Lack of trust in Wesley

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rewatched the game. And the absence of Hopkins was more noticeable than I thought. There were plays run that you know if Hopkins was out there thats where Kyler was going with the football. There were probably 4 or 5 plays where Wesley probably gets the 1st down, but didnt trust to even look in his direction. A lot of to the sticks plays that he simply didnt have trust.

Its crazy because Wesley probably was a couple inches away from having 3 tds the last two games. Maybe that would have helped spark the connection.

I think the biggest miss of the game was the 4th down to AJ Green. However, thats not the guy. The guy was Ertz. Similar to the 1st Qrt on the all out blitz. Ertz picks up 15 if Kyler throws it to him immediately. Idk if AJ Green was supposed to go 25 yards on a deep in, but it looked like Kyler was throwing for it for 20. Still he had Ertz and didnt take him.

Ultimately he has to trust Wesley more throughout the game though. Teams do not fear him which is good. DBs are trying to cheat off him on some plays to help out on other players. So he's got the space to use his big body to get 1st downs.

Sidenote: If Moore isnt healthy then why not use Andy for gadget plays? I will say he was in on that 4th and 6th and the threat of his speed helped create multiple wide open guys on the field. So at least use him as a decoy to help run off guys.

Last edited:

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Agree. Honestly though, I don’t trust him either. Slow, no separation, and iffy on jump balls. But somebody has to play and Izzy is a slot WR so that leaves us with Wesley.

They should be using Izzy in place of Moore at least as a decoy. Kind of sad when we drafted 3 WR’s in one draft that none of them hit.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree. Honestly though, I don’t trust him either. Slow, no separation, and iffy on jump balls. But somebody has to play and Izzy is a slot WR so that leaves us with Wesley.

They should be using Izzy in place of Moore at least as a decoy. Kind of sad when we drafted 3 WR’s in one draft that none of them hit.
I really think if we kept Keesean there would have been more trust out there between them. However, once I found Wesley had the same agent as Kliff/Kyler I should have known he'd have the leg up if it was close.

Still he has to trust Wesley and his size on those throws to the outside cause they are there.

And yea if no Moore at least keep another guy out there at least as a decoy. Also to rest up the other wrs. Looked like AJ Green was laboring to get down field on that 4th down play.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Keim used three straight 2nd round picks on small speedy slot receivers. He just needs another 1st round ILB to accomplish his double hat tricks. People say the third time's a charm, I guess I can have my hope up for Moore and the next 1st round ILB.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
We are going to complain about our 6th WR coming into 2021?

Dude has only played 5 or 6 games this year.

Kyler has a tendency to not even look left on so many plays with Hopkins in there. Talked about this for the past 2-3 years.

AJ Green is a bigger problem. Dude acts like he doesn't even care out there. Don't forget he cost us 1 game by not knowing the play/not turning around and then another game he basically gave up a pick 6.

Drafting AI in the 2nd round has set us back as well but that's not anything new.

Reactions: PJ1

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
We are going to complain about our 6th WR coming into 2021?

Dude has only played 5 or 6 games this year.

Kyler has a tendency to not even look left on so many plays with Hopkins in there. Talked about this for the past 2-3 years.

AJ Green is a bigger problem. Dude acts like he doesn't even care out there. Don't forget he cost us 1 game by not knowing the play/not turning around and then another game he basically gave up a pick 6.

Drafting AI in the 2nd round has set us back as well but that's not anything’s new.
Agree to disagree.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A few of these forced throws to Ertz would have been 1st downs to Wesley.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I remember Wesley making quite a few plays during the McCoy weeks. But of course McCoy has more reps with him.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rewatched the game. And the absence of Hopkins was more noticeable than I thought. There were plays run that you know if Hopkins was out there thats where Kyler was going with the football. There were probably 4 or 5 plays where Wesley probably gets the 1st down, but didnt trust to even look in his direction. A lot of to the sticks plays that he simply didnt have trust.

Its crazy because Wesley probably was a couple inches away from having 3 tds the last two games. Maybe that would have helped spark the connection.

I think the biggest miss of the game was the 4th down to AJ Green. However, thats not the guy. The guy was Ertz. Similar to the 1st Qrt on the all out blitz. Ertz picks up 15 if Kyler throws it to him immediately. Idk if AJ Green was supposed to go 25 yards on a deep in, but it looked like Kyler was throwing for it for 20. Still he had Ertz and didnt take him.

Ultimately he has to trust Wesley more throughout the game though. Teams do not fear him which is good. DBs are trying to cheat off him on some plays to help out on other players. So he's got the space to use his big body to get 1st downs.

Sidenote: If Moore isnt healthy then why not use Andy for gadget plays? I will say he was in on that 4th and 6th and the threat of his speed helped create multiple wide open guys on the field. So at least use him as a decoy to help run off guys.
Well after Sunday & scoring twice plus almost getting in against the Colts, Kyler may start looking his way now more? Yes he doesn't get good seperation but he's 6' 4" & can use his body like AJ Green does to shield off defenders. Maybe throw him some back shoulder throws down the sideline? You & I have already discussed AI & now is the time to use his straight line speed for either a decoy or possibly a long completion or creating an opening for someone underneath. I'm at the point now that I don't even care if he body catches as long as he catches it. Hopkins may not play again this season so we gotta try something different to keep teams off balance. KK gets too caught up at times dinking & dunking in sort of a triangle if you will, Sunday if I counted correctly, he called plays over 20 yards at least 7 times. Gotta keep defenses honest with the deep shots & also putting Kyler under center more helps with the deep threat. I loved seeing Kyler under center more Sunday.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well after Sunday & scoring twice plus almost getting in against the Colts, Kyler may start looking his way now more? Yes he doesn't get good seperation but he's 6' 4" & can use his body like AJ Green does to shield off defenders. Maybe throw him some back shoulder throws down the sideline? You & I have already discussed AI & now is the time to use his straight line speed for either a decoy or possibly a long completion or creating an opening for someone underneath. I'm at the point now that I don't even care if he body catches as long as he catches it. Hopkins may not play again this season so we gotta try something different to keep teams off balance. KK gets too caught up at times dinking & dunking in sort of a triangle if you will, Sunday if I counted correctly, he called plays over 20 yards at least 7 times. Gotta keep defenses honest with the deep shots & also putting Kyler under center more helps with the deep threat. I loved seeing Kyler under center more Sunday.

Yeah the silver-lining to the Hop injury is that it happened a few weeks ago. Wesley has a chance to get acclimated and maybe just build some chemistry with Kyler before the playoffs start.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
yeah..... trips left with AI and Moore on the inside and Green on the outside..... all out sprint at the snap...
twenty yards downfield,...Green cuts a hard right into a crossing pattern...if the safety stays in deep coverage against the deep threat you got green,...if the safety dips to green Moore should be open over the top.
but at least one of those guys will get behind the defense.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
yeah..... trips left with AI and Moore on the inside and Green on the outside..... all out sprint at the snap...
twenty yards downfield,...Green cuts a hard right into a crossing pattern...if the safety stays in deep coverage against the deep threat you got green,...if the safety dips to green Moore should be open over the top.
but at least one of those guys will get behind the defense.
Really thought we'd be seeing this even before the injuries.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It's now or never for Wesley. What to guarantee your future, ain't no better opportunity like stepping up in playoffs. K1 basically saying as much.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The guy has not played much due to injuries and when given the chance in a few games is scoring TDs... dare I say he just might be good and we got lucky (disclaimer for all the microscopic critiques fondly pursued by ASFN, you can still be considered good but not great like D-Hop so chill on this observation)