Kyler Murray Contract Extended

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only positive I can get out of this is that Kyler, at his peak, has played like a top 3 despite not watching film & getting by on -vibes-.

Hopefully, he takes full advantage & realize his true potential & play like it the whole season.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Maybe the key component isn't the 4 hours of film study, rather it's the language about nothing being on in the background, gaming, etc. A lot of kids today, mine included, try to focus on several things at one time. My daughter is an honors high school student, who will have Netflix playing on her phone, with YouTube videos playing on her laptop, while she's doing homework. She gets mostly all A's, but if she were to focus more, she'd be in the running for Valedictorian. The Cards are just trying to hone KMs focus.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only positive I can get out of this is that Kyler, at his peak, has played like a top 3 despite not watching film & getting by on -vibes-.

Hopefully, he takes full advantage & realize his true potential & play like it the whole season.

This is my exact thought. He is going to be super scrutinized this year and as the competitor he is reported to be, he should embrace it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

98.7 had Mike Sando on -- it will be available on their site to listen by the end of the day or so.

He had a great take (IMO) on this all (my paraphrase of what he said):

Kyler is a guy who had success at every level with that approach. He gets to the NFL and has a lot of success, and he is still a tier 2 QB by just winging it. So now can he do the work to be a tier 1 guy?

the contract addendum just addresses the elephant in the room, and puts the onus on Kyler.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No, just that mini camps, especially for vets with and the same coaching staff and largely a waste of time.

Imagine your on sabbatical in Europe for 6 months and your boss calls you after 4 and asks you to fly back to do some petty crap for a couple of days then fly all the way back to Europe. I imagine that's how it feels for players, many of whom live somewhere else in the off season, to have to drag their ass back to Glendale for a few days of workouts, some media interviews full of platitudes and basic scheme stuff they already know.

It would be better for everyone if they just got rid of them and made camp longer.
Except you’re not just getting “called back.” You know when the camps are. You can schedule around them. And I know it’s an incredible burden for these guys to take a few days and come into the office during the months they have off . . . every single year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

LOL.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's nothing like this example. The offseason schedule is essentially set for these guys when they leave the facility at the end of the season. They know more or less when they're going to have to be back. It's not a surprise.

Saying it's inappropriate and stupid that these guys only have six straight months off instead of seven is a wild take to get fired up about. It's SUCH an inconvenience for Rodney Hudson to make the 30 minute flight (if he's flying commercial which he's probably not) from LA or Vegas to -- you know -- do a part of his job.

Longer camp isn't the solution, either. Sports science has made it super-clear that you need to ramp up to full work. Mandatory minicamps are a chance for the team to help their guys get or stay on track so their bodies are ready come training camp.

The "this is actually no big deal even though the national media without exception is saying this is totally unique and embarrassing" take remains hilarious. That Michael Bidwill thought that Kyler wasn't doing enough offsite work in the playbook and so slipped an embarrassingly short addendum into his contract is sad. That all Kyler's teammates had to answer questions about it while he hides behind his mom's apron is even sadder.

Do you honestly think any quarterback of quality has to be held to a four hour per week standard of study?
Not saying it isn’t a big deal. I think any QB that wants to be great should be studying film on their own time. That being said he is doing film study at some level, just not on his own time to the extent that the team wants. The plus of having this in the contract is that it may be forced at first, but maybe he will develop a habit of actually wanting to do it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's nothing like this example. The offseason schedule is essentially set for these guys when they leave the facility at the end of the season. They know more or less when they're going to have to be back. It's not a surprise.

Saying it's inappropriate and stupid that these guys only have six straight months off instead of seven is a wild take to get fired up about. It's SUCH an inconvenience for Rodney Hudson to make the 30 minute flight (if he's flying commercial which he's probably not) from LA or Vegas to -- you know -- do a part of his job.

Longer camp isn't the solution, either. Sports science has made it super-clear that you need to ramp up to full work. Mandatory minicamps are a chance for the team to help their guys get or stay on track so their bodies are ready come training camp.

The "this is actually no big deal even though the national media without exception is saying this is totally unique and embarrassing" take remains hilarious. That Michael Bidwill thought that Kyler wasn't doing enough offsite work in the playbook and so slipped an embarrassingly short addendum into his contract is sad. That all Kyler's teammates had to answer questions about it while he hides behind his mom's apron is even sadder.

Do you honestly think any quarterback of quality has to be held to a four hour per week standard of study?

Sure it's not a surprise, change it to "Going on 6 month sabbatical to Europe but you boss wants you to fly back for 2 meetings". It's still a PITA. I don't see any ramping up. It's 6 weeks since the last mini camp.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
98.7 had Mike Sando on -- it will be available on their site to listen by the end of the day or so.

He had a great take (IMO) on this all (my paraphrase of what he said):

Kyler is a guy who had success at every level with that approach. He gets to the NFL and has a lot of success, and he is still a tier 2 QB by just winging it. So now can he do the work to be a tier 1 guy?

the contract addendum just addresses the elephant in the room, and puts the onus on Kyler.

Correct. He can go from star to generational with the right amount of effort.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Sure it's not a surprise, change it to "Going on 6 month sabbatical to Europe but you boss wants you to fly back for 2 meetings". It's still a PITA. I don't see any ramping up. It's 6 weeks since the last mini camp.
Wah. You're getting the bank, you can suck it up.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Do you mean the voluntary OTAs that they REALLY don't have to go back for? C'mon, man.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but lets be honest, most people won't change their ways significantly if they are still having success.

Oh I don't agree with this at all. People change pretty dramatically in their 20s and 30s. It's not until your 40s that you get pretty set in your ways.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but lets be honest, most people won't change their ways significantly if they are still having success.
How much success has a QB had when they’ve never won a big game in their college or pro career?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How much success has a QB had when they’ve never won a big game in their college or pro career?
I think that's the real question about Kyler, and the most disturbing aspect of the reports that he's a "finger-pointer." He's had plenty of individual and statistical success, and people around him have been happy to make excuses for why the postseason success hasn't materialized yet.

In some ways Kyler has to understand that his individual plaudits and accomplishments need to be subordinate to the needs of the team.

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I know it's fun to dunk on Kyler these days; but does winning the Big 12 championship game against your rivals (Texas), who are top 10 in the country, to make the CFB Playoffs, not count as a big game these days?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's fun to dunk on Kyler these days; but does winning the Big 12 championship game against your rivals (Texas), who are top 10 in the country, to make the CFB Playoffs, not count as a big game these days?
Winning a big 12 title just doesn’t mean all that much. That conference has been a no defense scoring fest joke for a long time.

And if that’s your only sign of success, it’s still next to nothing. Especially when it’s followed up by totally crapping the bed with a disastrous 1st quarter that all but ended his only playoff appearance against an actual College Football Power.

Even if you include that Big 12 title game, Kyler is still looking at a 1-8 record with a chance to advance in or to go to the playoffs in college and pro. 1-9 if you add the chance to win a division too.

That’s not success to me.

Last edited:
Reaction score

According to sources, multiple people in the organization tried to dissuade owner Michael Bidwill from putting the clause in the contract, but he was insistent. General Manager Steve Keim and coach Kliff Kingsbury did not push for the clause, but Bidwill ended up getting his way.

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Winning a big 12 title just doesn’t mean all that much. That conference has been a no defense scoring fest joke for a long time.

And if that’s your only sign of success, it’s still next to nothing. Especially when it’s followed up by totally crapping the bed with a disastrous 1st quarter that all but ended his only playoff appearance against an actual College Football Power.

Even if you include that Big 12 title game, Kyler is still looking at a 1-8 record with a chance to advance in or to go to the playoffs in college and pro. 1-9 if you add the chance to win a division too.

That’s not success to me.
I never said Kyler has had great success in close-out games, so I don't know how that's applicable.

Was just refuting your point that he never won a big game in college. Which, I suppose, we're still on opposite sides of the fence about.

But, as I mentioned in my previous post, dunking on Kyler is all the rage. As seen in your scathing reply to me simply saying he won the BIG 12 Title Game against his rivals.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the bottom line and I think I can speak for most of us.

I don’t care how much video games Kyler plays, how much film he watches, how much he works out or what he eats. If he lives up to the contract he just signed all will be fine.

However, his performance to this point , although at times it’s been spectacular, certainly doesn’t equate to what the Cardinals are paying him. He is not at the same level as Rodgers or Mahommes. If he turns out to be Kirk Cousins level, he’s overpaid.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I don't agree with this at all. People change pretty dramatically in their 20s and 30s. It's not until your 40s that you get pretty set in your ways.
True but some never change…. Some are still just as lazy in their profession in their 40s as they were in their 20s.

While yours and @Ouchie-Z-Clown have great stories and have hope for Kyler. There is 0 guarantee the light will come on and he will work even harder at his craft. One could even say after being payed like that it could go the other direction.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the bottom line and I think I can speak for most of us.

I don’t care how much video games Kyler plays, how much film he watches, how much he works out or what he eats. If he lives up to the contract he just signed all will be fine.

However, his performance to this point , although at times it’s been spectacular, certainly doesn’t equate to what the Cardinals are paying him. He is not at the same level as Rodgers or Mahommes. If he turns out to be Kirk Cousins level, he’s overpaid.
Yes but he’s def more likely to attain the results wanted if he does less VG and more football studying.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is just getting a bit weird for me now. Ertz came out and defended Kyler and said he knows the playbook better than anybody else on the team. I don't doubt that's true but to me knowing the playbook and watching film is NOT the same thing?

To me watching film is that stuff Kurt Warner did that he'd show tape and say if you look at where the safety is this a such and such coverage so you want to look for the TE in the flat. Now kurt had the advantage of having seen the outcome of the play already so he knew but that's where you want your QB to get to. They walk up to the LOS look at the defense and they know who's going to be open.

Remember the play early last year where Kyler said later on Hudson tipped him off that the Titans were going to cover zero blitz so Kyler changed the play and hit D Hop for a TD? That's the kind of stuff you want your QB to eventually see himself and I don't think you get there from knowing the plays you get there from watching film of the defenses you will face.

So I think it's odd ertz is saying that unless he just thinks Kyler is being needlessly dumped on?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is just getting a bit weird for me now. Ertz came out and defended Kyler and said he knows the playbook better than anybody else on the team. I don't doubt that's true but to me knowing the playbook and watching film is NOT the same thing?

To me watching film is that stuff Kurt Warner did that he'd show tape and say if you look at where the safety is this a such and such coverage so you want to look for the TE in the flat. Now kurt had the advantage of having seen the outcome of the play already so he knew but that's where you want your QB to get to. They walk up to the LOS look at the defense and they know who's going to be open.

Remember the play early last year where Kyler said later on Hudson tipped him off that the Titans were going to cover zero blitz so Kyler changed the play and hit D Hop for a TD? That's the kind of stuff you want your QB to eventually see himself and I don't think you get there from knowing the plays you get there from watching film of the defenses you will face.

So I think it's odd ertz is saying that unless he just thinks Kyler is being needlessly dumped on?
Yes its odd considering it’s completely different then what film study is all about. He’s iust trying to defend his boy. Admirable. But came off as dumb.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose