Lakers @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread 6-1-2021 - Game 5

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of butt hurt going on tv today. I finally had to turn off the tv and take a nap.:bigyawn:

I tried the nap thing but it didn't work. I guess I will keep going and try to hit the sack early tonight.

This playoff basketball stuff is work. I guess we are out of practice. ;)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Payne is the perfect microwave backup but anything over 12-something mil a year would be asinine.

I have a feeling someone is going to try and throw that kind of money his way though. Especially, if he keeps having mini-momentum swing moments for this team throughout the playoffs.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember my first NBA FA beer.

Payne is actually really good, too.

When they signed this guy I was like "WHO"?!?! Thought absolutely zero about him. Not afraid to admit that I wrote him off before watching him play. Lakers have no answer for him when he is driving to the hoop. When he hits 3's off the bench? That's icing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payne is one of those guys that works really well with this group. I am afraid that if he goes to a marginal team, he will fade into obscurity. Hope its not the case, especially if we can keep him.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe we can offer him 1/10 with a tacit understanding he will get beaucoup dinero when Paul’s contract finishes up.

This is all assuming Paul opts in to 44mm next year and then is off the books in 2022.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Payne is one of those guys that works really well with this group. I am afraid that if he goes to a marginal team, he will fade into obscurity. Hope its not the case, especially if we can keep him.
That’s not unusual. Most role players that get big contracts to go to poorer teams end up putting up numbers but aren’t really heard from again. Look at jerami grant.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are only like 3 teams with cap space and New York is the only one who will be looking for a PG. I could see Payne being the type of PG that Thibs would like to have. I guess it'll depend on how bad they want him and how much Cam values his relationship with Monty.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's offered more than the MLE but that's mainly because teams like NY would know they need to offer a little more cash than we can in order to convince him to go there.

I think we'll end up resigning him for the full MLE though. I don't think money will be the main factor in where he goes. He left more money on the table in China to return to the US and play in the G League. So there is some precedent of him choose comfort over cash.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Hopefully Payne doesn't see any offers that are too far out there and thus would be willing to stay here for the MLE.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are only like 3 teams with cap space and New York is the only one who will be looking for a PG. I could see Payne being the type of PG that Thibs would like to have. I guess it'll depend on how bad they want him and how much Cam values his relationship with Monty.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's offered more than the MLE but that's mainly because teams like NY would know they need to offer a little more cash than we can in order to convince him to go there.

I think we'll end up resigning him for the full MLE though. I don't think money will be the main factor in where he goes. He left more money on the table in China to return to the US and play in the G League. So there is some precedent of him choose comfort over cash.

come on. Most young players who really believe in themselves are going to come back to the US if they think they still have a shot in the league.

dude has never gotten the BIG contract. If you think he wouldn’t take the biggest contract possible to take care of his family for generations, especially if he could go to a GOOD team too like the Knicks, I think you’re being a little naive.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
come on. Most young players who really believe in themselves are going to come back to the US if they think they still have a shot in the league.

dude has never gotten the BIG contract. If you think he wouldn’t take the biggest contract possible to take care of his family for generations, especially if he could go to a GOOD team too like the Knicks, I think you’re being a little naive.
Agreed, it is all about the money. Especially with his circumstances.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cam Payne has more than paid his debt to Phoenix.
If its in his best interest to go somewhere else to set himself up for life more power to him, I will always be a fan.

In my heart I feel he is a Phoenix Sun as long as Monte is. But stuff happens, either way I'm glad he's along for the trip this year, he's been a big part of the teams success especially in the playoffs.

Monte likes to surround himself with players that have the work ethic Payne does and he is a perfect fit for the Suns "family" environment. That could be a huge factor when it comes to throwing money around.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose