Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I see the necessity. Galloway is more than likely not resigning. Cameran Payne might be too expensive to resign, and Carter was just shipped out ... leaving Moore as the only gaurd and even he is a FA I believe.
Shamet can not only play the back up point if Payne leaves but he can also play back up SG if Payne stays and is someone who can create. Carter, & Galloway were not able to create for themselves let alone others. Good pick up in my opinion.
I do agree though, PF is a position of need.

If Shamet was brought in to replace Payne, then consider our championship window slammed shut. Especially with CP3's advancing age, this team needs a back-up point guard who is a heck of a lot better than Shamet.

Meanwhile, such a move would conjure up horrific memories of replacing Joe Johnson with Raja Bell. (Bell was okay in his own right but was nowhere near an adequate substitute for Johnson.)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right, he's a backup guard who is replacing last year's back up guards. I don't that makes the team any better.

Shamet's 3pt percentage has been declining since he entered the NBA and his advanced stats are not very good.
The Suns couldn't depend on our back up guards at all so Booker played a TON of minutes. They had a hard time keeping Booker/Paul off the court because of it. Also, if his declining numbers that he has now are any indication? I will take them. He would be the 3rd best on the team. LOL.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns couldn't depend on our back up guards at all so Booker played a TON of minutes. They had a hard time keeping Booker/Paul off the court because of it. Also, if his declining numbers that he has now are any indication? I will take them. He would be the 3rd best on the team. LOL.

And yet Carter's numbers and defense were superior...

Bufalay

Reaction score
His 3pt% would be the 7th best on last season's team.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The comparison with Galloway wasn't a good one. It had a LIMITED SAMPLE SIZE. He never got off the bench. It's easy to make your numbers look better when you can't get any minutes. I have not seen Carter's numbers but same thing. Show me a single point last season where Carter or Galloway put up numbers like Shamet did in April. I will wait.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
His 3pt% would be the 7th best on last season's team.
His volume compares to our best 3 point shooters. Most of our 3's come from corners or catch and shoots. His numbers in those two areas are comparable to our best shooters.

Catch-and-shoot 3s = 40.5% Corner 3s = 45%

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The problem is Monty didn't have confidence in playing Carter. Would I have given Carter more opportunities? The answer is yes but I'm not the coach.

I wanted to keep #29 but I may have totally disagreed with whom Jones selected like last season at #10.

Maybe Monty plays Shamet and it's not a one year rental.

Bufalay

Reaction score
His volume compares to our best 3 point shooters. Most of our 3's come from corners or catch and shoots. His numbers in those two areas are comparable to our best shooters.

Catch-and-shoot 3s = 40.5% Corner 3s = 45%
From that I deduce that he must've been dribbling around taking dumb shots to drop his total percentage to 37%.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Carter's numbers were not better than Shamet's.

Carter's defensive stats weren't that good either.

Carter's PER was better by two full points. Other than shooting volume and three point percentage, Carter's other analytics on both ends of the court were better as well.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is Monty didn't have confidence in playing Carter. Would I have given Carter more opportunities? The answer is yes but I'm not the coach.

I wanted to keep #29 but I may have totally disagreed with whom Jones selected like last season at #10.

Maybe Monty plays Shamet and it's not a one year rental.

Him being a one year rental is legit regardless of how he plays. If he rides the bench he is gone next year. If he plays well? He still might be gone. Remind me. His contract is up after next season right?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From that I deduce that he must've been dribbling around taking dumb shots to drop his total percentage to 37%.
Either that or he was doing what they asked him to do in that offense in that situation. We have seen how that worked out for Booker prior to this season too. He likely won't be asked to dribble as much here and our offense is a perfect fit. His efficiency in those spots is exactly where they ask Bridges, Cam and Crowder to shoot in this offense.

Bufalay

Reaction score
Carter's PER was better by two full points. Other than shooting volume and three point percentage, Carter's other analytics on both ends of the court were better as well.
You're right. I was looking at playoff stats which are meaningless for Carter.

RkPlayerSeasonAgeGMPPERTS%3PArFTrORB%DRB%TRB%AST%STL%BLK%TOV%USG% OWSDWSWSWS/48 OBPMDBPMBPMVORP
1Jevon Carter2020-21256071712.2.548.677.0312.611.87.313.02.01.16.615.00.70.81.6.104-0.61.10.50.5
2Landry Shamet2020-212361140310.3.578.730.1710.97.64.49.31.10.68.916.71.20.61.8.063-1.1-1.5-2.5-0.2

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Him being a one year rental is legit regardless of how he plays. If he rides the bench he is gone next year. If he plays well? He still might be gone. Remind me. His contract is up after next season right?

Landry Shamet is a restricted free agent in 2022-23 with a minimum offer of $5,562,072 to keep him.