Kurt Warner on Kliff and Kyler

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By saying a professional may know more than a fan? Yeah, okay.

There were some embarrassing performances by kk offense in the end of the season and I highly doubt his takes would have been the same if he had watched the full games instead of highlights
Warner should even know a common characteristics from kk teams, the inability to finish a season positively, and his playcalling on clutch moments confirmed it, therefore we as a fans can't be so optimistic right now

Answering to your last sentence
In some case it's more valid an opinion from an amateur, keen observer of the subject then the opinion from a disinterested professional

Last edited:

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think Kurt didn't watch the Cardinals whole season and how the the season started and how the offense regressed during the year
His comments is based on final stats so Ithats why he sees the glass half full, but there are concerns

Idk, I think he watches because he was more critical especially of Kyler earlier in the season critizing the over use of legs

But now I see him referencing more of Kliff needing to get better from a playcalling scheme approach and wr need to win their 1 on 1s

Also, the Cardinals organization is sensitive. They dont like criticism so it wouldnt surprise me if they subtly asked Kurt to be nice so they can play up hype for season ticket sales.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
TBF I’m fairly confident that virtually every poster on this board has watched more cardinal games over the past two years than has Kurt.
TBF, Im pretty sure Kurt has more conversations with players, coaches and FO people in the Cards organization than anyone on this board. He has the ability to form an opinion that goes far beyond watching games on tv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
TBF, Im pretty sure Kurt has more conversations with players, coaches and FO people in the Cards organization than anyone on this board. He has the ability to form an opinion that goes far beyond watching games on tv.

That's great, but irrelevant. I love KW to death and respect him quite a bit, but that doesn't make him right about KK.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That's great, but irrelevant. I love KW to death and respect him quite a bit, but that doesn't make him right about KK.
I think it can make him right about the learning curve for young QBs and young coaches. He can be right about the requisite amount of patience that people should have for offenses to gel and mesh.

We are all very impatient. We just are. Because we are fans, we are conditioned to take small bits of info and extrapolate conclusions from that. We all wanted more from this year. But, if we flipped how our season went and started bad and ended great, we would have different feelings.

Next year will be a prove it year for this organization. We all know that. We can all have our hopes or doubts about what will ultimately happen, but Bidwill is taking a more patient approach and Kurt is saying that it may not be a terrible thing to do so.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Doesn’t make him wrong either. I was just stating he has access that none of us do. I’m sure he’s having conversations with Fitz and others during the season and those opinions probably aren’t whitewashed. I think if Kurt had a negative opinion, he’d say so with decorum. He’s expressed good and bad in the past.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you think there was growth or progress from year 1 to year 2? Frankly, I thought the offense looked much better at the end of year one than the end of year two.

This is a good point. You could argue that the offense was in ascension after week 5-6 of last year. That continued up to week 7 this year with the addition of Hopkins and then dropped back down again.

If you take away Kylers legs which we didn't use in year 1, and Nuk, is this year any better, or even worse than last year?

In other words, is there growth? Or did we just add a top 3 WR and start running Kyler?

Lets look at our points after week 4 of last year, thats when Kyler looked better.

26 vs Bengals
34 vs Falcons
27 vs Giants
9 vs Saints
25 vs 49ers
27 vs Bucs
26 vs Niners
7 vs Rams
17 vs Steelers
38 vs Browns
27 vs Seahawks
24 vs Rams

It doesn't really look any different to this years scores. We averaged 25.6 points per game in 2020. Good enough for 13th.

You take away Kyler's 4 rookie games and 2019 was 23.9 points per game which would put us 12th.

So we got 1.7 points more per game which is the least I would expect from adding Hopkins and 300 more rushing yards from Kyler.

So has Kliff improved this year? Looks to me that the offense has largely been the same as last year whereas the extra wins have come from a vastly improved defense.

Last edited:

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Next year will be a prove it year for this organization. We all know that. We can all have our hopes or doubts about what will ultimately happen, but Bidwill is taking a more patient approach and Kurt is saying that it may not be a terrible thing to do so.

How many times we read/heard this?
At the end of the day we are talking about the oldest winless franchise in the nfl

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Interesting I thought it was a fluff piece. There really weren’t many specifics. Kirt just seemed like he was repeating the same things with different words. And while he acknowledged shortfalls he didn’t give them much weight. To be honest it read like a guy who is supposed to be knowledgeable about the game but didn’t actually know a lot about the team he was addressing.

Exactly. Reads like when you ask any football guy what they think of the Cardinals season and they pump out a bunch of cliches based on 8-8 being better than 5-10-1 because they haven't actually watched many of our games.

Reaction score
This is a good point. You could argue that the offense was in ascension after week 5-6 of last year. That continued up to week 7 this year with the addition of Hopkins and then dropped back down again.

If you take away Kylers legs which we didn't use in year 1, and Nuk, is this year any better, or even worse than last year?

In other words, is there growth? Or did we just add a top 3 WR and start running Kyler?

Lets look at our points after week 4 of last year, thats when Kyler looked better.

26 vs Bengals
34 vs Falcons
27 vs Giants
9 vs Saints
25 vs 49ers
27 vs Bucs
26 vs Niners
7 vs Rams
17 vs Steelers
38 vs Browns
27 vs Seahawks
24 vs Rams

It doesn't really look any different to this years scores. We averaged 25.6 points per game in 2020. Good enough for 13th.

You take away Kyler's 4 rookie games and 2019 was 23.9 points per game which would put us 12th.

So we got 1.7 points more per game which is the least I would expect from adding Hopkins and 300 more rushing yards from Kyler.

So has Kliff improved this year? Looks to me that the offense has largely been the same as last year whereas the extra wins have come from a vastly improved defense.
I echo your thoughts brother

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question wasnt who? But why?

If you read the article you would know that. Palmer is a highly respected QB coach that many credit with the development of Josh Allen. If you believe Kyler can improve and needs coaching, it makes sense to seek a QB coach, other than his dad, and given our connections to Carson Palmer it may make sense to see if his brother can help.

Most everyone agrees the problem Allen had was not his arm, it was his footwork. Most of us would agree some of Kylers issues are clearly footwork, throwing off his back foot, not stepping up etc. Palmer won't help him with running but he could help him throw on the run, or learn to move, reset and then throw.

I'm not saying he's the only good QB coach out there but it certainly makes sense to consider him. There are others, I think Steve Clarkson still does it, he tutored Hundley in HS and college and used to work with NFL QB's too. He played at SJSU I saw him play in college, he's been heralded for years. he's one of the QB coaches who told Logan Thomas you're not a QB you're a TE.

Reaction score
If you read the article you would know that. Palmer is a highly respected QB coach that many credit with the development of Josh Allen. If you believe Kyler can improve and needs coaching, it makes sense to seek a QB coach, other than his dad, and given our connections to Carson Palmer it may make sense to see if his brother can help.

Most everyone agrees the problem Allen had was not his arm, it was his footwork. Most of us would agree some of Kylers issues are clearly footwork, throwing off his back foot, not stepping up etc. Palmer won't help him with running but he could help him throw on the run, or learn to move, reset and then throw.

I'm not saying he's the only good QB coach out there but it certainly makes sense to consider him. There are others, I think Steve Clarkson still does it, he tutored Hundley in HS and college and used to work with NFL QB's too. He played at SJSU I saw him play in college, he's been heralded for years. he's one of the QB coaches who told Logan Thomas you're not a QB you're a TE.
I agree as well
I only know jordan palmer is carsons brother..but i didnt read the article and dont know how talented he is

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose