Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seemed to me in the interview yesterday, that Sarver was sorta preparing himself/us to pay some luxury tax $$... or, was I just hearing what I wanted to hear?

from what i heard, I think he's willing to pay some tax. but with cap rules and such, we're still going to be limited from going after really good back up bigs if Cam's eating up some of that MLE.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And how would this trade prevent Jones from getting a quality big?

We are running out of salaries to match in a trade for a big without giving up a core player, we no longer have a draft pick to potentially get one there, which means that we have cornered ourselves into needing to sign one rotation big man with the MLE and another one for the minimum. (And yes, we need at least two bigs, given that Ayton is the only big on the roster.)

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Huh? He made less than $2M (1.97 to be precise.) How does that end up being $10M? 105% increase from $1,97 is $4.03M
Sorry, Read the wrong thing the other day, however, we can sign Payne and not have to use MLE....
Cameron Payne: the Suns have Payne’s Early Bird Rights can re-sign Payne for up to the league average salary (about $10 million in year one, for up to 4 years) and not even use the MLE

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
We are running out of salaries to match in a trade for a big without giving up a core player, we no longer have a draft pick to potentially get one there, which means that we have cornered ourselves into needing to sign one rotation big man with the MLE and another one for the minimum. (And yes, we need at least two bigs, given that Ayton is the only big on the roster.)
Stix isn't a big? :rolleyes:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Shamet is a restricted free agent after the 2021-22 season with a salary slot of $5,562,072 that the Suns must match to retain his rights.

I understand that there are 15, so technically they could afford to give one to a rookie, but that prevents them from signing another contributor later. Paul, Book, Bridges, Crowder, Ayton, Cam P, Cam J... that's seven. Dario and Stix (though Dario is not playing next year) bring that up to nine. They need at least two more bigs and a third point guard, which brings the number of used roster spots to 12. That leaves them with three spots to fill out the roster. They just sucesfully created an extra spot or two by trading Carter and the pick, and making Galloway redundant while adding one rotation player. That will allow them to fill the needs (third point guard, two bigs) and leave them two extra roster spots to play with.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Sorry, Read the wrong thing the other day, however, we can sign Payne and not have to use MLE....
Cameron Payne: the Suns have Payne’s Early Bird Rights can re-sign Payne for up to the league average salary (about $10 million in year one, for up to 4 years) and not even use the MLE

Oh, well that's great news! I have not heard that.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
oh poop. then I don't know how we're going to get another legit big game and keep Payne. A guy like Noel is going to cost the full MLE. Would we all collectively throw up if we brought in someone like... Dwight Howard? Is he even available?

Different poster is saying that they can pay him up to the league average, around $10M per year, so I may be wrong. I certainly hope I am wrong on this one.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is true that's great. We could still use the MLE to get a big. The one thing I never considered about this trade? Shamet might be insurance for Payne if the Suns think there is a legit fear of him leaving.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not one who will be ready to contribute before the 2023-24 season.

Given your reaction, 82CardsGrad, you must not have seen Stix get absolutely abused on both ends of the court last season...IN THE G LEAGUE.

He is at LEAST 2-3 years away from deserving so much as a single minute in an NBA game that counts.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given your reaction, 82CardsGrad, you must not have seen Stix get absolutely abused on both ends of the court last season...IN THE G LEAGUE.

He is at LEAST 2-3 years away from deserving so much as a single minute in an NBA game that counts.
Did you just quote yourself? Besides no pick at #29 would be ready faster than Stix anyway.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Did you just quote yourself? Besides no pick at #29 would be ready faster than Stix anyway.

It was a response to another poster's reaction to that post. I couldn't figure out another way to quote the reaction to put it in context.

Meanwhile, my point was that if the Suns were going to package the #29 and Carter for a veteran, it should have been for a big, not someone like Shamet (who I am not sure is really any better right now than Dosunmu, McBride, Butler, Ayayi, Grimes, etc.), or else they should have used the #29 on one of those mature combo guards and saved Carter's salary to match in a separate trade for a big.