Landry Shamet traded to suns for Javon Carter and 29th pick

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I don’t see how we don’t consider this anything but a W for the Suns. Is it some grandiose move that puts us over the top? Nope. But James Jones continues to add players who can contribute now where the window of opportunity is small with CP, assuming he returns. He netted Craig for nothing, and now turned Carter and a pick that isn’t valued much into a rotational player with experience who serves a need. I liked Carter, but he wasn’t playing with the emergence of Cam. So why not turn that player into someone who fills a role in lieu of keeping a player who is mostly out of the rotation and a pick that is mostly likely the next Alando Tucker?

Franchises like ours cannot afford not to go all in when the opportunity is there. That time is now for us. Yeah, it’s probably gonna hurt for a while when it’s over unless you’re able to reload after CP is gone but the Suns need to do what they can now to build for this run. I absolutely think Shamet fits well here. I trust in Monty’s instincts about players he’s coached after watching Cam last year.

I don’t see anything negative about this especially if we could get a guy like Noel to help shore up the bench. You have to feel as though Cam Johnson and Mikal will keep developing and we all saw Ayton take big strides in the playoffs.

Gotta strike while the iron is hot my friends.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an okay deal, but really only fills a low priority need at the moment. I'll get excited when they make a move for some legitimate frontline help for Ayton.

I'm mostly looking at the trade as a one-year rental and a money move.

Shamet should help the Suns while he is here but it's hard to get excited about a player they may not keep.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regard to #6.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I don't think anybody thinks being a primary back up to PG is his role. However, he has played the position, is confident he can play the position and ran a point offense in college where most possessions came through him. It will be up to Monty to assess if he thinks he is good enough to play any minutes at back up PG. Either way, if Payne is struggling? You let Payne bring the ball down and then look for Shamet.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy might ride the bench all season long. That is a distinct possibility but I can see why Monty wanted him. His style of play meshes with our team.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
4. They also get a player that potentially could contribute this season
5. Potentially gives you more value from a roster and salary perspective (contributes)
6. Gives you more options at the guard spot, especially if Payne is struggling
7. Potentially gives you more opportunity to rest Booker.
8. Gives you a player who would rank #3 in terms of threes made comparing your current roster.

I am with you though on the money thing. It likely is also about money flexibility in the future.

Please don't go there. I still have PTSD from the Suns selling away their picks in the Nash era in the name of "money flexibility in the future". It was a primary reason for the awful futility in the first half of the 2010s.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We can use Dario's disabled player exception to acquire a player in a trade so long as they only have 1 year left on their contract. That will be approximately $4.3 million.

I didn't know we could trade it at all. Still, only being able to use it on a rental player is more limiting than using Carter's contract would have been.

AZ Shocker

Reaction score
Cool! Of course I like this trade! See my name. Lol. I believe he will be a better player with a higher scoring avg. for the Suns than any of his previous teams. Monty is gonna love him. And so will Book and CP3.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please don't go there. I still have PTSD from the Suns selling away their picks in the Nash era in the name of "money flexibility in the future". It was a primary reason for the awful futility in the first half of the 2010s.
That is not this.

Hoop Head

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The last player we got for that was Etwaun Moore. I wouldn't expect much from it.

No, Moore was signed for the league minimum. We still have the Bi-Annual exception. If we signed Moore with that then we wouldn't have it now.

1Sun

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That is not this.

Perhaps not, but after that debacle, I don't want to read or hear "money flexibility for the future".

Our window is now. The team's moves need to be about winning a championship, not about money, lest that awful history repeat itself.