It's an okay deal, but really only fills a low priority need at the moment. I'll get excited when they make a move for some legitimate frontline help for Ayton.
I don't think anybody thinks being a primary back up to PG is his role. However, he has played the position, is confident he can play the position and ran a point offense in college where most possessions came through him. It will be up to Monty to assess if he thinks he is good enough to play any minutes at back up PG. Either way, if Payne is struggling? You let Payne bring the ball down and then look for Shamet.In regard to #6.
4. They also get a player that potentially could contribute this season
5. Potentially gives you more value from a roster and salary perspective (contributes)
6. Gives you more options at the guard spot, especially if Payne is struggling
7. Potentially gives you more opportunity to rest Booker.
8. Gives you a player who would rank #3 in terms of threes made comparing your current roster.
I am with you though on the money thing. It likely is also about money flexibility in the future.
We can use Dario's disabled player exception to acquire a player in a trade so long as they only have 1 year left on their contract. That will be approximately $4.3 million.