Kyler Murray makes weak closing argument for second contract

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Things will never change here unless Kingsbury and Kyler learn how to play professional football and not the college game.
Kliffs play calling and Kylers decisions all worked in college because of wider hash marks and limited talent.
Kyler chooses the wrong wr so often it’s ridiculous. Even when he’s successful it’s only because he threw and absolutely perfect pass a or a miraculous catch. He believes he can do that every time and he can’t. Nobody can. He needs to understand an easy 8 yard completion is better than an incomplete 20 yard pass that had a 2% chance of completion.
Kingsbury has to learn the same thing. He should , but won’t scale back on the no huddle crap every damn play. He needs to understand a 2 yard run in on the first drive will eventually be a 5 yard run later in the game with some persistence. He needs to understand trick plays work when you have an opponent on their heels. Don’t go empty backfield against a d-line that is owning you and if you do it better be a play that Kyler gets the ball out of his hand in 2.5 seconds or less.

This is the NCAA.
I am not sure I understand how wider hash marks make play easier. Can somebody please educate me on this? Does that mean the football field is wider in college than in NFL?

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Peyton Manning was a perennial playoff choke artist.

He had clutch issues all the way back to Tennessee. He couldn’t beat Florida then Tee Martin won the NC the year after he left (at SDS). Even though he was a choker early on nobody ever questioned his commitment. Will this meltdown change the way KM goes about working?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get him a better WR Corp, and I think you'll see him play better. Did we even have a decent WR2 playing with him on Monday?
NOBODY played well. Nobody.

You could argue our best player was the one that shouldn't have been counted on to contribute at all. (Watt)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Get him a better WR Corp, and I think you'll see him play better. Did we even have a decent WR2 playing with him on Monday?
How long are we going to get excuses and "get him a better" type of arguments? When will he pull what Aaron Rodgers did and elevate the WRs around him? When will we see progress rather than scared little child regression? Okay, maybe "get him a better coach" is fair :)

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am not sure I understand how wider hash marks make play easier. Can somebody please educate me on this? Does that mean the football field is wider in college than in NFL?

The hash marks in the NFL are 18 feet apart

The hash marks in college are 40 feet apart

When you have the ball snapped from one of the hash marks in college, the field on one side of the ball is larger than it will ever be in the NFL, where the ball always stays near center field. That's what allows colleges to spread plays out horizontally. They have much more room to work with on one side of the field. That doesn't translate to the NFL. Kingsbury has struggled to adapt his college spread system to the NFL, where verticality rules the day, and spread doesn't work.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The one thing I see KM and ML have in common seems to be their lack of desire to master the mental part of the game. They both spent their lives living off their talent (clearly Kyler has more talent and much greater dedication to physical conditioning).

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The hash marks in the NFL are 18 feet apart

The hash marks in college are 40 feet apart

When you have the ball snapped from one of the hash marks in college, the field on one side of the ball is larger than it will ever be in the NFL, where the ball always stays near center field. That's what allows colleges to spread plays out horizontally. They have much more room to work with on one side of the field. That doesn't translate to the NFL. Kingsbury has struggled to adapt his college spread system to the NFL, where verticality rules the day, and spread doesn't work.
I see, makes total sense, thank you for the explanation.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How long are we going to get excuses and "get him a better" type of arguments? When will he pull what Aaron Rodgers did and elevate the WRs around him? When will we see progress rather than scared little child regression? Okay, maybe "get him a better coach" is fair :)
Or get him a better pair of eyes and a better brain.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He kinda sucked before… He wasn’t a hard worker.
LOL. You aren't exactly wrong, but I think he had the locker room for a little while at least.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

From SBNation, “Because of the placement of the ball on the hashes, it drastically changes a formation since the field is “wider” in college compared to the NFL.

For example, if the ball is placed on the left hash mark on a college field, there’s 100 feet between the ball and the right sideline. On an NFL field, there’d be 89.25 feet between the ball on the left hash and the right sidelines. I know, that’s only a difference of a little over 10 feet, but that can have a big effect on the game.

On the other hand, there’s less field into the boundary (short side of the field) in college and more in the NFL. This field structure means defenses must cheat their alignment to certain formations.

I was watching the Arizona Cardinals’ second preseason game against the Oakland Raiders. We know the Cardinals have a new head coach, Kliff Kingsbury, who had spent his entire coaching career (10 seasons) in college, where the hash marks are wider. His offense is being guided by rookie quarterback Kyler Murray. The Cardinals had issues in this game with pressure, and ESPN commentator Booger McFarland mentioned how the basic look of pressure packages in the NFL differ from college football because of the hash marks.”

Basically it’s harder to read NFL defenses.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would think that it would be easier since the athletes in the NFL are better and the field shrinks... like how it is easier at times to defend in the red zone since there isn't as much real estate to work with.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
From SBNation, “Because of the placement of the ball on the hashes, it drastically changes a formation since the field is “wider” in college compared to the NFL.

For example, if the ball is placed on the left hash mark on a college field, there’s 100 feet between the ball and the right sideline. On an NFL field, there’d be 89.25 feet between the ball on the left hash and the right sidelines. I know, that’s only a difference of a little over 10 feet, but that can have a big effect on the game.

On the other hand, there’s less field into the boundary (short side of the field) in college and more in the NFL. This field structure means defenses must cheat their alignment to certain formations.

I was watching the Arizona Cardinals’ second preseason game against the Oakland Raiders. We know the Cardinals have a new head coach, Kliff Kingsbury, who had spent his entire coaching career (10 seasons) in college, where the hash marks are wider. His offense is being guided by rookie quarterback Kyler Murray. The Cardinals had issues in this game with pressure, and ESPN commentator Booger McFarland mentioned how the basic look of pressure packages in the NFL differ from college football because of the hash marks.”

Thanks for the explanation, Harry. I appreciate it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose