Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sad to see Carter go. Hope he sticks in the league. I thought he could help us in the playoffs like he did the regular season with a boost of energy, bring the ball up, hard defense and good enough three point shooting. I guess Cam Payne overlaps quite a bit so. Good luck, Javon!

This sums up how I feel. Ill miss Carter but Payne replaced him as a PG so he became an undersized SG who didn't offer much offensively. Shamet isn't undersized and will be able to play with Payne without giving up a bunch of size. He's not the defender Carter is but he's a decent enough defender that he won't be a liability.

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am saying somebody in this draft who was drafted after 29 is very likely better than shamet yes.

Out the door? Unlikely. But eventually? Quite likely. But the odds are very much against being the team selecting a player 29 or later that is the equal or better than Landry. And the difference between that person's ceiling and Shamet's current level is not likely to be enough to justify not taking the player that helps us the most today.

I still want McBride but he's not a sure thing, Shamet is.

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can't see the argument that anyone at #29 would help more next season than Shamet. Even if Shamet's numbers are the same as last year, that's likely to surpass more than half of the 1st round picks next season in almost every category you look at for a combo guard.

In 2-3 years will there be people taken #29 or later that are better than Shamet? Almost definitely but that doesn't mean that's who the Suns would have selected or they would have developed that way here. There are a lot of variables at play.

The move was made to make us stronger now, not in 2-3 years. We can deal with 2-3 years later, our window is only open a short time with Paul.

JCSunsfan

Reaction score
I can't see the argument that anyone at #29 would help more next season than Shamet. Even if Shamet's numbers are the same as last year, that's likely to surpass more than half of the 1st round picks next season in almost every category you look at for a combo guard.

In 2-3 years will there be people taken #29 or later that are better than Shamet? Almost definitely but that doesn't mean that's who the Suns would have selected or they would have developed that way here. There are a lot of variables at play.

The move was made to make us stronger now, not in 2-3 years. We can deal with 2-3 years later, our window is only open a short time with Paul.
This--x100

Finito

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is, but if we miss out on Paul we are desperate.

I don’t think so there are a few good PG out there. We don’t have Paul but I don’t think it will be like years past where we have G league guys playing point

Lowry, Conley, Dinwiddie, Lonzo

Krangthebrain

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

There are a lot of years where NO PLAYERS drafted 29 and later are better than Shamet.

And even when there are, its like hitting on a lotto ticket, there is no way of knowing.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Out the door? Unlikely. But eventually? Quite likely. But the odds are very much against being the team selecting a player 29 or later that is the equal or better than Landry. And the difference between that person's ceiling and Shamet's current level is not likely to be enough to justify not taking the player that helps us the most today.

I still want McBride but he's not a sure thing, Shamet is.
The odds for most teams picking a player better than Landry at #29 probably are pretty bad. However the Spurs shunned those odds. In the prior 5 drafts the Spurs selected #29 three times. They landed:

Dejounte Murray
Derrick White
Keldon Johnson

Not superstars mind you, but solid players. And all of them starters (White getting more spotty starts). I would argue all three are better than Landry (for PER purposes they all range from 13-15, whereas Landry is at 10).

And isn't that who we have modeled our franchise after? JJ and Monty preach the same message as the Spurs and seem to produce similar basketball acumen from their players. It isn't far fetched to believe the Suns would have been similarly successful with #29 this year with the likes of Butler, Ayo, and McBride available.

I want to reiterate that I really like Landry and think he'll do very well here. However, as a fan of his, I can honestly tell you that his career has not been as good as I projected (I suggested he's worthy of the #16 pick in 2018).

I just think both things can be true at the same time, that is: It's reasonable to assume Landry will do well here AND it's reasonable to assume that we could've landed a player that is slightly better with greater potential than Landry at #29.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The odds for most teams picking a player better than Landry at #29 probably are pretty bad. However the Spurs shunned those odds. In the prior 5 drafts the Spurs selected #29 three times. They landed:

Dejounte Murray
Derrick White
Keldon Johnson

Not superstars mind you, but solid players. And all of them starters (White getting more spotty starts). I would argue all three are better than Landry (for PER purposes they all range from 13-15, whereas Landry is at 10).

And isn't that who we have modeled our franchise after? JJ and Monty preach the same message as the Spurs and seem to produce similar basketball acumen from their players. It isn't far fetched to believe the Suns would have been similarly successful with #29 this year with the likes of Butler, Ayo, and McBride available.

I want to reiterate that I really like Landry and think he'll do very well here. However, as a fan of his, I can honestly tell you that his career has not been as good as I projected (I suggested he's worthy of the #16 pick in 2018).

I just think both things can be true at the same time, that is: It's reasonable to assume Landry will do well here AND it's reasonable to assume that we could've landed a player that is slightly better with greater potential than Landry at #29.
Again we are in win now mode. What are the stats for each of those guys in their first year? And were the Spurs contenders at the time they were drafted, allowing their players to have more playing time? Jalen Smith was picked 10 and got almost zero playing time for a contender.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Shamet is a good but not great 3pt shooter and he’s one of the worst defenders in the league based on the eye test/metrics. So I don’t think it’s impossible that the 29th pick would be a better option. Likely no, but I don’t agree that it’s a forgone conclusion.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shamet is a good but not great 3pt shooter and he’s one of the worst defenders in the league based on the eye test/metrics. So I don’t think it’s impossible that the 29th pick would be a better option. Likely no, but I don’t agree that it’s a forgone conclusion.

Also to be considered is that Shamet may be a rental. If the Suns were committed to keeping him over multiple years I would feel better about it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am saying somebody in this draft who was drafted after 29 is very likely better than shamet yes.
The odds disagree with you. I posted them earlier in the thread. That might be how you feel but it's not true.

Yuma

Working from home. Missing my free coffee!
Reaction score
It's a known commodity in Shamet, versus a coin flip in a new player. I like the shooting and scoring we need in the second unit with this move. My opinion is it is an upgrade at the end of the day. Good move. We need a big, or two in free agency/trade.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's a known commodity in Shamet, versus a coin flip in a new player. I like the shooting and scoring we need in the second unit with this move. My opinion is it is an upgrade at the end of the day. Good move. We need a big, or two in free agency/trade.

Two, given that Saric is out for the season.