Kyler Murray - Rule 5 Eligible

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You know because I think it sucks doesn't invalidate your enjoyment right?

I like soccer, I'm sure many here think it sucks.

I find baseball dull. Its great you don't.

I more than like Premier League (football).

Someday, I'm going to find someone to explain Cricket scoring to me.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I would rather watch baseball than soccer/hockey. I respect the hell out of hockey players but there’s so little control of the puck it’s hard to watch.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I tried to watch it when I was in Scotland.
The only thing worse than Cricket is the Cricket post game show.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I love cricket too. In fact this might sound weird but I find a lot of parallels to football.

It's turn based, offense vs defense. There are multiple ways to score. There's one guy that's in the spotlight more than anyone else (batsman vs QB) and everyone's trying to stop that guy.

There's obviously a lot that's very different but of all the sports I watch it;s often the one I find drawing the most parallels to.

It's pretty simple though when you get down to it.

Batting team to do/not to do list:

Don't let the ball hit your wickets
Hit the ball when you can
Don't hit it where an opposing player can catch the ball or your done

You can score by hitting the ball into space and running between the wickets
Hit the ball along the ground until it hits the boundary rope (4 runs)
Hit it in the air over the boundary rope (6 runs).

The fielding team basically does the opposite.

The World T20 just started. It's the shortest most aggressive form of cricket where each team only gets 120 balls each. It's the easiest and most exciting to jump into and this is like the World cup version. Give it a try.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love cricket too. In fact this might sound weird but I find a lot of parallels to football.

It's turn based, offense vs defense. There are multiple ways to score. There's one guy that's in the spotlight more than anyone else (batsman vs QB) and everyone's trying to stop that guy.

There's obviously a lot that's very different but of all the sports I watch it;s often the one I find drawing the most parallels to.

It's pretty simple though when you get down to it.

Batting team to do/not to do list:

Don't let the ball hit your wickets
Hit the ball when you can
Don't hit it where an opposing player can catch the ball or your done

You can score by hitting the ball into space and running between the wickets
Hit the ball along the ground until it hits the boundary rope (4 runs)
Hit it in the air over the boundary rope (6 runs).

The fielding team basically does the opposite.

The World T20 just started. It's the shortest most aggressive form of cricket where each team only gets 120 balls each. It's the easiest and most exciting to jump into and this is like the World cup version. Give it a try.

So the batsman remains alive until a) ball hits wicket or b) ball is caught?

Give me the scoring if a batsman hits the boundary rope 4 times (4x4) and over the boundary 2 times (2x6)?

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rule 5 draft helps spread the wealth of minor league players. The selecting team
snags a player, pays the old team a fee and must keep that player on their roster for some amount of time, I can’t remember.
the whole season

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would want to play baseball over football (except money). It's boring AF.

"Hey Kyler. You can go from being a superstar QB in the NFL getting 65 touches a game to standing in left hoping the ball comes your way so you have something to do and you might get to swing a bat on 3 separate occasions if your are lucky. But first you have to play 2-3 season for the Panoopski Pirates".
Baseball is a perfect game

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he was suggesting being a lefty reliever for the money specifically. Obviously Kyler will make a lot more than that in the NFL, but as far as money vs responsibility it probably doesn't get much easier than lefty reliever in baseball.
I always thought if I had a son that was into sports I would encourage him to be a left handed pitcher or a long snapper.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the batsman remains alive until a) ball hits wicket or b) ball is caught?

Give me the scoring if a batsman hits the boundary rope 4 times (4x4) and over the boundary 2 times (2x6)?

Yes the batsman is alive as long as,

a) the ball doesn't hit his wicket when bowled at him
b) the ball isn't caught in the air (without hitting the ground) after he hits it
c) He isn't caught out of his crease and "stumped".

This last one is more straight forward than it sounds. In front of each wicket about 2 yards away is a line. That's the batsmans "crease". Think of it like the LOS. Everything between that line and the wicket is his. If any part of him, including any part of his bat, is caught outside of the crease and a fielder hits the wickets with the ball he's out. This most commonly happens when running between wickets or playing forward to hit the ball, missing, and being stumped by the wicket keeper.

There are some parallels to baseball here if you imagine the wickets are a base.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
When stationed in Europe, we went to the pub several times and tried figuring out cricket. The game had absolutely no rhyme or reason. As I recall, they would cheer and get happy sometimes when something would happen, but be upset sometimes when the same exact things happened. Then again, I'm sure someone in India or Pakistan might feel the exact same way watching football :D

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
imagine if your #1 pick decided to go play another sport and you got nothing.

NuttinButTDs

Registered
Reaction score
When stationed in Europe, we went to the pub several times and tried figuring out cricket. The game had absolutely no rhyme or reason. As I recall, they would cheer and get happy sometimes when something would happen, but be upset sometimes when the same exact things happened. Then again, I'm sure someone in India or Pakistan might feel the exact same way watching football :D
As a guy who lived in India and East Africa, we considered rounders (baseball) a sissy game. Cricket is my first love, but American Football is close second.

Baseball is a pitchers game, cricket is a batters game.

NuttinButTDs

Registered
Reaction score
The first ever international cricket game was played between the USA and Canada in 1844 at the St George's Cricket Club in New York and in 1859 a team of leading English professionals visited North America on the first-ever overseas tour

But USA gave up on cricket as it gave up on all things English

NuttinButTDs

Registered
Reaction score
Founded in 1854, The Philadelphia Cricket Club is one of the oldest clubs in the country devoted to the playing of games. Way before NFL.