draft after going to the Super Bowl, its the same staff that did draft Buster Davis and there can always be another one no matter what team you follow.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
I was going to post something similar. I love the draft and every year I like looking after the profiles and videos. This year I still did the normal routine, but did not get worried when we drafted. This team just does not have many needs right now except for maybe OLB or pass rushers on the front 7.

This year I was able to wash my car, walk the dogs, clean the house, and clip the lawn before we even picked. Usually I am hoping someone drops and rumbling through countless paper checking on the pics.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was very nice not having the feeling that if so and so at everyone of our picks wasn't drafted by us the season was already lost. In the past we needed to hit on every single pick just to have a chance to be competitive.

I would love to see the FO become the players on draft day that the Eagles and Pats are but that's just to make the draft more entertaining for me. Can't argue with the success our FO is having in the past 3 to 4 years.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Best part of the draft was seeing players get drafted by the Cardinals and knowing that they are not thinking "crap" anymore

Also, even before the commish said Well's name, I got to hear him say "With the 31st pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the NFC Campion Arizona Cardinals select..."

Pretty unreal experience for a longtime Cards fan.

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
Yeah, I only got antsy leading up to the first round pick, hoping Wells would be there. After that, it was smooth sailing.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
for once, the Cardinals weren't in need of immediate starters from guys drafted after the first rd. I like the Cardinals draft but more for 2 yrs down the road. There is immediate help in RB Wells, but most are a good bridge to the post QB K Warner era

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I actually giggled in joy a few times, thinking, 'man, is it really THIS easy to pick so well?' I mean, our top 3 rounds were about as sweet as can be, given the board when we selected each time.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was still stressed. Uncertianty about Boldin, needed a strong draft after going to the Super Bowl, its the same staff that did draft Buster Davis and there can always be another one no matter what team you follow.

I wasn't worried too much about that. This staff only had 3 months on the job before the 2007 draft with no on field exposure to the players and did much better in 2008 after having gained that experience and exposure.

As for there being another Buster Davis for the Cards or any other team; has there been another 3rd round pick who didn't even make the practice squad in the last 25 years?

Darwin Walker made it to opening day before being released the next week.

Even Rugby Muffin's all-time favorite Cardinal, Colin Scotts, made the lineup for awhile.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave