Lack of trust in Wesley

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The guy has not played much due to injuries and when given the chance in a few games is scoring TDs... dare I say he just might be good and we got lucky (disclaimer for all the microscopic critiques fondly pursued by ASFN, you can still be considered good but not great like D-Hop so chill on this observation)
At worst you have a guy who can play outside which enables you to re-sign Kirk if you want to OR you have a true backup to both of your outside WR roles on a roster that likes to keep 6 WRs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
At worst you have a guy who can play outside which enables you to re-sign Kirk if you want to OR you have a true backup to both of your outside WR roles on a roster that likes to keep 6 WRs.
I think it begs the question, could Rondale give you what Kirk does? Could Wesley give you what AJ does? I'd probably try to keep Green because I think it's easier for Rondale to make Kirk plays than it is to depend on Wesley to make Green plays.

Or you just go with the cheaper of the two.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I think it begs the question, could Rondale give you what Kirk does? Could Wesley give you what AJ does? I'd probably try to keep Green because I think it's easier for Rondale to make Kirk plays than it is to depend on Wesley to make Green plays.

Green is a one year rental. Kirk is a 3 to 5 year commitment. Also think Murray will want both but prefer Kirk whom he has a 3 year history with

It's gonna be an interesting offseason.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

If it is me and it clearly isn't, but let's play in that fantasy world. I give Kirk the number of 8 mil, tell him that is what we can afford to pay him, and if he wants to test the market, best of luck. I wish AJ Green the best. He filled a role. If I can get a bargain veteran outside WR ala Allen Robinson at a bargain (aka the 8 mil), I take it. We do have a system that gives skill players opportunities to regain their value. AJ Green / James Conner / Zach Ertz. Agents will see that and encourage their clients to be open to it if they don't get an offer on the market they love. If none bite, I add two vets after the comp period to fill out the room and compete with Wesley and Moore. My plan would also be to use a top 100 draft pick on a WR that doesn't suck.

Essentially, I start the transition to finding players who can outperform contracts vs underperform them. You pay Kirk 11+ mil. There is no way he is outperforming that contract. Same with paying AJ Green another 6-8 mil.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Green is a one year rental. Kirk is a 3 to 5 year commitment. Also think Murray will want both but prefer Kirk whom he has a 3 year history with

It's gonna be an interesting offseason.
I think Murray will be more concerned with Ertz, Conner and Edmonds than Kirk. Just a personal opinion.

If the Cardinals re-sign Kirk to a large contract and Moore can't play outside, you just wasted another high draft pick unless you let Ertz walk and get rid of some TE snaps. Might as well let Edmonds go and use him as a RB at that point.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is me and it clearly isn't, but let's play in that fantasy world. I give Kirk the number of 8 mil, tell him that is what we can afford to pay him, and if he wants to test the market, best of luck. I wish AJ Green the best. He filled a role. If I can get a bargain veteran outside WR ala Allen Robinson at a bargain (aka the 8 mil), I take it. We do have a system that gives skill players opportunities to regain their value. AJ Green / James Conner / Zach Ertz. Agents will see that and encourage their clients to be open to it if they don't get an offer on the market they love. If none bite, I add two vets after the comp period to fill out the room and compete with Wesley and Moore. My plan would also be to use a top 100 draft pick on a WR that doesn't suck.

Essentially, I start the transition to finding players who can outperform contracts vs underperform them. You pay Kirk 11+ mil. There is no way he is outperforming that contract. Same with paying AJ Green another 6-8 mil.
I'm not sure we know how to do that. Our recent history suggests otherwise.

Reaction score
I think Murray will be more concerned with Ertz, Conner and Edmonds than Kirk. Just a personal opinion.

If the Cardinals re-sign Kirk to a large contract and Moore can't play outside, you just wasted another high draft pick unless you let Ertz walk and get rid of some TE snaps. Might as well let Edmonds go and use him as a RB at that point.
Me personally would prefer to re-sign Ertz, Conner, & Edmonds in that order. I would like like to re-sign Kirk & Green but I don't think it's a nearly as important as re-signing Ertz & to a lesser extent Conner & Edmonds. I think Conner & Edmonds compliment each other really well & would prefer to keep them both but at a fair price. Maybe $3-4mil each for 3 years with half of it guaranteed. I think Edmonds will get more on the open market though. I also could be way off in their value lol.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Me personally would prefer to re-sign Ertz, Conner, & Edmonds in that order. I would like like to re-sign Kirk & Green but I don't think it's a nearly as important as re-signing Ertz & to a lesser extent Conner & Edmonds. I think Conner & Edmonds compliment each other really well & would prefer to keep them both but at a fair price. Maybe $3-4mil each for 3 years with half of it guaranteed. I think Edmonds will get more on the open market though. I also could be way off in their value lol.
The sad reality is their shelf life/ window to cash in is more narrow than any other position in football. I’m definitely hoping we offer good contracts, but investing at that position has proven to have horrible ROI.

If I’m Keim, I’m pretty confident in my ability to find that kind of help like I can find a cell phone store. Both in “my” track record and the trend league wide.

I get your point and completely understand the concept, but “productive” ground pounders are a dime a dozen.

… What matters is having a good offensive line.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Great post.. I’m on board with this.