Kyler Murray in 5 Years

Where will Kyler Rank in 5 Years?

• Total voters

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Your entire first list is full of guys who weren’t good players at the position in college. They ran option offenses or whatever, but they weren’t good. If they could sling it and be accurate, they would have been considered at QB. All of the guys in my list, almost defending your point, were shorter guys who experienced overwhelming success.

Your second article has valid points, but even still, these guys round into players who were given a chance, but maybe not drafted as high as they’d like. That still means they got a chance to come in and compete. Like, Russell Wilson came in and worked his ass off to prove he was an outlier. And most of them are still 6’0+. Kyler’s 5’10, the shortest of anyone in our conversations.

He’s not only an outlier, he’s an outlier of the outliers if he succeeds, unless you think there’s really a flood of sub-6’0 QBs that are just not getting their chance and are going to take over football on all levels once they stop being oppressed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For someone who's quick to demand links from others, you're pretty stingy providing your own. Outside of PFF and the Ringer, who are these people?
As far as I know, this is the first anyone’s requested of me to provide links, so I’m not sure how that’s “stingy.”

When I have some time this evening I’ll look them up. But even just earlier this week I recall reading an ESPN article with coaches and general managers where they were naming the cardinals as one of something like 6 teams having the most intriguing offseason.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
No matter what list you create you will find that a small percentage actually succeed at the NFL level. All successful QBs in the NFL are outliers in some way or another.

Sure you could make the list longer for those short guys that failed, but you can also make a much longer list for short QBs that were successful.

Here is a link to a list of 10 short QBs that had some NFL success and I would say at least 5-7 of them were good NFL QBs.

https://nationalfootballpost.com/the-nfls-best-short-quarterbacks-of-alltime/

Exactly CardsSunDbacks.

Being a good QB in the NFL is really, really hard to do.

@Solar7, you think you're really winning this one don't you bro?

Here's game, set and match.

There's one 5' 10", 205 pound QB already in the league, and he already has a SB ring. Kyler Murray's game is patterned after Wilson's game, almost exactly.

That is indisputable proof that KM might be successful. So please, please, please sir. Take your silly "a QB has to be 6' 2" to have a realistic chance to be successful" arguments far far away from here.

It is getting really tedious and boring.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Jamarcus Russell is NOTHING like Murray. Nothing. They are both black and that's it.

Russell's issue is that he was ghetto. He did drugs.
Didn't say they they were anything alike about the only thing in common was they had was both number 1 draft picks overall and if and its a mighty big IF Murray bust it could be as bad as Russell was for the Raiders

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Exactly CardsSunDbacks.

There's one 5' 10", 205 pound QB already in the league, and he already has a SB ring. Kyler Murray's game is patterned after Wilson's game, almost exactly.

That is indisputable proof that KM might be successful. So please, please, please sir. Take your silly "a QB has to be 6' 2" to have a realistic chance to be successful" arguments far far away from here.

Russell’s an inch taller. And was nowhere near the risk. It’s tedious to be told we’re going to be some amazing team because this kid is some kind of miracle that’s going to subvert all of the normal expectations.

Your answers are pretty much just constantly “measurable don’t matter.” I’m tired of it too.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Sort of OT:

University of Oklahoma gave false data to U.S. News college rankings for 20 years

For the 2019 Best Colleges rankings, the university originally said its two-year alumni giving rate was 14% but later informed U.S. News that the correct number is 9.7%, the magazine said.
The false data affected Oklahoma's placement in the national universities, best value schools, top public schools, best colleges for veterans and A-plus schools for B students rankings and lists, U.S. News said.

The rankings are based largely on data provided by the universities, such as graduation rates, class sizes and standardized test scores of students. Alumni giving rates make up 5% of the rankings formula because "giving measures student satisfaction and post-graduate engagement," U.S. News writes in its methodology.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
A follow up poll should be, who will be the Cards coach and GM in 5 years. I think all 3 will be out of the league.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
He'll be a pure stud & be ONE OF THE MOST exciting player in the NFL for years to come. It's truly a shame that we have such negative Nancy's on this board. He will serve up crow for so many of you that doubt him.
So what are you going to do when he fails to be "transcendent" and is just another QB who proves not worthy of the #1 pick?How is that crap sandwich going to taste?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So what are you going to do when he fails to be "transcendent" and is just another QB who proves not worthy of the #1 pick?How is that crap sandwich going to taste?

He'll be the most exciting QB in Cardinal history. So, you ask what I'll do? That's a silly question. I'll just sit back and enjoy it.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly CardsSunDbacks.

CW -so ONE QB has been successful in 50 years and hoping that it happens again is a sound plan.LMFAO.so quit trying to be board moniter .

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly CardsSunDbacks.

as tedious and boring as Solar's arguments have been, yours have been equally the same. making an "indisputable" argument based on ONE QB's success in the league and the exception to the rule doesn't give you "game, set and match". In fact, it only bolsters his argument that you can't name anyone else at Kyler's size who's been successful.

And please stop pretending like you're the grown up in the room when you're calling people bro and other crap like that.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

With your utter hatred of Murray, you really should consider rooting for another team next year. You'll be miserable if we win & I think you'll be miserable if we lose. I'm not so sure about the latter though?????????

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
as tedious and boring as Solar's arguments have been, yours have been equally the same. making an "indisputable" argument based on ONE QB's success in the league and the exception to the rule doesn't give you "game, set and match". In fact, it only bolsters his argument that you can't name anyone else at Kyler's size who's been successful.

And please stop pretending like you're the grown up in the room when you're calling people bro and other crap like that.

I'm not sure why it matters if there were other successful "short" QB's in the NFL. What matters is that there's never been another "short" QB that has the overall skillset that Murray possesses. I guess Wilson is the closest in that regard, but I truly think that Murray is more talented than Russell is. Time will tell. Can't wait to watch the kid.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody that is worried about Murray, do yourself a favor. Find yourself some highlights of Patrick Mahomes from last year. His movement and escapability produced huge plays. The plays he made with his feet had nothing to do with his height. He could have been 4’ tall and would have been able to make many of the plays he made. Murray may be 3 inches shorter than Mahomes but he is quicker than Mahomes and just as accurate.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Well, you’ve made many tedious and boring arguments in the past too.

Murray’s size is a concern. To say it’s not is burying your head in the sand.

Name me one QB under 6’0 that’s been drafted in the 1st round much less #1 overall.

Does that automatically make him a failure, no. But it’s a very legitimate concern.
People can’t name a Qb of Murray’s size that’s been successful because there hasn’t been one.

He may turn out great but history is against him and the Cards are betting the house on him. Sometimes people hit their inside straight or runner runner flush draw.
I’m hoping the Cards do but odds and history say they won’t.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
With your utter hatred of Murray, you really should consider rooting for another team next year. You'll be miserable if we win & I think you'll be miserable if we lose. I'm not so sure about the latter though?????????

LMAO.I`ll be rooting for the Cards just as I have for over 50 years.I don`t have to like the player.....just the team.So you should consider stopping with fandom advice.Because you are a cheerleader for Murray doesn`t mean everyone has to be.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Sub 6'0 guys don't get a chance. Such a ridiculous argument. How can a player not succeed if they are never given a chance??

You keep making this claim but back it up with nothing. How many sub-6'0 QBs that were given a chance have failed over the past 40 years? The number would be really small.
Fran Tarkenton took the Vikings to 4 Super Bowls and please correct me if I'm wrong he was like 5'11" or so,so it definitely is not unheard for sub 6 footers to succeed unlikely yes impossible Hell No

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Russell’s an inch taller. And was nowhere near the risk. It’s tedious to be told we’re going to be some amazing team because this kid is some kind of miracle that’s going to subvert all of the normal expectations.

Your answers are pretty much just constantly “measurable don’t matter.” I’m tired of it too.
What measurable other than height and single year are you talking about? Bc it seems you’re ignoring all measirables but those two.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Fran Tarkenton took the Vikings to 4 Super Bowls and please correct me if I'm wrong he was like 5'11" or so,so it definitely is not unheard for sub 6 footers to succeed unlikely yes impossible Hell No

for every Russell Wilson there are numerous Bob Berry,Pat Haden,Seneca Wallace,Doug Flutie,Eddie LeBaron guys.They won a some games but how many where the TOP pick of the entire draft?Eddie LeBaron play 10 years in the NFl and never was on a winning team,Berry made a Pro-Bowl as did Pat Haden..neither one was the #1 pick.Hoping for the exception is betting on a inside straight.Like many have said..playing QB is hard enough no matter how big or tall you are.Acting like winning the Heisman trophy is a omen for success is proven to be nonsensical thinking also.Add in a rookie HC,a gimmicky offense,a questionable OLINE..?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dude, I completely get he's all we've got and I just have to live with it. I'll still be rooting for my team. But just because of that, I'm not going to suddenly pretend he's something I don't think he is. He has other knocks besides being short, but you can see my posts in a million other threads.

Like, I'm a huge comic book fan, but when I saw the production issues with Justice League, and saw the trailers, I thought "gee, this is going to be really bad." And when it was bad, I didn't just start calling it good because it was the only Justice League movie I was going to ever get.
I understand. I'm ready for the season to start, hopefully we will be laughing at all the media that says we will suck basically.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

No he isnt. Hes half an inch.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well, you’ve made many tedious and boring arguments in the past too.

Murray’s size is a concern. To say it’s not is burying your head in the sand.

Name me one QB under 6’0 that’s been drafted in the 1st round much less #1 overall.

Does that automatically make him a failure, no. But it’s a very legitimate concern.
People can’t name a Qb of Murray’s size that’s been successful because there hasn’t been one.

He may turn out great but history is against him and the Cards are betting the house on him. Sometimes people hit their inside straight or runner runner flush draw.
I’m hoping the Cards do but odds and history say they won’t.

History is a stupid reason not to do something.

History is broken all of the time.