Lakers @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread 6-1-2021 - Game 5

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Sunday the Suns tied up the seven game series at 2-2 with a win over the Lakers at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

It's back to Phoenix with 16,000 fans expected to be allowed in attendance.

Needless to say winning game 5 is crucial the for Suns

The game will be televised on Bally Sports Arizona and TNT.

Start time is scheduled for 7 p.m. Arizona time.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phoenix Suns Arena should be rocking on Tuesday.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anthony Davis is on day-to-day status. It's unclear if he will play in game 5.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devin Booker is looking forward to return "back to the desert" with an extra 5,000 fans.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Davis does play he will not be very effective. Right now Harrell is more of a threat. Cannot understand why he sat the bench in game 4.

The Suns have not really played their best basketball yet in this series—at least offensively.

LeBron is going to have to do everything now.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Anthony Davis not playing in game 5.

I'm hoping Chris Paul is close to 100%.

I imagine we will not find out anything written in concrete until right before the game.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More Craig minutes. More Payne minutes.

No Dario/Frank.

48*5= 240

Ayton 40
Booker 40
Bridges 36
Paul 34
Payne 28
Crowder 26
Craig 22
CamJ 14

More CamJ and less Craig, but other than that - yeah.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ayton 4th in Playoff Winshares.

behind only Kawhi, Harden, and KD.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Ayton was on the floor the Suns had a 89.7 defensive rating. [emoji50]

The Suns.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Anthony Davis not playing in game 5.

I'm hoping Chris Paul is close to 100%.

I imagine we will not find out anything written in concrete until right before the game.
I know both coaches have narrowed their benches now at times in this series. I can't help but notice the coaches that play more players win the games. At least it seems that way. We slowed down Shroder a LOT this last game. I have been wondering what the change was. I still can't help feel a dose of the bull dog on him would slow him down in games.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know both coaches have narrowed their benches now at times in this series. I can't help but notice the coaches that play more players win the games. At least it seems that way. We slowed down Shroder a LOT this last game. I have been wondering what the change was. I still can't help feel a dose of the bull dog on him would slow him down in games.

I think it's more how much the bench players contribute. The Suns played four bench players while the Lakers played six. Frank Kaminsky was not very effective in 7 minutes shooting 0-2, 0 rebounds but did give up 3 fouls and had a steal. Payne had 13 points (4 assists), Johnson 4 and Craig with 4.

The Suns defense was good on Schroder who only shot 3-13 for 8 points. He also had 4 rebounds and 3 assists. Whatever Monty was doing on Schroder, it was effective. I understand Bridges got some minutes guarding him.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Even if Davis plays, he will not have his full arsenal. Ineffective Davis doesn’t hurt us (2/9 at half, and 6 points).

I am somewhat worried if Gasol plays unless Monty makes adjustments:

1. Do not front LeBron in the post
2. Switch/drop every LeBron/Gasol pnr
3. Get up in Gasol’s face and do not let him survey the floor

I don’t mind the idea of putting Mikal/Craig on Gasol and letting Ayton play a soft drop on LeBron either. At least on some possessions. Obviously cannot do it much, since Ayton foul trouble would doom us, and LeBron figures to attack paint hard tomorrow. I think Gasol could try to bait Ayton into a foul or two with his flopping and smarts. Suns need to have closeout discipline on shooters when LeBron drives. Cannot allow them to get into paint, get fouls on DA. Thinking mainly Dennis on either primary or second side action.

Also, our weakside defense had some embarrassing lapses yesterday. Need to clean that up.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if Davis plays, he will not have his full arsenal. Ineffective Davis doesn’t hurt us (2/9 at half, and 6 points).

I am somewhat worried if Gasol plays unless Monty makes adjustments:

1. Do not front LeBron in the post
2. Switch/drop every LeBron/Gasol pnr
3. Get up in Gasol’s face and do not let him survey the floor

I don’t mind the idea of putting Mikal/Craig on Gasol and letting Ayton play a soft drop on LeBron either. At least on some possessions. Obviously cannot do it much, since Ayton foul trouble would doom us, and LeBron figures to attack paint hard tomorrow. I think Gasol could try to bait Ayton into a foul or two with his flopping and smarts. Suns need to have closeout discipline on shooters when LeBron drives. Cannot allow them to get into paint, get fouls on DA. Thinking mainly Dennis on either primary or second side action.

Also, our weakside defense had some embarrassing lapses yesterday. Need to clean that up.

Ayton getting into foul trouble is my biggest concern other than a healthy Chris Paul.

I suspect KCP might return in game 5.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A quick, effective Davis is the biggest contributor to Ayton foul trouble. I am still worried about it, because I assume the Lakers will attack a lot more without Davis, and we have little rim protection apart from Ayton.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I fully expect us to score 110+ tomorrow. We need to play fast, and let Paul and Booker and Payne attack Gasol/Drummond/Harrell on pick and roll. We are due to make some open 3s. Mikal should have an easier time finding easy 2s without Davis out there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A quick, effective Davis is the biggest contributor to Ayton foul trouble. I am still worried about it, because I assume the Lakers will attack a lot more without Davis, and we have little rim protection apart from Ayton.
No Anthony Davis opens up a few minutes fir Dario.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No Anthony Davis opens up a few minutes fir Dario.

In theory. I still prefer Craig for the back-up 5 minutes. I want as few players on the floor that LeBron and Dennis see as liabilities to attack.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep waiting for Dario to emerge in the playoffs. Sometimes I wonder if he is hampered with an injury.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We’ll see about Davis. I’m sure it’ll be a game-time decision regardless, so the Suns should prepare. And they can’t let their guard down even if he’s out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose