Lakers "luck"

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
But, Ouchie, for four decades, Jerry never succeeded in making the Suns a strong playoff contender. It is about results.

With the exception of Barkley who, at 6'4 1/2, couldn't carry it, we have always been a finesse team.

Then Jerry's hand-picked successor turned the Suns into unbalanced losers. Again, it is about results.
If it’s about results I guess you could call the Ewing Knicks an unbalanced loser. And the mourning heat an unbalanced loser. The Portland trailblazers with Duckworth, buck Williams, Kersey, porter, and Clyde unbalanced losers. And the kings with divas, Webber, bibby unbalanced losers. That’s a terrible criteria.

Under colangelo the suns had as good a shot as any of those teams. And he never shunned bigs or tough guys, he just could never land ones he needed.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Come on. This is not true. To the finals twice, conference finals many times.

Jerry's "hand-picked" successor? He was the guy who could put together the cash who said he would keep the team in town. It's not like he groomed Sarver for the job.

The deceitful spin in these statements is laughable.

Are you also laughing at the Suns record and reputation
during this decade? "Deceitful?" Not necessary, even
with you using the initials JC. Let's evaluate facts.

Jerry was not a kid coming out of the Bulls Marketing
department when he chose Sarver and his cronies.

And he was not only a team Executive and Managing
Partner, he was very active in Phoenix politics, The
Phoenix 40. Jerry is, and has always been, sharp!

He had the experience and know-how to investigate
what kind of a leader the small town banker would be.
Just as he chose which politicians to support.

It was his responsibility to do so. If only Jerry could
share with Suns fans how he really feels about it.

But, of course, he can't. And with all due respect,
neither can you. Unless, of course, JCSunsfan is a
pseudonym for the man himself.

Which is it? :)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
But, Ouchie, for four decades, Jerry never succeeded in making the Suns a strong playoff contender. It is about results.

With the exception of Barkley who, at 6'4 1/2, couldn't carry it, we have always been a finesse team.

Then Jerry's hand-picked successor turned the Suns into unbalanced losers. Again, it is about results.
There was a brief period when Xavier McDaniel, the X Man, was in Phoenix that opposing teams feared going in the paint. That guy was built! I think he had a screw loose too! People were visibly afraid of him. Never quite had an intimidator in Phoenix quite like him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was his responsibility to do so. If only Jerry could
share with Suns fans how he really feels about it.

But, of course, he can't. And with all due respect,
neither can you. Unless, of course, JCSunsfan is a
pseudonym for the man himself.

Why can't Jerry tell Suns fans how he feels about it? How would you even know that his feelings are different than his public comments?

Why are you trying to tell someone they don't know how Jerry Colangelo thinks or feels while you are making assumptions yourself about how he thinks and feels?

Hold yourself to the same standards you try to set for other posters.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Why can't Jerry tell Suns fans how he feels about it? How would you even know that his feelings are different than his public comments?

Why are you trying to tell someone they don't know how Jerry Colangelo thinks or feels while you are making assumptions yourself about how he thinks and feels?

Hold yourself to the same standards you try to set for other posters.
What public comments has Jerry made about the Suns folly since turning the team over to Sarver.

When Jerry surprisingly responded to my letter to him, it offered only that hopefully things will
improve, and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. That was his public response.

And where do you get that I made assumptions about how he thinks and feels?

I said, "If only Jerry could share with Suns fans how he really feels about it.",
which he hasn't. We don't know how he really feels about it.

Please don't misquote me.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jerry had a cancer scare. He had inheritance issues involved. He was under the impression that his timeline to move the team could be fairly short. That is public record. For him to rip the present owner would be classless.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What public comments has Jerry made about the Suns folly since turning the team over to Sarver.

Already you're making assumptions in how you phrase this, not asking what comments Jerry has made about selling but specifically framing it as what has Jerry said about the "folly since turning the team over to Sarver". That shows your personal bias against Sarver right off the bat.

Jerry has maintained his position that he sold the team to who he believes was the best buyer available to keep the Suns in Phoenix and someone who would invest in keeping the team competitive. Here's a link to an interview with Colangelo that was done in February of this year. It references the new arena deal as well as this quote about when he sold...

“I felt that when I sold to Robert Sarver, he had a full deck. He had really a good organization, a good team. It lasted for a few years. It’s been disruptive, I guess, for a period of time and there’s been a lot of losing, and that’s sad for fans, for me — I’m sure it doesn’t make Robert Sarver very happy either. I think people want to identify with the good ol’ days, so to speak, and winning. So invariably, even to this day, and it’s 15 years since I’ve sold, I’m stopped by people all the time. I just try to be encouraging. Hang in there, don’t drop the Suns. They’re going to turn it around,” he said.

You saying that Jerry won't speak about his true feelings is implying that they are different from his public comments. His public are above, that he believes the Suns will turn it around and that Sarver isn't happy with losing. If you don't accept those as his feelings, that's on you. Saying he can not or will not speak his feelings to the public for some reason though is you making an implication that he can't, for some reason. Why is that? Why can't Jerry speak his mind, in your opinion? You are one making that claim.

I am not misquoting you. If you don't understand how you not accepting Jerry's own comments as his personal viewpoints then that is you making assumptions about what he thinks and feels. I really don't think it's that hard to understand.

Another part of that interview I find interesting is how Jerry says that if he owned a team with a talent like Devin Booker that he would try to spend more time with him and that he has reached out to spend time with him already, even though he's not the current owner. That seems to imply that Jerry is ok with being hands on with his players. Now, I admit that the idea Jerry is ok with being hands on with his players is my view of his comments and not his words but I don't know how else that can be taken.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a great read @Hoop Head.

I really think the comments about Booker are on target. He is telling the Suns in a discrete way how to keep Booker in Phoenix.

Here is the excerpt you talked about:

“I’ve tried to spend a little time with Booker — I have — in trying to give him some advice. If I had Booker, I’d spend a lot more time with him,” Colangelo said.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1838279/former-phoenix-suns-owner-jerry-colangelo-stays-optimistic/

Jerry Colangelo was very much hands on before he drafted Amare and probably afterwards. There were some questions to be answered. This is why he fell in the draft.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Already you're making assumptions in how you phrase this, not asking what comments Jerry has made about selling but specifically framing it as what has Jerry said about the "folly since turning the team over to Sarver". That shows your personal bias against Sarver right off the bat.
Named one of the worst owners in the NBA. No playoff appearance for the decade. Embarrassing his General Manager. Taking the role of GM himself with no qualifications. Etc. Etc. Etc.

That is not my personal bias. That seems to be your thing -- making your posts personal to try to win debates Which precludes your previous comment about how you win debates.

That is a reaction to the situation. Results, in this case, bad results. That is the basis of my reaction to the performance of Robert Sarver since taking over.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Named one of the worst owners in the NBA. No playoff appearance for the decade. Embarrassing his General Manager. Taking the role of GM himself with no qualifications. Etc. Etc. Etc.

That is not my personal bias. That seems to be your thing -- making your posts personal to try to win debates Which precludes your previous comment about how you win debates.

That is a reaction to the situation. Results, in this case, bad results. That is the basis of my reaction to the performance of Robert Sarver since taking over.

Why am I not surprised that your reaction is to rant about Sarver? Ignore everything else because that "small town banker" is mentioned.

If you care to get back to the discussion we were having let me know. In the meantime, seriously analyze your own posts some and hold yourself to the same standards you try to set for others.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Why am I not surprised that your reaction is to rant about Sarver? Ignore everything else because that "small town banker" is mentioned.

If you care to get back to the discussion we were having let me know. In the meantime, seriously analyze your own posts some and hold yourself to the same standards you try to set for others.
It's not about me, Hoop. It is about results on the court.

Neither you nor I can affect that outcome.

Just the people running the team.

Go Suns! :thumbup:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA