Late Round Picks

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The buzz is mostly about Wiggins. Injuries have reduced his perceived value but the consensus is he could develop into a decent safety. He has the talent to play either spot and if he can stay healthy he could even start one day. In the meantime he figures to be a great addition to special teams.

Menet is a wasted pick. That’s a tough thing to say about a dedicated PSU lineman. He is simply not athletically capable of playing in the NFL even as a backup. The spirit is willing. The body is lacking.

The two CBs are interesting. There are scouts who believe these guys have a shot. The weird part is there is no consensus of which one has the best shot. Wilson is the best athlete but if you’ve read my other posts on him, unless his issue was maturity based I don’t see him as a prospect. Gowan honestly doesn’t appeal to me but there are good evaluators who tell me he has a chance. He was held back by injury & COVID, leaving him underdeveloped. At best he’ll start on the practice squad. He’s a long term project.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks Harry, what about the Dimukeje.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Menet is an odd one. He was very highly recruited out of high school because of his athleticism. His 40 and short shuttle were off the charts apparently and he was dunking in 9th grade.

But the consensus seems to be that doesn't show up on tape and he didn't test at his pro day due to injury.

Maybe the Cards are banking on that athleticism still being there.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Read this about Menet
Matthew Filipovits on April 28, 2021 at 11:08 am @mattflip42
You must be registered for see images attach

247Sports
Email this ArticleShare on RedditShare on TwitterShare on Facebook
Michal Menet came to Penn State as one of the most coveted offensive line prospects in the country. The Reading, PA native was the Nittany Lion's starting center for three seasons and served as a captain for two of them. Now, he'll look to bring a steady presence to a NFL team looking to bolster their interior offensive line.

You must be registered for see images attach

Michal Menet
Position: Offensive Lineman
Height/Weight: 6'4/301 lbs.
Hometown: Reading (NJ)
Recruiting Ranking: ★★★★(0.9818)
Strengths At a Glance: Strength, Consistency, Run blocking
Weaknesses At a Glance: Athleticism
CAREER SUMMARY
An early enrollee, Menet took a redshirt his first season to campus to put on some weight and for the staff to figure out if he was best served to be a center or a guard. He appeared in 12 games the following season before locking down the starting center job as a redshirt sophomore ahead of the 2018 season.

MENET CAREER STATS
GAMES STARTS
12 0
2018 13 12
2019 13 13
2020 9 9
TOTAL 47 34
He was a solid contributor from the start, helping protect Trace McSorley and pave the way for Miles Sanders. The highlight of that season came against Michigan State, where Menet and Co. helped the Nittany Lions rush for over 200 yards against the Michigan State Spartans, the nation's top rush defense at the time.

He kept the momentum going in 2019 while greatly improving his pass blocking. He quickly became the leader of Penn State's offensive line room and was named a team captain, an honor he would also hold in 2020. Despite flirting with the NFL, he decided to return for his senior season, where he greatly benefited from playing under Phil Trautwein. He earned Third-Team All-Big Ten from both the coaches and the media and earned an invite to the Senior Bowl.

STRENGTHS
Strength...Experienced...Plays low...Run blocking...Plays through the whistle...Great leadership skills

WEAKNESSES
Athleticism...Pass blocking still needs some work

SUMMARY
Michal Menet doesn't have very many holes in his game. He's a fantastic run blocker and has the film to back it up. While his pass blocking needs some work, he's strong enough to handle the bigger interior defensive linemen he'll see at the professional level. He's best suited to remain at center, but it wouldn't hurt for a team to try him out at guard just to see if there's something there. Menet is going to be a great value grab for a team in the late rounds and should have a spot on an NFL roster for years to come.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The buzz is mostly about Wiggins. Injuries have reduced his perceived value but the consensus is he could develop into a decent safety. He has the talent to play either spot and if he can stay healthy he could even start one day. In the meantime he figures to be a great addition to special teams.

Menet is a wasted pick. That’s a tough thing to say about a dedicated PSU lineman. He is simply not athletically capable of playing in the NFL even as a backup. The spirit is willing. The body is lacking.

The two CBs are interesting. There are scouts who believe these guys have a shot. The weird part is there is no consensus of which one has the best shot. Wilson is the best athlete but if you’ve read my other posts on him, unless his issue was maturity based I don’t see him as a prospect. Gowan honestly doesn’t appeal to me but there are good evaluators who tell me he has a chance. He was held back by injury & COVID, leaving him underdeveloped. At best he’ll start on the practice squad. He’s a long term project.

And Shipley's arms were too short to ever play center in the NFL. All the experts say he'd never make it because the body was lacking. It's not always the truth, though. My PSU homerism wins :)

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Thanks Harry, what about the Dimukeje.
He’s a plodder. He’s high effort but not very mobile. He could make the roster as rotation depth but he’s not better than what they have. He’ll give them an honest day’s work, but he won’t excel. Just a good guy who fills a roster.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He’s a plodder. He’s high effort but not very mobile. He could make the roster as rotation depth but he’s not better than what they have. He’ll give them an honest day’s work, but he won’t excel. Just a good guy who fills a roster.
Similar game and build as Markus Golden is what struck me first. No idea if he can develop into that, but that seems to be the idea.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Menet is directly competing with Gaillard for a spot as backup interior lineman on the roster. The job is Hudson's for the next handful of years period.

I saw that video earlier about us picking up Javian Hawkins as a UDFA running back and got pretty excited until it was shown to be a mistake. Falcons got him. I'd have though we really would have been a lot more active on the UDFA market seeing how we still have holes at RB and TE.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Like I said in the Draft selection thread for Menet... "Someone has to carry Hudson's pads after practice!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave