Kyrie

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Steven A Smith brought up a great point today. Saying you still have Kyrie for 2 years and when the time comes if the fit ain't right now you have a very valuable asset to move if you need to move him to a contender looking for and edge at the midway point

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

While I'm sure this is probably true, it could also help someone get him for less. Like the story suggested, his value which was already lower then normal, just dropped another peg.

It's not about us, but about anything.

Bledsoe + Miami '18 is the most I'd go.

Guess that's what the Cavs get after having him learn from LeME the last few years.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steven A Smith brought up a great point today. Saying you still have Kyrie for 2 years and when the time comes if the fit ain't right now you have a very valuable asset to move if you need to move him to a contender looking for and edge at the midway point

So we give up assets to rent him for a year and then try to sell him for pennies on the dollar at the 11th hour? That doesn't make sense for a team like Phoenix.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Well that should be all she wrote, then. We're certainly not looking for a rental.

chickenhead

Reaction score

I was thinking about that, too, but it's a bigger risk for the Suns than a team that's looking for playoff wins (and revenue) in the meantime. Most likely every team is just going to be waiting for the Suns to try to move him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So we give up assets to rent him for a year and then try to sell him for pennies on the dollar at the 11th hour? That doesn't make sense for a team like Phoenix.
That's not the plan, that's the back up plan. The Suns might be in the exact same situation with Bledsoe anyway.

The Suns would have an opportunity to extend him next year and Bird rights to sign him the year after. They could also Let him walk if he isn't working out for the team. At some point you have to have some veteran players and looming free agency will always be a part of that. No team of players on long term rookie deals is going to win a championship.

Is Kyrie the perfect player? No. But he is a star player. There are only a few players in the league better and they are not attainable. It's time to get out of tank mode.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think this is a big deal. No player would commit to an extension with 2 years left considering the money he would potentially be sacrificing by hitting free agency.

He has 2 years left. Most guys unless they are signing a super max are only signing 3 to 4 year contracts and big enough stars get player options. Unless a guy flames out or demands a trade right away after signing a contract you'll be hard pressed to acquire an established star via trade with more than 2 years left on his contract in today's NBA.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
The Suns would be willing to trade Eric Bledsoe to Cleveland as part of a deal for Kyrie Irving, according to Terry Pluto of Cleveland.com.

The report also claims that Phoenix would include Bledsoe in a package even if Irving wasn't willing to commit to the Suns long term. However, Phoenix does not want to part with rookie Josh Jackson. The Cavs obviously have a great interest in Devin Booker as well, but Booker is "as close to untouchable as anyone on the Suns' roster." Bledsoe is good friends with LeBron James, as the two share the same agent and often work out together, so the Suns will continue to be one of the teams mentioned as a possible trade partner.

Source: Cleveland.com
Aug 4 - 10:05 AM

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns included Josh Jackson along with Bledsoe and a first round pick in a trade for Irving, it would already be done.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's quite a bit of chatter today. I wonder if a deal is imminent.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
For those that don't want to click:

We are offering Bledsoe, Bender, and Miami's 2017 first.

That is a very good offer.

That would be a great deal. Although I would prefer sending len instead of Bender. Bender could be everything you could want in a mobile big man. Everything that len isnt.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Trading for 2 years of Kyrie Irving is nothing but a marketing play and the very idea reeks of Robert Sarver. All this time saving up assets and we piss it away on uni-dimensional player who is only interested in his own career. Heck, to tell the truth I wouldn't want the trade if he promised to resign because his demands will be so high we couldn't afford him.

This is a uniquely idiotic trade.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Giving Bender away would be stupid. I'm getting nervous.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If that's truly the case then we should just break off talks. Let them stew in the drama and try to get a better offer elsewhere.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If that's truly the case then we should just break off talks. Let them stew in the drama and try to get a better offer elsewhere.

I am a fan of taking a shot a Kyrie while his value is down. Anything beyond what we offered is paying full price.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am a fan of taking a shot a Kyrie while his value is down. Anything beyond what we offered is paying full price.

That's how I generally feel about it...only if we get a deal.

Last edited:

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trading for 2 years of Kyrie Irving is nothing but a marketing play and the very idea reeks of Robert Sarver. All this time saving up assets and we piss it away on uni-dimensional player who is only interested in his own career. Heck, to tell the truth I wouldn't want the trade if he promised to resign because his demands will be so high we couldn't afford him.

This is a uniquely idiotic trade.

Agree totally, any trade with bender or chriss would also disgust me (jackson might make me quit ).

Mainly because it is totally idiotic, if kyrie is a free agent you have to convince him to resign in 2 years, you know what else that means....in two years you can sign him if he is a free agent somewhwre else as suns will have massive cap room in 2019.

So you get what the 2 year attention bump, at the outside risk you are trading the next porzinigs .

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Let some other team overpay for Kyrie and try to pick up some assets in a multi-team trade.

Then, when the trade deadline comes, make out like a bandit when teams underachieve.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
For those that don't want to click:

We are offering Bledsoe, Bender, and Miami's 2017 first.

That is a very good offer.

It's a terrible offer. Bledsoe is worth a top 5 pick. Bender was a top 5 pick. Miami's will be in the 20's.

That's way too much to give for a guy that:

1. Has red flags wanting to leave this year. (One key GS injury and they win the championship. Even then they might still win.)
2. Completely one dimensional player. Albeit one of the best one on one scoring Off Guards in the last ten years.
3. Makes absolutely NO SENSE to add to a young team that's figuring themselves out.
4. Makes our team one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose