Kyler Murray in 5 Years

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by TJ, May 22, 2019.

Where will Kyler Rank in 5 Years?

1. Top-5 All-Pro Caliber QB

29.5%
  2. Top-10 With one or two Pro Bowls

42.9%
  3. Top-20 Average Starting QB

7.6%
  4. Journeyman Backup

6.7%
  5. Mega Bust - Out of the League

13.3%
  1. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

For someone who's quick to demand links from others, you're pretty stingy providing your own. Outside of PFF and the Ringer, who are these people?

2. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I posted it above. Not every player gets the chance to be picked #1 overall and start from day 1, not even Tom Brady. So...

3. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

WOW that's a "huge" list.

Now add Russell Wilson and Drew Brees to that list. You have three successful 6'0 and below QBs (including Vick"). That's a 33% success rate, and that's considering most of those guys were really untalented scrubs, that were untalented regardless of their height.

And only four of those guys were picked in the first three rounds.

CardsSunsDbacks likes this.
  4. Krangthebrain

Most NFL QB starters weren't late round picks.

5. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I said I could go further. You haven't even provided one outside of "muh russ" and "muh drew" to show a trend. Two ridiculously outside outliers.

And untalented? The list includes two Heisman Trophy winners, two players who set the record for NCAA passing yards in their respective generations, two players who were runner-ups for the Heisman and were 1st round picks... The only one on that list who you might call untalented is Seneca Wallace.

Just because you call them "untalented scrubs" doesn't mean that most of the guys on that list don't hold the kinds of prestige in college football that proves they're among the best college football players of all time. Which as of right now, is all your boy Kyler can lay claim to.

Edit:
    And now the burden of proof is on your shoulders: please, name some players who were really great, but short, and "just didn't get a chance."

You haven't even provided a single example.

6. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

No matter what list you create you will find that a small percentage actually succeed at the NFL level. All successful QBs in the NFL are outliers in some way or another.

Sure you could make the list longer for those short guys that failed, but you can also make a much longer list for short QBs that were successful.

Here is a link to a list of 10 short QBs that had some NFL success and I would say at least 5-7 of them were good NFL QBs.

https://nationalfootballpost.com/the-nfls-best-short-quarterbacks-of-alltime/

7. Ronin

Ronin Registered

I am buying low, so I am saying top 20 average. It seems feasible.

dscher likes this.
  8. Garthshort

Garthshort Registered User

Any FB stuff is good, imo. However, I'm more interested in five months than five years.

fartblossom likes this.
  9. Krangthebrain

It's not worth it. His logic is so completely flawed that he isn't capable of seeing how bad his argument is.

Height has been, and will continue to be, the worst trait to compare QBs. Look at arm strength, accuracy, mobility, ability to read a defense, and ability to complete passes under pressure. NOT HEIGHT. That's how big stiff, ****** college QBs keep getting drafted high. Murray showed up to OTAs weighing 211, so there goes that too frail argument as well.

Take Haskins for example. He threw a lot of short passes, his accuracy struggled a bit with deep passes, and he fell apart under pressure. But because he's closer to the NFL desired measureables, no one is arguing whether he should be a top pick. Murray was literally better at every other facet of QB play other than height.

CardsSunsDbacks likes this.
  10. Krangthebrain

11. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Your entire first list is full of guys who weren’t good players at the position in college. They ran option offenses or whatever, but they weren’t good. If they could sling it and be accurate, they would have been considered at QB. All of the guys in my list, almost defending your point, were shorter guys who experienced overwhelming success.

Your second article has valid points, but even still, these guys round into players who were given a chance, but maybe not drafted as high as they’d like. That still means they got a chance to come in and compete. Like, Russell Wilson came in and worked his ass off to prove he was an outlier. And most of them are still 6’0+. Kyler’s 5’10, the shortest of anyone in our conversations.

He’s not only an outlier, he’s an outlier of the outliers if he succeeds, unless you think there’s really a flood of sub-6’0 QBs that are just not getting their chance and are going to take over football on all levels once they stop being oppressed.

12. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

As far as I know, this is the first anyone’s requested of me to provide links, so I’m not sure how that’s “stingy.”

When I have some time this evening I’ll look them up. But even just earlier this week I recall reading an ESPN article with coaches and general managers where they were naming the cardinals as one of something like 6 teams having the most intriguing offseason.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  13. Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior Dangerous Murray Zealot

Exactly CardsSunDbacks.

Being a good QB in the NFL is really, really hard to do.

@Solar7, you think you're really winning this one don't you bro?

Here's game, set and match.

There's one 5' 10", 205 pound QB already in the league, and he already has a SB ring. Kyler Murray's game is patterned after Wilson's game, almost exactly.

That is indisputable proof that KM might be successful. So please, please, please sir. Take your silly "a QB has to be 6' 2" to have a realistic chance to be successful" arguments far far away from here.

It is getting really tedious and boring.

14. Ronin

Ronin Registered

Jeff Garcia’s playing weight was 195. I’m not saying I’m just saying....:)

Krangthebrain likes this.
  15. Delmar M Lewis

Delmar M Lewis Registered

Didn't say they they were anything alike about the only thing in common was they had was both number 1 draft picks overall and if and its a mighty big IF Murray bust it could be as bad as Russell was for the Raiders