Lakers @ Suns Tuesday game thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until you take out the two outliers and focus on the norm.

But some other genius poster would have you believe it is more logical and statistically sound just to take two random games, or better yet the two games that happen to fit his narrative, to arrive at the norm...

The sample size is too small to make any realistic predictions so I do not care about your so called norm.

If you can't see this I don't know what to say. May I suggest you suggest you stick to opinion because your stat arguments are unrealistic.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
lol... a guy averaging 40% shooting, the "outliers" are games when he shot 60% and not when he shot 0%. But I am supposedly the one forcing a narrative... not the guy who thinks Cam Johnson has a shooting motion too slow to even get a shot off.

You... are... a... riot...

You know... in actual statistics you'd take the top and bottom outlier out. It is still absurd to do so with such a small sample size, but at least your trolling wouldn't be so blatant.

Take the top and the bottom out, and you have 42%, which is still mediocre at best for someone who is supposed to be a sharpshooter and who brings nothing else to the table.

Just saying.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The sample size is too small to make any realistic predictions so I do not care about your so called norm.

If you can't see this I don't know what to say. May I suggest you suggest you stick to opinion because your stat arguments are unrealistic.

No more unrealistic than people already proclaiming Cam Johnson the next Danny Green or Robert Horry when he has thus far shown nothing outside of a couple of games.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When Cam Johnson finishes the season with numbers akin to Dragan Bender from 2017-18, just remember who called it first (just like who called it first last year in terms of Igor and the point guard and power forward positions).

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No more unrealistic than people already proclaiming Cam Johnson the next Danny Green or Robert Horry when he has thus far shown nothing outside of a couple of games.

Opinions are just that opinions.

It's way to early to statistically project how good or bad Cam will be. As for me, I'm very hopeful.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
YOU are the one who concluded that you thought "the games where he has actually gotten a decent amount of shots up he has looked quite good".

Yesterday he got a decent amount of shots up (the second most this season). Did he "look quite good" or was he right in his 33% norm?
Did I say he looked good in every one of those games?

Take the top and the bottom out, and you have 42%, which is still mediocre at best for someone who is supposed to be a sharpshooter and who brings nothing else to the table.

Just saying.

Something that you seem to be completely overlooking in this argument about FG% is that 30 of his 46 field goal attempts (22 of 33 (66%) with the two games removed) have been 3 pointers which equated to 65% of his field goal attempts.

Shooting a high percentage of your shots from three is going to drag down your FG%, even if you are shooting a good 3 point percentage.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Cam Johnson finishes the season with numbers akin to Dragan Bender from 2017-18, just remember who called it first (just like who called it first last year in terms of Igor and the point guard and power forward positions).

Sort of like when you bet the Suns would not re-sign Oubre.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Just saying.

42% "mediocre".

Totally not a troll.

Tell me more about his sloooooooooooooooow release?

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You've never taken a statistics course, have you? Are you at all familiar with the concept of norms and outliers?

As I said before, if he only 2 bad games, with the rest of the games being good, I would write off the bad games. The fact, though, is that the vast majority of his games have been bad, and he has had a couple of aberrations in the form of good games.

There is no “vast” majority. He’s only been in the league for 8 games. He hasn’t even attempted 50 FGs. And 65% of his attempts have been from 3-point range. There isn’t yet enough data to make a prediction that isn’t an opinionated guess.

Among rookies there are only 5 players with as many or more attempts and a better %. There are 14 with worse. But it could all be completely different in a week.

EDIT: looks like I’m echoing a couple posters on this page.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was definitely (gladly) wrong there and paid the price.

I don't care who wins or loses on predictions. Everyone is right or wrong one time or another.

IMO, the discussion is more important than winning.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Does the 8 point loss make you feel any better? ;) :cool:
I meant it in a complimentary way. We've gone from a cellar dwelling team to being in every game.

Even when we lose, it could be by one point.

Against the Lakers three bigs, we hung in there almost all the way. It was their game to lose.

It takes time to learn how to win the final minutes of a close game. Especially with our Center MIA.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cam Johnson is shooting 46% from the field and 40% from the three with an efg% of almost 58% in his young NBA career. That is excellent for a sniper.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm really confused about all the numbers being put up on here?

But, I've always said, "you can make the numbers say anything you want them to".

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really confused about all the numbers being put up on here?

But, I've always said, "you can make the numbers say anything you want them to".

JCSunsfan has it right, his numbers are correct.

Cam Johnson is shooting .457% from the field and .400 from 3 point range.

Those are amazing numbers but it is a very small sample. However, Cam Johnson who is 6'8" was known for his shooting in college. Often shooting translates to the NBA so he should continue to be a good shooter in the NBA. We just don't know if those numbers will hold up long term. They will probably very some.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsca02.html

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Love it! Many players these days wouldn’t take responsibility for a poor game, mich less proactively apologize and own it.
Talking to a Lakers fan today and he was surprisingly impressed with the Suns. Mostly about Baynes, Frank and Saric. Which was funny. He also said he doesn't like Oubre at all. Of course, if he only saw Oubre once this season and it was that Laker game, there's not much to like about him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Talking to a Lakers fan today and he was surprisingly impressed with the Suns. Mostly about Baynes, Frank and Saric. Which was funny. He also said he doesn't like Oubre at all. Of course, if he only saw Oubre once this season and it was that Laker game, there's not much to like about him.
But, despite not being able to go against the mountains on offense,
Oubre didn't give up on defense.

The same with Bridges.

I thank them for that. :)

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Good job by the refs handing the Lakers the game. Well played, Zebras.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JCSunsfan has it right, his numbers are correct.

Cam Johnson is shooting .457% from the field and .400 from 3 point range.

Those are amazing numbers but it is a very small sample. However, Cam Johnson who is 6'8" was known for his shooting in college. Often shooting translates to the NBA so he should continue to be a good shooter in the NBA. We just don't know if those numbers will hold up long term. They will probably very some.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsca02.html
It’s a very rare thing for a rookie to come out shooting hot like this in the NBA. Although it seems to be a bit more common lately. I think college players are taking a lot more nba range shots.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a very rare thing for a rookie to come out shooting hot like this in the NBA. Although it seems to be a bit more common lately. I think college players are taking a lot more nba range shots.

I find myself wanting Cam to shoot the ball in key stretches of the game. That's something I didn't think would happen coming into the season... wanting a rookie to shoot the ball. James Jones may have gotten this selection right.

Actually I was looking forward to seeing Ty Jerome play more. He can shoot the ball nicely and can play both guard positions as well. However, I haven't heard anything new about his ankle for awhile.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find myself wanting Cam to shoot the ball in key stretches of the game. That's something I didn't think would happen coming into the season... wanting a rookie to shoot the ball. James Jones may have gotten this selection right.

Actually I was looking forward to seeing Ty Jerome play more. He can shoot the ball nicely and can play both guard positions as well. However, I haven't heard anything new about his ankle for awhile.
I remember when Jeff Hornacek was a rookie. I would pray Cotton would take EJ out and put Horny in. EJ was forcing it often by that time in his career and Jeff was money.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when Jeff Hornacek was a rookie. I would pray Cotton would take EJ out and put Horny in. EJ was forcing it often by that time in his career and Jeff was money.

Hornacek was special although his career didn't take off right away. Two things may be realize he would be a solid NBA player, his passing and being able to drive the ball into traffic without turn it over. He was a good shooter as well. Actually Ty Jerome reminds me a bit of Hornacek.