Kyrie

chickenhead

Reaction score
I think the Celtics will ask the Cavaliers to sweeten the deal. If the trade goes south, who knows.

However, I don't think the Suns will include Jackson in any trade. This seems to be where they drew the line.

Do you mean the Cavs will ask the Celtics to sweeten the deal? Isn't it the Cavs return that is losing value?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the Cavs will ask the Celtics to sweeten the deal? Isn't it the Cavs return that is losing value?

I'm just saying if the Celtics want the trade to be completed and the injury to IT is a major concern for the Cavaliers, the Cavaliers could ask the Celtics for something more rather than cancel the trade entirely.

In other words the trade can be reconstructed with or without IT.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

My thoughts are the Celtics will play hard ball with the Cavaliers outside of a token gesture and I'm not sure they even offer that.

The Cavaliers knew the situation when they made the trade so I do not feel any sympathy for them.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
My thoughts are the Celtics will play hard ball with the Cavaliers outside of a token gesture and I'm not sure they even offer that.

The Cavaliers knew the situation when they made the trade so I do not feel any sympathy for them.

Agreed....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The Cavs had to be aware of this going into negotiations and his condition is probably why Boston had to add that unprotected Nets' pick. Feels like Cleveland is trying to steal some more value now by being dramatic about the physical.

What a mess.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if the Cavaliers have gotten cold feet in regard IT.

He will be a free agent after this coming season, possibly miss part of the season and he will be looking for a max contract. If IT can't play effectively this season, the trade does not look so good anymore.

If the trade should be voided I can't help but think the Celtics will be looking towards the Suns again to trade Kyrie. Maybe Bledsoe, Dragan Bender and the 2018 Miami pick does not look so bad anymore.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ainge Gots em right where he wants em

Does he? He's got his own problem here bringing back Thomas, the heart and soul of his team, after trying to pawn him off on Cleveland, not to mention if he IS that damaged, he won't help the Celtics anyway.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if the Cavaliers have gotten cold feet in regard IT.

He will be a free agent after this coming season, possibly miss part of the season and he will be looking for a max contract. If IT can't play effectively this season, the trade does not look so good anymore.

If the trade should be voided I can't help but think the Celtics will be looking towards the Suns again to trade Kyrie. Maybe Bledsoe, Dragan Bender and the 2018 Miami pick does not look so bad anymore.

Agree about our offer looking pretty good if they bail on Ainge.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does he? He's got his own problem here bringing back Thomas, the heart and soul of his team, after trying to pawn him off on Cleveland, not to mention if he IS that damaged, he won't help the Celtics anyway.

they weren't bringing IT back next year anyway. As it's been said they only have like 3 guys on the roster from last year. It's a totally different team. The Cavs would have a much bigger problem on there hands

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This would've been an excellent lineup...

Irving
Bradley
Brown
Hayward
Horford
-
Rozier
Smart
Crowder (trade Tatum instead of Crowder/pick)
Yabusele
Zizic

If they were trading IT regardless they should've found a way to keep Bradley. I realize they had to make the Morris trade to sign Hayward but Kyrie/Bradley would've been a top-5 backcourt. I also would've traded Tatum instead of the BRK pick just regarding the Irving deal. Then they'd have more ammo next summer to make another blockbuster or just draft Ayton/Bagley/Bamba. I think Avery Bradley is worth 20mil a year in today's league b/c his skill set. His ceiling isn't high but he's a complete player.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they weren't bringing IT back next year anyway. As it's been said they only have like 3 guys on the roster from last year. It's a totally different team. The Cavs would have a much bigger problem on there hands

they were bringing back IT THIS year though and that's still going to be a problem... and are they really gonna be content letting an asset like him go for nothing at the end of this year? That doesn't make much sense if he comes back as well.

Unless they're content with just being bad this season, they still need to make this deal or they'll have an IT problem, whether he plays or not this year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree about our offer looking pretty good if they bail on Ainge.

Maybe the Cavaliers are thinking the same thing about now.

Actually if IT is not healthy and they complete the trade, it doesn't make sense for Lebron or the Cavaliers to stay together.

I know Lebron has a no trade clause this season but why on earth would he want to stay in Cleveland on a mediocre team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind contacting Cleveland about a trade but not for Kyrie, if that deal falls through. I'd like to see if the Suns can get Shumpert, since he asked out of Cleveland also. We need depth at SG and he'd provide it and he'd also be a good veteran to help mentor Josh Jackson. Trade Chandler for Shumpert and Frye. That gives the Suns someone who can start at Center, Frye, and a backup SG in Shumpert. The Cav's get Chandler who could start in place of Tristan Thompson, he brings the same things to table as Tristan except he can be a rim protecter and isn't undersized, he's a great rebounder still. They'd clear some salary in the deal lightening their tax load also. They'd be sending out $17.7 million in salary and only acquiring $13 million. They're paying repeat offender rates so every dollar over the tax threshold is paid twice in fines, so the 4.7 million in salary they shed allows them to save an extra 9.4 million in luxury tax, saving them $14.1 million total.

Chandler and Shumpert's deals both have 1 more year after this one but Frye expires after this season. So the Suns would open up a little more cap room this summer and I'm sure they could unload an expiring Shumpert in the offseason or at the deadline when/if Reed returns. We don't need Chandler here anymore and we could send him to a contender while getting back someone we need now, a backup SG, and fill the gap at Center this season with Frye. We're not winning much anyways and Frye is a fan favorite. He barely got off the bench in the playoffs for the Cavs anyways so I don't see why they wouldn't send him elsewhere if possible and Shumpert wants out. Sounds fair on both ends to me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's looking more and more like the Celtics and Cavaliers get a deal done in the Kyrie trade.

I have to admit I am still hoping the trade falls apart.

Cleveland and Boston officials started to engage each other on a solution Tuesday, league sources told ESPN. The Cavs are no longer seeking one of the Celtics' top young players, but they are still determined to land one of Boston's first-round picks as compensation, and the conversation has included second-round considerations, too, league sources said.

The deadline to report and submit to a physical for the players involved in the trade is 10 a.m. ET Wednesday, and the deadline to pass the physical is 10 a.m. ET Thursday, per league rules.

by Adrian Wojnarowski ESPN

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20501325/isaiah-thomas-says-return-hip-injury-same-player

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want him, but I hope their deal falls apart just for the comedy of it.