Lakers @ Suns Tuesday game thread 11-22-2022

angelofthesouth

Veteran
Reaction score
This is why NBA players are the biggest ******* in the sports world
That could be--I don't follow other sports--but as with the entire issue, I got bored of blaming players and started blaming the league, the system. It was the league's fault, for instance, for not banning Bruce Bowen after the jump-kick.

Regarding incidents more flagrant and injury-causing than Beverley's assault, I even blame ticket-buying arena fans. Yes, I blame them: for never choosing to punish the league with the only action it would care about: refusing to attend games and possibly even refusing to buy tickets. The only reason the league gets away with allowing players to cheat, or assault opponents, is because ticket-buying fans tolerate it. This can never be me, because I've never been to a real game in my life. Basically, I already do what I just suggested above; that is, I practice what I preach; but I'm only one man. (If I was a hypocrite by watching games on TV back when I could: well, I've stopped.)

There is even a case to be made that the NBA has never properly punished flagrant assaults in its entire history. Why wasn't Kermit Washington banned permanently after almost killing Rudy Tomjanovich? If NBA players are the biggest blankety-blanks, so is their league.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm merely suffering from the ignorance of not having watched the game; and what would help a lot is if we agreed on what words are appropriate to describe what Beverley did. I thought he "pushed" Ayton; it made him sound like an obnoxious five-year-old sneaking up behind someone. Then I saw someone state that Beverly "charged" at Ayton. So was he actually punching Ayton in the back?
Shouldn't you at least watch a clip of what happened before commenting on it?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That could be--I don't follow other sports--but as with the entire issue, I got bored of blaming players and started blaming the league, the system. It was the league's fault, for instance, for not banning Bruce Bowen after the jump-kick.

Regarding incidents more flagrant and injury-causing than Beverley's assault, I even blame ticket-buying arena fans. Yes, I blame them: for never choosing to punish the league with the only action it would care about: refusing to attend games and possibly even refusing to buy tickets. The only reason the league gets away with allowing players to cheat, or assault opponents, is because ticket-buying fans tolerate it. This can never be me, because I've never been to a real game in my life. Basically, I already do what I just suggested above; that is, I practice what I preach; but I'm only one man. (If I was a hypocrite by watching games on TV back when I could: well, I've stopped.)

There is even a case to be made that the NBA has never properly punished flagrant assaults in its entire history. Why wasn't Kermit Washington banned permanently after almost killing Rudy Tomjanovich? If NBA players are the biggest blankety-blanks, so is their league.

They condone it!!! I’ve seen so many people applauding Pat Bev for “sticking up for his teammate”

There is nothing tough about cheap shots

95pro

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You can see AD walk towards DA. DA was already turned in that direction and just kept trotting, that direction would be towards Reeves.

Note that Reeves fell like he got Pistons era hammered. There was no follow through from Book. Soft foul but rules are rules.

Anyway ayton still has the ball in his hands and “stood over” Reeves for a half second before turning, then gets the back shot. I know we all prefer to have a different kind of back shot ;)
AD did nothing to help Reeves. AD triggered the events. I don’t fault DA for anything in this situation. In fact he looked confused for a bit on what the call was. I know I was confused for a second there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He saw the play, my guess here is that Ayton was just pointing out that Reaves flopped and was turning around when Bev hit him. I didn't even see any camera angles where he was saying anything, let alone taunting (other than standing over him).

Bev pushed him, then both he and AD started walking towards DA as if they wanted to continue escalating.

Proximo

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good grief, I just watched a clip from undisputed this morning and they acted like Booker is some thug, and that they fully support Beverly and wished he'd have gone after Book and hit Ayton harder.

Shannon was encouraging the Lakers to go after Book in the next game we play. Are they out of their minds? The foul was just a blocked shot with a bit of follow through, it wasn't an intentional strike at all.

Back in the 90's it would not have even been a foul call, let alone a flagrant or a reason to start a fight.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Good grief, I just watched a clip from undisputed this morning and they acted like Booker is some thug, and that they fully support Beverly and wished he'd have gone after Book and hit Ayton harder.

Shannon was encouraging the Lakers to go after Book in the next game we play. Are they out of their minds? The foul was just a blocked shot with a bit of follow through, it wasn't an intentional strike at all.

Back in the 90's it would not have even been a foul call, let alone a flagrant or a reason to start a fight.
Yes. Yes they are.

95pro

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I watched the entire clip, just wondering if they’re on crack just like Pat Bev

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You can see AD walk towards DA. DA was already turned in that direction and just kept trotting, that direction would be towards Reeves.

Note that Reeves fell like he got Pistons era hammered. There was no follow through from Book. Soft foul but rules are rules.

Anyway ayton still has the ball in his hands and “stood over” Reeves for a half second before turning, then gets the back shot. I know we all prefer to have a different kind of back shot ;)
AD did nothing to help Reeves. AD triggered the events. I don’t fault DA for anything in this situation. In fact he looked confused for a bit on what the call was. I know I was confused for a second there.
Ayton 100% went over to either taunt Reeves or mean mug him. AD was close but he didn’t get to DA until DA was standing right over him. Let’s not just make crap up because our #1 pick taunting an undrafted FA is super cringe.

cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton 100% went over to either taunt Reeves or mean mug him. AD was close but he didn’t get to DA until DA was standing right over him. Let’s not just make crap up because our #1 pick taunting an undrafted FA is super cringe.
Agreed.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm surprised they called a flagrant foul on Booker. I'm guessing if Beverley hadn't tackled Ayton it would have just been a normal foul.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah it was really bad. The Booker play was a normal basketball play nothing dirty at all.

Idk man part of me thinks the Suns need to just set it off next time that dude is on the court. No reason Ish shouldn’t just crack him. You can’t keep letting people do that to you

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised they called a flagrant foul on Booker. I'm guessing if Beverley hadn't tackled Ayton it would have just been a normal foul.
I don't think he got his money's worth for that flagrant but I would have called it too. It just didn't look like a normal follow through and it involved contact to the head so pretty easy call IMO.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't think he got his money's worth for that flagrant but I would have called it too. It just didn't look like a normal follow through and it involved contact to the head so pretty easy call IMO.
Completely disagree. He blocked the ball twice and after the 2nd one his arm was directly above his head and just the gravity if his arm coming back down caused his hand to make contact. There was no wind up whatsoever, no intent to hurt anyone and the contact was pretty weak. No chance that should be a flagrant IMO. The current league is pretty damn soft though, so many refs may disagree.

95pro

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I actually thought it was taunting at first, but on replay I think he was checking on the kid.

If you watch the replay in slow mo his right hand starts to drop and go down towards Reeves. This is right before AD’s right foot goes under where Aytons left foot was about to step, Ayton does some sort of toe tap.

What is funny is that both Lakers player step over Reeves.

Also Pat did this when a series was over in the semis two seasons ago, but now everyone loves it this time?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Duane Washington Jr is actually a terrible shooter which you wouldn’t notice from the eye test. It seems like he makes most of his shots.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duane Washington Jr is actually a terrible shooter which you wouldn’t notice from the eye test. It seems like he makes most of his shots.

I have high hopes for Washington as a third point guard. While he doesn't shoot a high percentage, he looks to be a streak shooter.

Suns need to get him to think pass more. He can create his own shot so that is a plus. The Suns don't have many of these players.

At only 22 I hope the Suns keep developing him.

95pro

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have high hopes for Washington as a third point guard. While he doesn't shoot a high percentage, he looks to be a streak shooter.

Suns need to get him to think pass more. He can create his own shot so that is a plus. The Suns don't have many of these players.

At only 22 I hope the Suns keep developing him.

I’m happy with him as a mini flame thrower as a tertiary option.