Large sqft gaming router

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, that's not what I expected to hear. I was under the impression that they were more advanced. I'm going to have to dig more now. I'm been mad at my Netgear wifi router and had been thinking of doing Ubiquiti APs so I starting to look for router options that do and have the features I want. Key card functionality isn't one of them though. :) Mainly looking for better metering, VPN support, forwarding things correctly, etc.
More advanced than Netgear? Out the box, sure. Netgear router flashed with Merlin? Using the UI, not in my opinion.

If you do know SSH though, that definitely changes things.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
More advanced than Netgear? Out the box, sure. Netgear router flashed with Merlin? Using the UI, not in my opinion.

If you do know SSH though, that definitely changes things.
Wait, there's Merlin for Netgear??? I thought it was ASUS only. I'm going to have to check that out.

SSH, while not my favorite, isn't an issue. I'm a programmer and have been using unix systems for almost 30 years now. I've had to use it once or twice. :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, there's Merlin for Netgear??? I thought it was ASUS only. I'm going to have to check that out.

SSH, while not my favorite, isn't an issue. I'm a programmer and have been using unix systems for almost 30 years now. I've had to use it once or twice. :)
You are right about Merlin/Asus. Voxel did just release something but I don't have any experience with it.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, I'm going with ethernet drops. Have a contractor at $130 per room. Going to hard wire the two xbox's and have hardwire access in any and every room so as kids move out, I have office flexibility.

This way the router can be more about range than speed in the future. The only reason I avoided Mesh was for gaming. If I hard wire gaming, it becomes a lot easier to focus on coverage vs coverage, latency, speed, etc

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, I'm going with ethernet drops. Have a contractor at $130 per room. Going to hard wire the two xbox's and have hardwire access in any and every room so as kids move out, I have office flexibility.

This way the router can be more about range than speed in the future. The only reason I avoided Mesh was for gaming. If I hard wire gaming, it becomes a lot easier to focus on coverage vs coverage, latency, speed, etc
$130 is probably on the pricier side, but one and done I suppose...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I farmed it out and every person wants to come to your house and look at it before they will give any quotes
Makes sense. They need to know what they are getting into, attic, etc. But they are also charging you to come out lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave