Kyler Murray makes weak closing argument for second contract

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hate the internet. I'm deleting now!

And it looks like the Jets game was in Mannings 3rd professional game.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199809200nyj.htm

It was his third playoff game. He lost the first 2 with awful stats as well. Didn't win a playoff game until age 27. This board would have turned on him and called the future HoFer a bust/fraud 4 years earlier.

You can filter to playoffs under the passing category.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I ponder did this ruin Kyler ? You know like whis did to leinart? Leinart came back after MNM and set rookie records under Denny, before whis got a hold of him.
said he was trying to see how he would respond to adversity, seen pretty much, ruined him.
whis went on to ruin himself, because he couldn’t respond to adversity.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ponder did this ruin Kyler ? You know like whis did to leinart? Leinart came back after MNM and set rookie records under Denny, before whis got a hold of him.
said he was trying to see how he would respond to adversity, seen pretty much, ruined him.
What rookie records did Matt leinart set?

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This grossly misunderstands how the NFL and coaches work. The Cards can lose 41-11 with or without Kyler Murray. If he holds out of training camp the next two seasons when he's under contract, his reputation (which is all he has aside from some Very Meaningful high school championships) would be completely tarnished (until his first game with 300 passing yards and 3 TDs).

Kliff went 2-1 with Colt McCoy last season; he could do so again.

LOL. I love the "Let's not forget that he had a Really Good Stretch before he did nothing to help the team win over the second half of the year and was also injured" argument.

Yeah he played like crap down the stretch and when we needed him most. Not sure what is wrong with saying that. My point is he isnt a complete lost cause but is it his attitude which is keeping him back?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah he played like crap down the stretch and when we needed him most. Not sure what is wrong with saying that. My point is he isnt a complete lost cause but is it his attitude which is keeping him back?
I’d say lack of work ethic(as it relates to film and understanding defenses) not the weight room.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was his third playoff game. He lost the first 2 with awful stats as well. Didn't win a playoff game until age 27. This board would have turned on him and called the future HoFer a bust/fraud 4 years earlier.

So the tweet was half right. Good to know. I know Manning had some stinkers for sure, so I trusted the tweet.

Also looks like the Farve game happened too, but a bit later as well.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither of those things are true. The Colts lost to the Titans in Manning’s first playoff game and threw no picks. Favre won his first playoff game and threw 3 TD’s.
Upon further review, the games did happen, just not in their first playoff game. I'll give the tweet a misleading label instead of false.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Time And a place that wasn’t the time or the place to worry about a tablet. Game was all but over.
A) It was in the 3rd quarter...not over.
B) If fans think its over, that's one thing...I personally don't want my QB (team leader) ever thinking it's over.
C) Is there more than 1 screenshot? Do we know for sure he didn't go over at the beginning and get called back to the bench, because ya know, the game wasn't over and he has to be able to compartmentalize like true leaders do.
D) Never in a million years would I have thought I'd defend Murray like this, but here we are. He did nothing wrong, IMO. If he allows Budda to get in his head, he ends up risking serious injury to himself or others. Remember when Kurt almost got Boldin killed and for a moment thought about quitting?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A) It was in the 3rd quarter...not over.
B) If fans think its over, that's one thing...I personally don't want my QB (team leader) ever thinking it's over.
C) Is there more than 1 screenshot? Do we know for sure he didn't go over at the beginning and get called back to the bench, because ya know, the game wasn't over and he has to be able to compartmentalize like true leaders do.
D) Never in a million years would I have thought I'd defend Murray like this, but here we are. He did nothing wrong, IMO. If he allows Budda to get in his head, he ends up risking serious injury to himself or others. Remember when Kurt almost got Boldin killed and for a moment thought about quitting?
The fact that your even trying to justify it is about the silliest thing ever. No point even debating just how pathetic it actually was.

THESMEL

Reaction score
Bunch of them, guess cards main site got rid of the archives that included note cards on each player. i know he had multiple text games, completions, cards and NFL record that was later topped - I’ll see if I can find in my history, think I’m the only one that talked about them. It’s 15 years ago mnm folk tales mentions some.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Peyton Manning was a perennial playoff choke artist.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This is a legitimate question, though there were numerous Murray issues before this game. I have long maintained they ruined Leinart.

THESMEL

Reaction score
Some
Matt went on to post NFL rookie records in most in single game yardage of 405 against minnisota, first rookie QB to throw 2 TD's in the first quarter of his first 2 NFL starts. 4 of his lat 6 rookie starts had a 100+ QB rating, over 2500 yards in 11 games projecting to well over 4000 yards in a 16 game season. 200 yard plus games were to many to remember as a rookie.
Matt was an is not a bum or a bust QB!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Bunch of them, guess cards main site got rid of the archives that included note cards on each player. i know he had multiple text games, completions, cards and NFL record that was later topped - I’ll see if I can find in my history, think I’m the only one that talked about them. It’s 15 years ago mnm folk tales mentions some.
For one he was the first rookie Cards’ QB to throw for over 400 yards in a Game.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This is a legitimate question, though there were numerous Murray issues before this game. I have long maintained they ruined Leinart.

Leinart wasn’t a grinder. He was never going to be anything more than mid-level QB at best. Teams were turned off when he chose a 5th year at USC over being the #1 pick.

THESMEL

Reaction score
Leinart wasn’t a grinder. He was never going to be anything more than mid-level QB at best. Teams were turned off when he chose a 5th year at USC over being the #1 pick.
I agree, kept getting hurt, came in for Texans threw 10 completions in a row, out with shoulder again.

I don’t know, looking through my own archived posts because the information is no longer on the cards site or the internet Gabe me kind of a woozy feeling.
I was itching about whiz running 30% of the time, and edge had 1200 yards! Haha

don’t know if my old self embarrasses my new self, or the other way around.

but yes, same problem, 15th season, qb hasn’t got a chance play calling one dimensional in the NFL. Kyler can be one of the greatest ever, if he ain’t ruined yet, and cards establish the run to open the playbook. Kingsbury ain’t doing it, Keim ain’t making him. All I can do is whine.

THESMEL

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This was the red and white scrimmage in flagstaff, when leinart threw a TD, whiz took it back, belittled leinart repeatedly in front of team and fans, then said he did it to see how leinart responds to adversity. quote the opposite of Denny defending him tooth and nail, and getting the best out of him. I was there for both.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say he was ruined in AZ as he didn’t flourish when given opportunities with the Raiders and Texans. I will say that Whisenhunt didn’t exactly care for him tho

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say he was ruined in AZ as he didn’t flourish when given opportunities with the Raiders and Texans. I will say that Whisenhunt didn’t exactly care for him tho

Leinart had a noodle-arm
I don't think he ever came back the same after his collarbone injury.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For good reason

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave