Last Night in Soho

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll pass. I'm taking a vacation from Edgar Wright films until someone convinces me he's learned to strike a better balance between style and substance. His characters are cool, dialogue is often witty but there's always something missing for me in his movies, even the ones I mostly like (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'll pass. I'm taking a vacation from Edgar Wright films until someone convinces me he's learned to strike a better balance between style and substance. His characters are cool, dialogue is often witty but there's always something missing for me in his movies, even the ones I mostly like (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz).
Do you watch Zack Snyder films?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you watch Zack Snyder films?

Off the top of my head, I'd say I've just watched 3 of his movies. I despised 300, was bored by Man of Steel and disappointed by the Vegas zombie movie. And I wouldn't even have watched the Army of the Dead if Bautista wasn't one of my favorites.

I greatly prefer Edgar Wright if you're asking if I feel the same way about the two. I love aspects of Wright's movies but once you get past those aspects, his movies are drawn out and lackluster. I think Wright needs a wiser hand to tighten up his movies, Snyder needs to find something he's good at - maybe in the fast food industry?

Keep in mind, I'm only speaking about them from the perspective of my tastes. I know my opinion isn't universally held.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I'd say I've just watched 3 of his movies. I despised 300, was bored by Man of Steel and disappointed by the Vegas zombie movie. And I wouldn't even have watched the Army of the Dead if Bautista wasn't one of my favorites.

I greatly prefer Edgar Wright if you're asking if I feel the same way about the two. I love aspects of Wright's movies but once you get past those aspects, his movies are drawn out and lackluster. I think Wright needs a wiser hand to tighten up his movies, Snyder needs to find something he's good at - maybe in the fast food industry?

Keep in mind, I'm only speaking about them from the perspective of my tastes. I know my opinion isn't universally held.
I love Edgar Wright, but I've also seen all of Snyder's movies and find him pretty terrible. I can see where you see the style over substance, and the best example of that is probably Scott Pilgrim. But that movie (and the Cornetto Trilogy) all have one thing that Snyder's movies don't: They are much more fun than anything Snyder has done.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last Night in Soho

Release Date: October 28, 2021
Studio: Film4 Productions
Director: Edgar Wright
MPAA Rating: R for bloody violence, sexual content, language, brief drug material and brief graphic nudity
Screenwriters: Edgar WrightKrysty Wilson-Cairns
Genre: Drama | Thriller | Horror

Starring: Terence Stamp, Matt Smith, Anya Taylor Joy, Diana Rigg, Thomasin McKenzie, Rita Tushingham, Synnove Karlsen, Michael Ajao

Plot Summary: An aspiring fashion designer is mysteriously able to enter the 1960s where she encounters a dazzling wannabe singer. But the glamour is not all it appears to be and the dreams of the past start to crack and splinter into something darker.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it opening night!! Loved it! It started a little slow, but once it starts, it doesn't stop!