Lakers @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread 5-25-2021 - Game #2

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember when Lamar Odom was killing the suns in 2010 playoffs and Amare called him lucky? Aytons having a lucky Lamar Odom series so far.

Yup. The Lakers know Ayton won't beat them so they're letting him get his points without wasting fouls on him. Save Davis and Drummonds' fouls for drivers who are much smaller. All they need to do is keep Ayton off the offensive glass, which they did tonight.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember when Lamar Odom was killing the suns in 2010 playoffs and Amare called him lucky? Aytons having a lucky Lamar Odom series so far.

you just clicked something in for me. That’s who Ayton’s comp is. Not as far as playing styles or games. But the guy with ALL the talent in the world, who will drive a team crazy if he’s your 2nd best player because he’s just so inconsistent. But a dynamite third best player and X-Factor as long as you have two other great players.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Thoughts:
1. Major tactical error by Suns to not attack Davis with Booker after he picked up his second foul with 8:59 left in the 1st quarter.

I disagree. The officials know how many fouls each star has. Davis is a bigger star than Booker, so Booker's not going to draw Davis's third foul unless it's pretty much a decapitation, and maybe not even then. Trying to draw the nth foul on a star player almost always backfires, because the officials dig in their heels and work harder to keep that star on the floor.

I agree with the rest of your points, though.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Dario.

He drew Davis’ 2nd foul and made two really bad passes which led to easy Lakers transition scores (one was off an offensive rebound he tracked down, and I somewhat blame his teammates for not running towards the ball when he tracked it down).

He also missed an open 3.

He also was a big liability on defense (especially when he was the sole big).

That being said, I think he can minute match if Vogel plays Gasol. Even then, I’m not loving life if he gets switched onto Dennis or LeBron. It’s a tough spot.

Ayton was not quite as good on defense tonight as Sunday afternoon, but he still won a handful of *locked in AD* isolations, and did a nice job on the defensive glass in the 2nd half. I did think he and Booker both had defensive lapses that hurt us.

Our defense was still pretty damn good. Lakers made some incredibly tough shots and still only went 45% getting much more transition than us.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I disagree. The officials know how many fouls each star has. Davis is a bigger star than Booker, so Booker's not going to draw Davis's third foul unless it's pretty much a decapitation, and maybe not even then. Trying to draw the nth foul on a star player almost always backfires, because the officials dig in their heels and work harder to keep that star on the floor.

I agree with the rest of your points, though.

In my opinion if Booker got a switch on Davis in that spot, a few good things could happen:
1. Booker could catch him leaning and get him to leave his feet on a pump fake. If he lands on Booker’s arms/body after a pump fake that he bites on I would be astonished if that was not called. Booker is incredibly crafty and adept at drawing fouls. I could see it happening.

2. Davis could realize he is being targeted and be very hesitant to be aggressive. That benefits us greatly if we apply pressure to him on actions.

3. The rest of the Lakers could overcompensate (realizing they need to protect him from getting his 3rd), which could lead to open shooters.

I am not saying it is *likely* that we actually get the 3rd foul by attacking him, but the benefits are substantial at targeting him in that specific spot with our best drivers.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
nah. It’s not hard for a 7 footer to make open dunks and layups.

By far the most projectable offense for us moving forward is DA finishing dunks. The only “luck” involved in it is the team continuing to realize he is killing the Lakers inside and not forgetting to give him the ball in those spots.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion if Booker got a switch on Davis in that spot, a few good things could happen:
1. Booker could catch him leaning and get him to leave his feet on a pump fake. If he lands on Booker’s arms/body after a pump fake that he bites on I would be astonished if that was not called. Booker is incredibly crafty and adept at drawing fouls. I could see it happening.

2. Davis could realize he is being targeted and be very hesitant to be aggressive. That benefits us greatly if we apply pressure to him on actions.

3. The rest of the Lakers could overcompensate (realizing they need to protect him from getting his 3rd), which could lead to open shooters.

I am not saying it is *likely* that we actually get the 3rd foul by attacking him, but the benefits are substantial at targeting him in that specific spot with our best drivers.

At least Booker should have tried to get a third foul on Davis to get him out of the game.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If there is any doubt whose team this is there shouldn’t be. This is CP3’s team. Period. This team is neither clutch or efficient without him.
Whatever. I don’t recall CP3 doing much at all out there in this game, or the last.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
At least Booker should have tried to get a third foul on Davis to get him out of the game.

I have a lot of confidence in Booker’s craftiness when it comes to foul drawing.

I believe we win this game if Davis picks up a 3rd foul in the middle of the 1st. It would have forced LeBron to make a lot more plays in any event.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of confidence in Booker’s craftiness when it comes to foul drawing.

I believe we win this game if Davis picks up a 3rd foul in the middle of the 1st. It would have forced LeBron to make a lot more plays in any event.

It's certainly something that Booker should have tried. This is a coaching thing too.

If he had been able to draw the 3rd foul on Davis it might have changed the complexion of the game.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LeBron taking 9 threes and 1 free throw is a good sign for us moving forward. As long as the Lakers other guys are missing from
outside he should not be as effective as he typically is on offense.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Payne played 33 minutes and did A LOT of playmaking and only had 2 Turnovers.

if the Suns can get 40 minutes of his playmaking in game 3, I would not be surprised to see a W.

I think he could punish the Lakers if they keep running doubles at Booker.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is my point. Suns is not CP3’s team. He has brought stability and credibility, but it is not “his team”.

I haven't made that comment to the best of my recollection.

Chris Paul has been the rudder for this team in guiding it this far. This doesn't mean someone can't step up and temporarily fill his role like in game 1. Suns are deep at guard.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Suns have to rest Paul on Thursday and hope he is ready by Sunday.

I think they will play it the same game time decision so to keep Lakers thinking he may play but if he’s not 90-95% then maybe he shouldn’t play. Man what terrible luck this organization has come playoffs something goofy always happens. Even matching up with the Champs is a ridiculously bad draw after getting the second best record in the damn league. The west is never easy but man this seems like a good year to make a run at it next year who knows? Klay could be back in GS and they could be scary again the west ain’t getting any easier. We need to play like this year is our shot and if CP3 could get healthy in a hurry it greatly improves this team they need his leadership on court and a few timely daggers!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they will play it the same game time decision so to keep Lakers thinking he may play but if he’s not 90-95% then maybe he shouldn’t play. Man what terrible luck this organization has come playoffs something goofy always happens. Even matching up with the Champs is a ridiculously bad draw after getting the second best record in the damn league. The west is never easy but man this seems like a good year to make a run at it next year who knows? Klay could be back in GS and they could be scary again the west ain’t getting any easier. We need to play like this year is our shot and if CP3 could get healthy in a hurry it greatly improves this team they need his leadership on court and a few timely daggers!

No reason not to keep the Lakers guessing but I'd rather rest him for one game and have him for the rest of the series.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns have to rest Paul on Thursday and hope he is ready by Sunday.

I'd be fine letting him start and pulling him around the 6 minute mark, as usual, and not letting him back in until the 4th. Even saving him for the 4th wouldn't be that bad of an idea, IMO.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be fine letting him start and pulling him around the 6 minute mark, as usual, and not letting him back in until the 4th. Even saving him for the 4th wouldn't be that bad of an idea, IMO.

I don't know about these kind of injuries. If there is a chance of agitating it, I think he should rest.

Maybe another Suns steps up like Moore Carter or Galloway behind Payne.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

In addition to Golden State getting Klay, they also have the Minnesota pick (which they could flip for an asset), and it looks like the Clippers might have to blow it up.
The balance of power in the West is shifting. Denver should get Murray back before the playoffs next year, too.

Utah
Lakers
Warriors
Nuggets

Should all be tough next year. Dallas might just make a run this year!

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I haven't made that comment to the best of my recollection.

Chris Paul has been the rudder for this team in guiding it this far. This doesn't mean someone can't step up and temporarily fill his role like in game 1. Suns are deep at guard.
It wasn’t you that said it...

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe that’s because no one ever claimed he should start.

There were plenty of people who hoped he could and even more that were optimistic at his contributions at PF.

"He could end up being what we need from the PF spot"

"he'll be an upgrade over what we've used at PF"

"I fully expect Saric to be much more effective on offense than Anderson was and for that reason alone will play a lot more minutes and games."

"Dario is a good passer and a good shooter and because of those things Ayton's life will be much easier on that end."

"Hes got good hands, good exp for a 25 yr old and has better control of his body. The bottom line is its an upgrade."

"He is a solid player."

"Saric is being underrated by some on here.

"Saric's ability to help run the offense could be an x-factor."

"Saric has decent athleticism and skills."

"His b-ball IQ and passing acumen will help immensely."

"a significant piece would be missing if they had not been able to re-sign Dario Saric"