Lamar Jackson gets non-exclusive tag - Edit, New Deal!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler of late has lack consistency throwing the ball but has shown to have made throws that Lamar Jackson can only dream of making in his sleep. Those are facts. Will Kyler ever get back to that? Who knows, and it depends on Gannon/OC/QBC and most importantly KM himself. Lamar seems a great guy and has great football character. I do not fault him with all the agent crap and the less than ethical behavior of some of these guys for their own profit, but it then shows the other side of the big business which is the NFL, which will then take advantage of a lack of professional direction, though in the end all that matters is you win and then you will get paid by the higher up vultures no matter your profession. Lamar has reached his ceiling as a passer in my opinion and unfortunately his electric running ability may never be the same because regardless of your size you cannot survive as a running QB and Lamar ran with reckless abandon sacrificing his body for a win

I would certainly want Kyler over Lamar in the sea of uncertainty they both are submerged in for the long run, but I do think Lamar has two more years of possibly being a spark as a decent thrower and QB with elite running back ability to garner a shot at a title... just hope that does not come at our expense with the Niners or Rams
I actually giggle every time I hear someone say they’d take Kyler over Lamar. Who has actually strung together a legit MVP season and has taken his team to the playoffs on more than one occasion. Has actually topped more than 35 TD passes in a season. 10 more than Kylers best year. Also whose career rushing the ball as a QB has an average higher then Kyler who most on here claim is a better athlete.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually giggle everyone I hear someone say they’d take Kyler over Lamar. Who has actually strung together a legit MVP season and has taken his team to the playoffs on more than one occasion. Has actually topped more than 35 TD passes in a season. 10 more than Kylers best year. Also whose career rushing the ball as a QB has an average higher then Kyler who most on here claim is a better athlete.
Especially when people cite Lamar’s injuries… as if Kyler wasn’t out a solid chunk of 2021, tore his ACL last year and is probably going to miss at least a quarter of this season, if not more, with uncertainty if he can get back to his old level of play… where he routinely chose not to get the most out of his legs last year even when healthy.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I actually giggle everyone I hear someone say they’d take Kyler over Lamar. Who has actually strung together a legit MVP season and has taken his team to the playoffs on more than one occasion. Has actually topped more than 35 TD passes in a season. 10 more than Kylers best year. Also whose career rushing the ball as a QB has an average higher then Kyler who most on here claim is a better athlete.
I try not to giggle at those people who do giggle regardless of the uncertainty of the question. Wait, hi, I'm 'someone' and I guess that makes you 'those people'

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Doesn’t sound crazy to me. A team would have to let go of 2 firsts on top of giving an astronomical fully guaranteed contract that he is demanding. For a guy that can’t stay healthy and whose PO appearances leave little to be desired.
Cool. I’d take a sure thing and money over a good chance I get Trey Lance.

This is soft collusion through the media at best. Dak got the exclusive tag but not Lamar. SMDH

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why agree you comparing completions to rushing attempts?

Kyler Murray Pass ATT, OU, Jr: 377
Lamar Jackson Pass ATT, LOU, Jr: 430
A guy with more rushes than pass completions on top of a low completion percentage is NOT a pocket passer, as you claimed of Lamar Jackson. I almost won't whether you watched Jackson in college?

I don't watch much college football, but I watched a LOT of Jackson's games and highlights because he was AMAZING. But NO ONE was amazed by his prowess as a pocket passer. If he had been an effective pocket passer in addition to his incredible running skills, he wouldn't have been drafted at the end of the first round, 22 picks behind Josh Rosen.

Cole

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Trade Murray for him if they would do it. Even give them our 2nd.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The exclusive franchise tag is crippling.

You gotta offer him more than whatever the Ravens were willing to offer AND you are going to lose 2 first round picks. I don't think there is any collusion going on here.

I think he eventually signs with Baltimore for a contract that has potential money like these other top QBs, but the guarantees end after 3 years. I don't think Baltimore trusts his health or his performance thus far in the playoffs. Their offense has been garbage in his 4 playoff games.

Not having an agent hurts him too. I get not wanting to give an agent a cut of the deal, but I think teams like a lot of agents, outside of Scott Boras, they like having a buffer, someone they can say harsh truths to, that then get translated into more gentle truths by an agent.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
The exclusive franchise tag is crippling.

You gotta offer him more than whatever the Ravens were willing to offer AND you are going to lose 2 first round picks. I don't think there is any collusion going on here.

I think he eventually signs with Baltimore for a contract that has potential money like these other top QBs, but the guarantees end after 3 years. I don't think Baltimore trusts his health or his performance thus far in the playoffs. Their offense has been garbage in his 4 playoff games.

Not having an agent hurts him too. I get not wanting to give an agent a cut of the deal, but I think teams like a lot of agents, outside of Scott Boras, they like having a buffer, someone they can say harsh truths to, that then get translated into more gentle truths by an agent.
All you have to do is offer a contract the Ravens won't match...maybe not more money...just structured differently. Maybe someone will give him 4 years 200 million fully guaranteed.

The 2 first round picks....its the aquiring teams choice correct? I mean as long as 2 first round picks are exchanged, are their rules about which picks? Could the Texans trade #12 and a 24 first rounder and then auction off the #2 pick?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Okay, cool, Mr. Agent. Go right ahead. We aren't going to blink.

Now what happens? I'll answer the question by saying he reports and we waive the fines for him missing time. Then he plays on the contract.
He would of reported but not played. He would have a fake injury and sat on the bench.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I actually giggle every time I hear someone say they’d take Kyler over Lamar. Who has actually strung together a legit MVP season and has taken his team to the playoffs on more than one occasion. Has actually topped more than 35 TD passes in a season. 10 more than Kylers best year. Also whose career rushing the ball as a QB has an average higher then Kyler who most on here claim is a better athlete.
Until last season I would of took Kyler over Lamar. Last year was so bad I’m not sure if Kyler can become a good QB. Two years ago before AJ Green didn’t turn around Kyler was in the MVP race and looked like a franchise QB. But it’s been a bad down hill fall since.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
whatever this is worth

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is meant to represent the slang “cap” which means “to lie”. Lamar is saying that the tweet is a lie.

There were other "guarantees" that wasn't fully guaranteed, is what most likely transpired.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is meant to represent the slang “cap” which means “to lie”. Lamar is saying that the tweet is a lie.

There were other "guarantees" that wasn't fully guaranteed, is what most likely transpired.
I'm talking about his reply, he's hinting that he signed a 3 year 133 mil fully guaranteed contract

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about his reply, he's hinting that he signed a 3 year 133 mil fully guaranteed contract
Well wouldnt that be all over the sports news wire?

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe he's saying that's actually what was offered, not 200 mil guaranteed. Guaranteed with asterisks.
That's my thought too.

Both Lamar and the Ravens put themselves in a no win situation. From the outside looking in, it seems that the Ravens did the smart thing to let the market decide his value.

The problem is that no other team is going to want to do the work that the Ravens wanting them to do. It sets a bad precedent, just like the fully guaranteed contract did for Watson. Why would a team go through the effort to sign him to a deal, only for the Ravens to match it anyway?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's my thought too.

Both Lamar and the Ravens put themselves in a no win situation. From the outside looking in, it seems that the Ravens did the smart thing to let the market decide his value.

The problem is that no other team is going to want to do the work that the Ravens wanting them to do. It sets a bad precedent, just like the fully guaranteed contract did for Watson. Why would a team go through the effort to sign him to a deal, only for the Ravens to match it anyway?

Yeah, no one will do the negotiating for them and put their salary cap in lockup until Ravens decide to match it. Even a prime HoF QB would get the same treatment.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's my thought too.

I don't see what the Ravens could've done differently here. It's widely reported that Lamar is hard to get a hold of and slow to respond to offers.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see what the Ravens could've done differently here. It's widely reported that Lamar is hard to get a hold of and slow to respond to offers.
Well when you’re already rich? Being super rich is a yawwwwwn and what’s the rush? Lol

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Really good article that breaks it all down.

About that phone call — how would negotiations start in the first place? Jackson doesn’t have a certified agent, preferring to lean on his mother and help from the NFL Players Association, along with other advisers. Jackson himself can be hard to reach, too; when Ravens general manager Eric DeCosta made one last push to reach a deal before the start of free agency, he met with Jackson in person in South Florida.
If distance is a disadvantage for front offices conducting business from their team headquarters, progress on contract talks could be slow going.
“They need to know: Who do we call? Do we just call you?” Banner said. “Because he does have people helping and advising him. And if you’re going to be a restricted free agent, you certainly want to make it easy for anybody who could be interested to get a hold of whoever can answer the questions. Got to make sure everybody out there knows that.”

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was only 1.7 off with that offer and fully guaranteed he should have taken it imo.
He was 2 years and 100 million off of the total contract. lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose