Kolb

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
First to the point;

I'm concerned about Kolb's desire to play. He seems like a politician to me when he talks about if he will play or not.

OK now let me be clear about this. I understand that he has a concussion and that concussions are very dangerous and can result in long term brain damage and the league is focused on preventing that from happening. And no, I have never had a concussion as far as I know, though I'm certain I have some amount of brain damage from college alone, but no I cant say; "I had a concussion back in '85 and I just kept on playin like nuthin was wrong and I is jsut fiyne!"

But as I listen to Kolb talk, both during his foot injury and now his concussion. It's like he's a poster child for the NFLPA or something. He keeps saying "We're not going to rush it." and "I'm still not there yet." and "It’s a touchy subject” and “We want to make sure we err on the right side.”

He seems more concerned with pleasing the union reps and saying all the right things instead of being focused on getting back. Or even having any kind of urgency to get back atleast. I mean on Sunday he was saying that it was all just precautionary and he felt ok but "not quite right." and now he's sitting out.

Yet we have the Browns QB on the other side who not only is going to play, but also finished last weeks game after suffering a concussion. Now, there are two extremes at play here I know, but there has to be a middle ground.

And yes, I know Kurt did the same thing in '09 where he sat out against the Titans and became an advocate for concussions, but Kurt was at the end of his career and had accomplished pretty much everything a QB can. I get a guy like that wanting to play it safe and Kurt was NOT worried about Matty taking his job at that point, so it made sense.

Kolb on the other hand is a guy who has already lost his starting job once because of injury and just doesn't seem very eager to prevent that from happening again. You would think he would be paranoid as heck and doing everything he can do to get the Dr's to let him back out there. His job is in serious jeopardy here...

I mean, Skelton wasn't GREAT, but he was pretty good in the 2nd half and you would think that the fact that his backup just keeps winning, that Kolb would be in a bit of a panic and would be lying, dying, crying, or atleast trying to get back in the lineup. Yet, somehow he seems content with sitting out and being a poster child for player safety procedures regardless of his future as our QB.

So I guess my question is; Does Kolb strike you as a guy who really, really wants to be an NFL franchise QB?

Trust me, it's not a loaded question. I have actually spent more time defending Kolb this season then attacking him. My dad is a huge Skelton fan and was done with Kolb after week 3 and so I keep trying to help him be objective because not everything that happened when we were 1-6 was Kolbs fault, but I'm starting to wonder. I haven't participated in any of the Kolb vs. Skelon threads because I dont care who our QB is, I just want this team to keep winning but Kolb isn't impressing me at all with his "Desire to play" at this point.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your crazy. I would be same as him! Health comes first above anything else. End of story!

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think your crazy. I would be same as him! Health comes first above anything else. End of story!
Yes but you always think I'm crazy. You dont count!

Seriously though if that's what you think that's fine. That's why I'm asking the question to see if anyone else feels the same way. It's not like I've never been wrong before. :)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
In all honesty, you're off on this one. You have to question yourself; if your job involved a risk of serious, long term brain damage, would you tough it out knowing that you might not be around to see your family, or even be coherent enough to see them go through life?

Regardless of the contract we gave Kolb, he is in a situation where he could live comfortably the rest of his life if his career had to end today. He has to prioritize his health over an entertainment product. If we were discussing an issue different than the brain, I might agree with you. But when it comes down to it, I'd rather see the guy play it safe. Football isn't that important.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I respect your opinion but in your write up you explained a bunch of reasons why someone with a concussion shouldnt play. Your arguement is he "just doesnt seem like he wants to play". Im not really sure what he should be doing differently from what he is doing.

AzCardzFan

Veteran
Reaction score
I actually agree with you....sort of. I was about to create a thread on when we should attach the "injury prone" tag onto Kolb. His history in the NFL has shown he can't last as a starter for more that 2-3 games. What worries me the most is that he got knocked in the back of the head by someones knee and when looking back at it, it actually doesnt even look that bad, he jumped right back up and went to the sideline.... is it because he has had multiple concussions that even a semi-hard hit will send him out again?

I saw Skelton take much harder hits in the game and you have to question if Kolb takes that hit if he would've been concussed. I guess its all what ifs, but if your "franchise" QB has had multiple concussions without even starting a full season I imagine that is no bueno. I for one am concerned.

seesred

Reaction score
Nobody knows except for Kolb and his Docs. We don't feel his pain or desire to play. In this game players get knocked out by these big, huge, large guys running at you and sometimes your head is in the way. I'll give Kolb the benifit of the doubt. Players must protect gaainst long term health and playing 1 NFL game.

I wish him well and hope that he can fully recover. If he can't return there are other things in life besides playing football.

GBR

GBR

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I actually agree with you....sort of. I was about to create a thread on when we should attach the "injury prone" tag onto Kolb. His history in the NFL has shown he can't last as a starter for more that 2-3 games. What worries me the most is that he got knocked in the back of the head by someones knee and when looking back at it, it actually doesnt even look that bad, he jumped right back up and went to the sideline.... is it because he has had multiple concussions that even a semi-hard hit will send him out again?

I saw Skelton take much harder hits in the game and you have to question if Kolb takes that hit if he would've been concussed. I guess its all what ifs, but if your "franchise" QB has had multiple concussions without even starting a full season I imagine that is no bueno. I for one am concerned.

Quarterback Kevin Kolb's head slammed into the turf, his eyes closed for several seconds and he was slow to get up and walk to the sideline.

Linebacker Stewart Bradley flew headfirst into a teammate's leg. He was on all fours, struggled to get up on his own power, stumbled for a few steps and toppled to the ground.

:eek:

chickenhead

Reaction score
Honestly, desire and money are the only reasons he would be playing. I've never had a concussion that I know of, but if I'd had several--there's no way I'd put myself in a position where an NFL pass rusher could hit me.

Maybe a player has or will use caution about concussions as an excuse to stay off the field, but on the whole it's just not something I'm going to question.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nice tags to this post as well.. not a loaded question at all, huh?

The only guy who knows what is going on in Kolbs mind is Kolb. I have no clue. Before he was hurt I criticized him for running backwards to much. One might suggest that was out of fear but who really knows. Only Kolb. I would think any player who makes it through college football and then into the pros is not very fearful. I flew over a 100 combat missions over Laos and North Vietnam. You are right if you think I was scared or in fear but I signed up for the job and sure was not going to let fear keep me from doing my job. I would think most NFL players always have it in the back of their minds that they could end up in a wheelchair or worse. This does not show up when you are playing but perhaps sometimes when you are alone and just thinking. For me once the jets fired up I was lost in my job and the only thing was to get the job done. It is always the other guy that gets hurt never you.

OP
OP
Bert

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nice tags to this post as well.. not a loaded question at all, huh?

The tags were a joke, and I didn't even get them in the right order. As someone who labels themself a "smartass" I'd think you could appreciate the levity.

It wasn't a loaded question, if it was loaded I would be attacking everyone who disagrees with me, which I am not doing.

Honestly just like I said, after reading through the article last night and the way Kolb talked the whole time his toe was injured I couldn't help but think; "Does this guy even want to play?" My issue is not him sitting out, it's just that he seems to be ok with it.

But the guys are right, I dont know how hurt he is and I dont know how frustrated he is behind closed doors. I guess I would just like him to show a little more urgency or enthusiasm when he talks about getting out there. I guess to some people he's saying all the right things, but they didn't sit well with me, but I guess you cant please everyone.

Interesting note, after I wrote this up last night I watched the HBO doc "Rangers/Flyers 24/7" and the exact same thing happened to one of the Flyers star players, he got kneed in the back of the head by one of his teammates and they took him out of the game, evaluated him and now he's out "indefinitely."

So obviously it's not an issue of Kolb being tough, I mean who's tougher than hockey players? Like I said I would just like some sign that Kolbs actually not happy about being out.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Concussions are no joke. It's one thing to tough it out with a high ankle sprain, but another to play when your BRAIN has been injured. I think it is absolutely ridiculous to question someone's desire or toughness because they can't or won't play when they cannot focus, feel woozy, and lose some cognitive function due to sustained head trauma. In addition, when you have a concussion, it exponentially increases the chance for repeat injury. The "blue juice" just doesn't work in this circumstance.

There is a valid reason why the NFL is taking a hard stance against teams allowing players to play with concussion symptoms. Look at some examples from players who have tried to tough it out. Too many stars from the past are struggling with basic functioning today because of too many blows to the head. Dementia is running rampant with this population. This should serve as an example for football players to be smart when choosing to play through injury.

Moreover, the same thing happened to Warner in 2009. He sustained a concussion after banging his head on the turf in STL. He passed all neurological baseline tests during the week, and still elected not to play the following game because he wasn't feeling right. Are we going to question his desire to play because he made the wise decision for his own personal well-being?

Trust me, this is not an issue of desire, because I think Kolb has plenty of it. It is about safety, neurological health, and doing what's best for the team.

Last edited:

spanky1

Reaction score
On Charlotte's Sports Radio (WFNZ), Frank Garcia was talking about professional football players and injuries that now have some former players really hobbled....he mentioned Eric Dickerson and how he can barely get out of bed these days.

He went on to say that 99.9% of players, if asked, whether they regret becoming football players and would they do it again if they had a "do over", would say YES.

It's brutal sport for sure....but playing with a head injury, not fully healed, is really poor judgement. Kolb doesn't want to be on the sidelines, but it's imperative that he get "right". Unfortunately, I suspect that this will re-occur again down the road.....think Sid Crosby in hockey. He could be done!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
On Charlotte's Sports Radio (WFNZ), Frank Garcia was talking about professional football players and injuries that now have some former players really hobbled....he mentioned Eric Dickerson and how he can barely get out of bed these days.

He went on to say that 99.9% of players, if asked, whether they regret becoming football players and would they do it again if they had a "do over", would say YES.

It's brutal sport for sure....but playing with a head injury, not fully healed, is really poor judgement. Kolb doesn't want to be on the sidelines, but it's imperative that he get "right". Unfortunately, I suspect that this will re-occur again down the road.....think Sid Crosby in hockey. He could be done!

Agree 100%. Sad, because the kid has so much natural talent; yet, most likely will never demonstrate it ever again.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we have to be super-careful and very concerned.

We're only beginning to discover the damage concussions can cause (physically and psychologically) long after a player's football career has ended.

It took more than a year for my son's reflexes to get back to being close to where they were before he suffered a concussion from a skate board accident, and frankly - after 20 or more years since - I'm not convinced his reflexes ever came all the way back

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

A concussion is not that obvious it's quite common for people to have a concussion and not know it until it's diagnosed. It's also VERY common for people to have concussions and insist they're fine, it's like drunk people who insist they're not impaired to drive and can't believe everyone else thinks they are.

He took a knee to the back of the head, I didn't see Skelton take a knee to the head so you can't compare the hits.

Yes some people are more prone to concussions and once you've had a few you can be more prone to them in the future, I don't know Kolb's history of them but that could be the case with him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hmm the Dickerson thing must be pretty new because I saw him in Baja a few years ago on a fishing trip and he looked like he could still get 1000 yards, in great shape.

In fact after I pointed him out to my girlfriend and explained who he was, he showed just how injured he was. In that airport all the luggage comes into a very small area and you get a crush of people all trying to get their gear through an X ray machine. Dickerson got up on the luggage carousel and walked around all the people, over the luggage on the carousel, and grabbed his and then walked over all the luggage to get to the machine. I think I was the only one then who recognized him because people were actually mad at him for pushing through(when in reality they were blocking the X ray machine because they didn't have all their luggage yet so Eric did the smart thing).

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as one who had a career cut short by a job related injury, I completely understand why Kolb chooses to err on the side of safety. This is the only chance he will have to play professional football, and he is far too young to end his career because of a bad choice to come back early from a concussion.

