"Kyler Murray's been sacked 49 times this year"

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Monday Night Football took the time to ask Alexa who had been sacked the most this year, just now, in a 17-17 tie.

Talk about rubbing it in.
#fixtheline

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Philly’s WRs are worse than ours. Jesus Christ.
It's rough for sure, but Wentz is a pretty bad QB. Can't play unless everything is going his way. I think that ACL just ruined everything that made him dynamic.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
currently being reminded how much I miss Marcus Golden..... add that to the list of blunders for our GM who shall not be named.

high motor guy that was key to our previously elite defense
So glad we kept Minter!!! At least they Could’ve retained Bynes instead.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not that it makes much of a difference, but pretty sure it's 46 sacks. Also to be fair through the first 3 games he was on pace to be sacked about 65 times by this point of the season.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
currently being reminded how much I miss Marcus Golden..... add that to the list of blunders for our GM who shall not be named.

high motor guy that was key to our previously elite defense

holy crap this is the stuff that kills me. Listen if you want to fire SK then go for it

but you can’t crap all over him one minute for giving guys like DJ and Honey Badger contracts after getting hurt and they not being the same players.

then crap all over him for not signing Golden after he got hurt. This isn’t even true by the way Golden was not good when he came back. WAS NOT GOOD when he came back. He’s taken a long time to get back to being productive. That’s the truth. No Golden was never the key to our defense just stop. As long as there was a guy named Chandler Jones here

and good for him cause he was a guy I always liked and fans crapped on ( me included) when he was considered a huge reach when he was drafted. Now Golden is still being productive and Shane Ray is out of the NFL.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
holy crap this is the stuff that kills me. Listen if you want to fire SK then go for it

but you can’t crap all over him one minute for giving guys like DJ and Honey Badger contracts after getting hurt and they not being the same players.

then crap all over him for not signing Golden after he got hurt. This isn’t even true by the way Golden was not good when he came back. WAS NOT GOOD when he came back. He’s taken a long time to get back to being productive. That’s the truth. No Golden was never the key to our defense just stop. As long as there was a guy named Chandler Jones here

and good for him cause he was a guy I always liked and fans crapped on ( me included) when he was considered a huge reach when he was drafted. Now Golden is still being productive and Shane Ray is out of the NFL.
You're totally right here, but Keim being incapable of finding a guy that can have sustained success here is a legitimate concern.

I'm not willing to do the research at the moment, but I'd really love to see which other GMs have this kind of track record with a lack of successful players re-signed.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're totally right here, but Keim being incapable of finding a guy that can have sustained success here is a legitimate concern.

I'm not willing to do the research at the moment, but I'd really love to see which other GMs have this kind of track record with a lack of successful players re-signed.

honestly a lot of it is just dumb bad luck

Honey Badger
David Johnson
Marcus Golden
John Brown

all drafted and out performed there draft spot but were never the same after getting hurt. Anyone who says you can see injuries coming is just flat out full of it.

Jonathon Cooper was considered a “safe” pick a plug and play 10 year all pro and boom season ending injury. Was he ever going to be that guy? Who knows.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It’s something like 50% of first round draft picks make it to there second contract and it just goes down from there.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
honestly a lot of it is just dumb bad luck

Honey Badger
David Johnson
Marcus Golden
John Brown

all drafted and out performed there draft spot but were never the same after getting hurt. Anyone who says you can see injuries coming is just flat out full of it.

Jonathon Cooper was considered a “safe” pick a plug and play 10 year all pro and boom season ending injury. Was he ever going to be that guy? Who knows.
It’s something like 50% of first round draft picks make it to there second contract and it just goes down from there.
Quoting both posts since my points are the same overall...

None of those guys were first round picks. Which is fine, in theory, but we're talking 4 guys out of 54 draft picks that we'd even consider re-signing, only two who did, and the last one remaining is on the outs. That's not considering picks traded away, and Chandler Jones is a true success story, but the reason this team is so bad is that we haven't acquired any cheap and successful players through the draft in a long time. Certainly, no pillars of our roster.

I can't really find another team that doesn't have a guy they drafted who is a rising/established star at the moment. The best we have is either Kyler or Kirk, and both have significant questions still.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quoting both posts since my points are the same overall...

None of those guys were first round picks. Which is fine, in theory, but we're talking 4 guys out of 54 draft picks that we'd even consider re-signing, only two who did, and the last one remaining is on the outs. That's not considering picks traded away, and Chandler Jones is a true success story, but the reason this team is so bad is that we haven't acquired any cheap and successful players through the draft in a long time. Certainly, no pillars of our roster.

I can't really find another team that doesn't have a guy they drafted who is a rising/established star at the moment. The best we have is either Kyler or Kirk, and both have significant questions still.

my point is we did draft guys who could be pillars they just got hurt. David Johnson was thought to be one of the 3 best players in the NFL at his position and Honey Badger maybe the best guy in the NFL at his position.

what would we look like if those 4 guys never got hurt?

but they did and that’s the NFL.

oh and Dolphins, Redskins, Giants, Bengals

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
my point is we did draft guys who could be pillars they just got hurt. David Johnson was thought to be one of the 3 best players in the NFL at his position and Honey Badger maybe the best guy in the NFL at his position.

Dolphins, sure, I agree with, but they traded away Minkah Fitzpatrick, who would have been considered a cornerstone.

Skins? Terry McLaurin, maybe Guice, Ryan Kerrigan for sure.

Giants? Saquon Barkley is a pretty fast and quick choice, along with Evan Engram, and Daniel Jones has potential, but I'm happy to count him as lesser or equal to Kyler.

Bengals? Tyler Boyd. Maybe Joe Mixon, but that's pushing it. Geno Atkins has been there for nearly a decade.

This is all off the top of my head, but we've been pretty awful at this.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Did you know that Shane Ray & Marcus Golden were teammates & both of the starting DE's on the SEC east division championship team for Missouri? It was their first or second yr after moving to the SEC. I remember it well. Hated it when my Kentucky Wildcats had to block those 2. Our QB had no chance lol. Of course Shane Ray was the more hyped one of the two but looks like Golden is gonna be a better pro, plus longer career. Golden wasn't resigned imo because he didn't look even remotely close to his old self, after the injury. Of course he starts playing like it again when he signs with NY.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My issue

Is the mid level dudes Keim has let go. Bobby Massie. Lorenzo Alexander. Jaron Brown. Evan Boehm. Justin Bethel. Josh Bynes. Darren Fells. Josh Mauro. Kareem Martin. Alex Okafor. None of these got big paychecks but letting them go meant that we needed to use resources to replace them.

I get being cautious with Mathieu, Tony Jefferson, and to an extent, Markus Golden. However, the rest of those guys were just good clubhouse and culture dudes which forced us to add Gresham, Clay, Kevin Peterson, Brooks Reed, Marcus Gilbert, Keesean Johnson, Lamont Gaillard, and so on and so forth.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he runs into more than he avoids. He IS avoiding sacks make no mistake, but he's taking sacks he doesn't need to, especially the ones he runs out of bounds on.

I like that he throws the ball away to protect it, I don't like that he takes losses stepping out of bounds when he could just throw the ball away, or make a decision earlier and get the ball out safely.

They have to teach him to step up, he needs to be doing that same drill Dak does before games, Palmer was so good at that, Wilson now is amazing at it.

Watch Seattle some time and see how often there's defenders around RW, he ducks down but with balance, and somehow comes out the other end and makes a play, he has an amazing knack for it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you know that Shane Ray & Marcus Golden were teammates & both of the starting DE's on the SEC east division championship team for Missouri? It was their first or second yr after moving to the SEC. I remember it well. Hated it when my Kentucky Wildcats had to block those 2. Our QB had no chance lol. Of course Shane Ray was the more hyped one of the two but looks like Golden is gonna be a better pro, plus longer career. Golden wasn't resigned imo because he didn't look even remotely close to his old self, after the injury. Of course he starts playing like it again when he signs with NY.

of course that’s why I brought up Shane Ray.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My issue

Is the mid level dudes Keim has let go. Bobby Massie. Lorenzo Alexander. Jaron Brown. Evan Boehm. Justin Bethel. Josh Bynes. Darren Fells. Josh Mauro. Kareem Martin. Alex Okafor. None of these got big paychecks but letting them go meant that we needed to use resources to replace them.

I get being cautious with Mathieu, Tony Jefferson, and to an extent, Markus Golden. However, the rest of those guys were just good clubhouse and culture dudes which forced us to add Gresham, Clay, Kevin Peterson, Brooks Reed, Marcus Gilbert, Keesean Johnson, Lamont Gaillard, and so on and so forth.

Your post made me research the other NFC West teams and the players they draft and keep, and I included BA's last year, because that tells the tale, IMO.

In our good coaching year (2017), we only had 9 starters drafted by us, and that isn't a result of a rebuild like the 49ers. Also shows how well the Rams drafted since McVay took over and didn't need to churn the roster - he got it to work immediately.

The irony is that no team has that many second contracts in place for very long, so he isn't far off from the target on that, which means... terrible drafting by Keim. Even with the same coaches for 5 years, he couldn't reach an average number of drafted starters for BA.

LA Rams
2017: 14 starters / 26 roster / 7
2018: 13 starters / 27 roster / 5
2019: 12 starters / 24 roster / 5

AZ Cards
2017: 9 starters / 26 roster / 8
2018: 10 starters / 21 roster / 3
2019: 8 starters / 19 roster / 5

SEA Seahawks
2017: 13 starters / 28 roster / 9
2018: 15 starters / 28 roster / 5
2019: 13 starters / 29 roster / 5