Lamar Jackson gets non-exclusive tag - Edit, New Deal!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Ah. Guess I'm the jackass lol
Lamars camp came out a few days ago and said they aint looking for a fully guaranteed contract. of course, they might be quibbling.... 250mil with 200mil guaranteed or something.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the price does not have to be 2 firsts. thats just the league mandated max. The exact draft compensation can be negotiated between the teams, and Lamar publicly raising hell and threatening to hold out, then holding out...it all lowers his value.

I agree it has an effect but the Ravens still hold the Cards. WOrse case they have a situation like Lev Bell where he doesn't sign the tag and sits out but that's worst for Lamar so ultimately won't happen.

I think two 1st's are the bare minimum. He only just turned 26. No way 26 year old former MVP's are going for less than 34 year old Russell Wilson.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I agree it has an effect but the Ravens still hold the Cards. WOrse case they have a situation like Lev Bell where he doesn't sign the tag and sits out but that's worst for Lamar so ultimately won't happen.

I think two 1st's are the bare minimum. He only just turned 26. No way 26 year old former MVP's are going for less than 34 year old Russell Wilson.
No...like i said, under that tag 2 firsts is the max... the way its worded, baltimore must match any contract he agrees to with another team OR accept 2 first round picks as compensation. It really isnt likely any team would want to pay a higher price...the other team just has to reach an agreement Baltimore aint likely to match... but if Lamar is demanding a trade its likely it gets worked out in advance where the ravens agree to not match and accept X

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No...like i said, under that tag 2 firsts is the max... the way its worded, baltimore must match any contract he agrees to with another team OR accept 2 first round picks as compensation. It really isnt likely any team would want to pay a higher price...the other team just has to reach an agreement Baltimore aint likely to match
Seems unlikely, but theoretically, with his tender un-signed, I think the Ravens could trade him for MORE than two 1sts, with the benefit to the receiving team being that they wouldn't have to offer a crazy contract structure with a poison pill that Baltimore would never match; they could structure the contract however they need to in order to make their own cap manageable for the next few years.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Seems unlikely, but theoretically, with his tender un-signed, I think the Ravens could trade him for MORE than two 1sts, with the benefit to the receiving team being that they wouldn't have to offer a crazy contract structure with a poison pill that Baltimore would never match; they could structure the contract however they need to in order to make their own cap manageable for the next few years.
yeah,. with it unsigned thats probably true.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No...like i said, under that tag 2 firsts is the max... the way its worded, baltimore must match any contract he agrees to with another team OR accept 2 first round picks as compensation. It really isnt likely any team would want to pay a higher price...the other team just has to reach an agreement Baltimore aint likely to match... but if Lamar is demanding a trade its likely it gets worked out in advance where the ravens agree to not match and accept X

I don't think that's how it's going to go down though. It's 2 first round picks in compensation if they don't match a non exclusive rights offer by another team but I doubt that will happen.

If they traded him then Lamar would sign his tag with the Ravens and then get traded to whatever team is interested for more than 2 first round picks with a new contract already agreed with the trading team.

We'll see I guess. I still think he ends up staying with the Ravens.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't think that's how it's going to go down though. It's 2 first round picks in compensation if they don't match a non exclusive rights offer by another team but I doubt that will happen.

If they traded him then Lamar would sign his tag with the Ravens and then get traded to whatever team is interested for more than 2 first round picks with a new contract already agreed with the trading team.

We'll see I guess. I still think he ends up staying with the Ravens.
That’s not how it works. If Lamar signs an offer sheet with another team, BAL has time to match it, or the new team gets Lamar in the contract and sends two firsts to BAL.

A team can also negotiate with Baltimore on terms and send Lamar’s rights to that team for whatever they want and then the team can sign Lamar to a new deal.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
That’s not how it works. If Lamar signs an offer sheet with another team, BAL has time to match it, or the new team gets Lamar in the contract and sends two firsts to BAL.

A team can also negotiate with Baltimore on terms and send Lamar’s rights to that team for whatever they want and then the team can sign Lamar to a new deal.
Lamar has to sign his tender, in order for Baltimore to facilitate a trade on their end. Either way, he's not being signed to a massive contract and traded for 2 firsts.

If he signs his tender, I would imagine a team would negotiate a trade of a 1st 2023 and 2nd or 3rd 2024...and possibly a day 3 2023 pick....then they would sign Lamar to an extension after the trade.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Aye that's what I said. I don't expect the 1st one to happen, I expect the 2nd one will.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lamar has to sign his tender, in order for Baltimore to facilitate a trade on their end. Either way, he's not being signed to a massive contract and traded for 2 firsts.

If he signs his tender, I would imagine a team would negotiate a trade of a 1st 2023 and 2nd or 3rd 2024...and possibly a day 3 2023 pick....then they would sign Lamar to an extension after the trade.

Russ just got traded for a haul and got a massive deal at 34. I don't see Lamar going for less than Russ.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I don't think that's true, because that would mean that the team trading for Lamar would have to accommodate his franchise tag number in order to make the trade happen.

The team trading for Lamar would obviously want to have an agreement with Lamar before making the trade, but I think a team can just trade the rights to him (I may be wrong about this; overthecap shows Baltimore with a $32 million cap hold right now (non-guaranteed salary) for Lamar.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think that's true, because that would mean that the team trading for Lamar would have to accommodate his franchise tag number in order to make the trade happen.

The team trading for Lamar would obviously want to have an agreement with Lamar before making the trade, but I think a team can just trade the rights to him (I may be wrong about this; overthecap shows Baltimore with a $32 million cap hold right now (non-guaranteed salary) for Lamar.

If a player signs the tag they can negotiate a new long term deal to replace the tag. The Commanders just did it with Daron Payne.

So he could sign his tag with the Ravens then negotiate a new deal as part of the trade with whoever is taking him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If a player signs the tag they can negotiate a new long term deal to replace the tag. The Commanders just did it with Daron Payne.

So he could sign his tag with the Ravens then negotiate a new deal as part of the trade with whoever is taking him.

I don't think the latter example happens very often. Like Karlos Dansby got tagged in his fifth year here and he signed the tender immediately because he'd get more guaranteed under the tag than he would under an extension (teams used the tag differently back then, too).

If you have a guy in house, you can tag them, have them sign the tender, and then work out a deal. That's what we did with D.J. Humphries. Used to be that if that happened you'd lose the tag for a while, but I think that rule went away.

If Lamar signs the tender with the Ravens, I think he'd need special permission to work on a new deal, because he'd be under contract with Baltimore and the other team would be tampering. I don't know why he'd sign the tender unless and until there's a new deal in place.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don't think the latter example happens very often. Like Karlos Dansby got tagged in his fifth year here and he signed the tender immediately because he'd get more guaranteed under the tag than he would under an extension (teams used the tag differently back then, too).

If you have a guy in house, you can tag them, have them sign the tender, and then work out a deal. That's what we did with D.J. Humphries. Used to be that if that happened you'd lose the tag for a while, but I think that rule went away.

If Lamar signs the tender with the Ravens, I think he'd need special permission to work on a new deal, because he'd be under contract with Baltimore and the other team would be tampering. I don't know why he'd sign the tender unless and until there's a new deal in place.
lol...yeah... that non exclusive tag... only been used like twice ever...and only once in the past 20 years or some ****.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Lamar has cost himself a lot of money. That is all I know.
Ya know... I respect Lamar... kid is rich.

He plays quarterback... teams hounded him at the combine to do wr drills because they did not see him as a quarterback and Lamar refused.. the kid stuck to his guns,...and got drafted in the first round as a quarterback.
then he went out and won an MVP award as a quarterback. Baltimore offered him a contract and he refused, choosing to play out the deal he was on. Now he expects to be paid in line with other quarterbacks and he is willing to take the hits to get what he feels he deserves.
Kyler got 250mil and hasnt accomplished near as much as Lamar. The kid likely has to come down on his numbers a bit due to his play style. But he is way within his rights to be expecting 45mil a year and in the neighborhood of 150mil guaranteed.... Josh Allen got 6 years 258mil with 150mil guaranteed..and he hasnt won a league MVP and the market has increased since then,
from a pure numbers perspective Lamar would have been better off financially to just accept the smaller contract a few years ago.Then sign another one around 2025. But he chose to honor his deal and wait for the market to reset.
all these players want the headline..."Biggest contract in history" "highest paid player at his position" etc...something that makes them stand out and comes with bragging rights.
He isnt likely to get that. But Lamar is playing NFL quarterback on his own terms. He does not let the NFL define him. He is his own man for better or for worse. He is willing to risk getting nothing in order to do business on his own terms and define himself. I respect the hell out of that, standing on his principals...and I hope it works out for him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know why he'd sign the tender unless and until there's a new deal in place.

I agree. I expect the deal would be worked out for him to be traded. Then he'd sign his tender to make it happen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose