Kyler and "Reading defenses"

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
And for the record, the talking head which is Chris Simms was abysmal at all of this when he attempted to be a pro :)

Like I said it's easier from the booth or watching a replay. You've had time to digest or your vision is much better from up top. If it was easy anybody could do it. You must be a hard working, film studying, smart individual to process all that info in a split second.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have to have a foundation somewhere, and I have little doubt that the philosophical foundation of this offense is air raid concepts. My understanding is that the offense has a read progression that changes based on the defensive look. If the defense is showing one safety high, you go X-receiver, Slot, RB, TE. If the defense shows two-deep, you go Slot, Y-receiver, TE, RB.

Other offensive philosophies have QBs read high-low (this is what Steve Spurrier's innovation was). It's not that hard to design an offense that should work in any scenario structurally; it's much harder to execute the design against the best athletes in the world.

If this is what we are doing then the whole "Kyler is still learning to read defenses" argument goes out the window.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think its one of those things where in real time its very very fast and there are 300 pounds dudes in your face trying to kill you. In film study you can see what you should do, but on the field its not that easy.

Its not easy but that's what makes the difference between good QBs and bad QBs

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You can make this same thread for every qb in the nfl.

Aaron rodgers and Tom brady still miss reads too:shrug:

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can make this same thread for every qb in the nfl.

Aaron rodgers and Tom brady still miss reads too:shrug:

This isn't a "He missed these reads" thread.

This is just a small example from a massive catalog in recent games. It's endemic.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If this is what we are doing then the whole "Kyler is still learning to read defenses" argument goes out the window.

There remain whispers coming out of Hardy Drive that Kyler isn’t doing the mental work in the classroom and the film room that it takes to be great.

Much more fun to stay in the weight room.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This isn't a "He missed these reads" thread.

This is just a small example from a massive catalog in recent games. It's endemic.

Im not seeing it :shrug:

I dont expect an offense that lines their best player to one position on the field 71 percent of the time to have a lot of "easy reads"

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
There remain whispers coming out of Hardy Drive that Kyler isn’t doing the mental work in the classroom and the film room that it takes to be great.

Much more fun to stay in the weight room.
I have not heard that, but that has been my concern. The kid has to want to be great. If what you stated is true he's not going to be a great leader of men. They will just brush him aside.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have not heard that, but that has been my concern. The kid has to want to be great. If what you stated is true he's not going to be a great leader of men. They will just brush him aside.

I wonder if this and the "Kyler doesn't listen to Fitz" rumor are the same thing.

Seems to me if the above whisper about not doing the mental work is true that Fitz would be the first one to tell him.