Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think the Nets won this deal but the Suns improved the role of Carter/Moore. Makes us better and I expect an important MLE addition to the front court.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I never said I hated it.

What I hate is that James Jones hates rookies. That will eventually screw this team.
That's a little dramatic since we're talking about the 2nd to last pick in the first round being traded for a 24-year-old.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think the Nets won this deal but the Suns improved the role of Carter/Moore. Makes us better and I expect an important MLE addition to the front court.
How did they win it? You must put a lot of value on the #29 pick.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I like this trade. For the first time, Booker will have an actual backup SG behind him. I like Carter, but he wasn't playing, and the pick would not have played either. Shamet is a good rotation player for ten minutes a night when Book sits. He can shoot, though not much of a defender, but he'll be backing up Booker, so it's not a huge deal if the rest of the second unit can defend. Shamet is basically going to save the Suns some money and replace three players on the roster and do a better job than those three (Carter, Galloway, and the 29th pick). I like it- no downside as far as I can tell.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A week ago the Lakers, Mavericks, Knicks were all looking at Shamet.

This is a very solid move

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

95pro

Registered
Reaction score
The only negatives i see are him being a 1 year rental. His stock will rise, and he'll be too expensive for us next season.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Yeah - all he had to beat out for playing time was Tyler Johnson and Mike James.

That is a pretty bad argument.
Not arguing anything. We traded two players who had zero post-season mins and had zero chance of getting any post-season play next season, for a guy who at 24 years-old, has over 620 playoff mins and 31 post-season games. Is there really an argument here??

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns thought Shamet could contribute more offensively than Carter and they traded the 29th pick for it. Carter is the better defensive player.
I have not looked at the defensive PER or the Diff but I don't doubt it. Carter at the very least is more tenacious on defense. Then again you can't help the team in that category if you don't leave the bench. I wonder how much playing time Carter will actually get on the Nets?!?! This may have really been about the #29 pick.