OmeneX

\m/___\m/
Reaction score
Yes some people are more prone to concussions and once you've had a few you can be more prone to them in the future, I don't know Kolb's history of them but that could be the case with him.

This is true. Some people are more prone to concussions. I remember when Stewart Bradley also recieved a concussion during his time with the Eagles. A head shot into the right hip of Ernie Sims concussed him. Linked a video of it below.

- Video of Bradley's concussion injury -

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
First to the point;

I'm concerned about Kolb's desire to play. He seems like a politician to me when he talks about if he will play or not.

OK now let me be clear about this. I understand that he has a concussion and that concussions are very dangerous and can result in long term brain damage and the league is focused on preventing that from happening. And no, I have never had a concussion as far as I know, though I'm certain I have some amount of brain damage from college alone, but no I cant say; "I had a concussion back in '85 and I just kept on playin like nuthin was wrong and I is jsut fiyne!"

But as I listen to Kolb talk, both during his foot injury and now his concussion. It's like he's a poster child for the NFLPA or something. He keeps saying "We're not going to rush it." and "I'm still not there yet." and "It’s a touchy subject” and “We want to make sure we err on the right side.”

He seems more concerned with pleasing the union reps and saying all the right things instead of being focused on getting back. Or even having any kind of urgency to get back atleast. I mean on Sunday he was saying that it was all just precautionary and he felt ok but "not quite right." and now he's sitting out.

Yet we have the Browns QB on the other side who not only is going to play, but also finished last weeks game after suffering a concussion. Now, there are two extremes at play here I know, but there has to be a middle ground.

And yes, I know Kurt did the same thing in '09 where he sat out against the Titans and became an advocate for concussions, but Kurt was at the end of his career and had accomplished pretty much everything a QB can. I get a guy like that wanting to play it safe and Kurt was NOT worried about Matty taking his job at that point, so it made sense.

Kolb on the other hand is a guy who has already lost his starting job once because of injury and just doesn't seem very eager to prevent that from happening again. You would think he would be paranoid as heck and doing everything he can do to get the Dr's to let him back out there. His job is in serious jeopardy here...

I mean, Skelton wasn't GREAT, but he was pretty good in the 2nd half and you would think that the fact that his backup just keeps winning, that Kolb would be in a bit of a panic and would be lying, dying, crying, or atleast trying to get back in the lineup. Yet, somehow he seems content with sitting out and being a poster child for player safety procedures regardless of his future as our QB.

So I guess my question is; Does Kolb strike you as a guy who really, really wants to be an NFL franchise QB?

Trust me, it's not a loaded question. I have actually spent more time defending Kolb this season then attacking him. My dad is a huge Skelton fan and was done with Kolb after week 3 and so I keep trying to help him be objective because not everything that happened when we were 1-6 was Kolbs fault, but I'm starting to wonder. I haven't participated in any of the Kolb vs. Skelon threads because I dont care who our QB is, I just want this team to keep winning but Kolb isn't impressing me at all with his "Desire to play" at this point.

Well I guess I’m in the minority I absolutely agree with you. Obviously, you don’t want someone to suffer long-term for a sport. But at the same time, they know what they signed up for and a man’s being paid $63 million to play. I don’t like the way he talks about it. It doesn't show toughness, and unfortunately, it lines up perfectly with the way he runs scared in the pocket. I think the bigger problem is he already knows he has the problem and he’s afraid. This is his second concussion that we know of he had one with Philadelphia, and now one with us that IMO was barely a hit. This guy has had three opportunities to start and has been injured all three times. I don’t like the lack of toughness that he shows on the field or the way he describes it off the field. He sounds and plays afraid IMO. Even though it looks like he may have some talent he may not have the body or the mental toughness to survive in the NFL.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I’m in the minority I absolutely agree with you. Obviously, you don’t want someone to suffer long-term for a sport. But at the same time, they know what they signed up for and a man’s being paid $63 million to play. I don’t like the way he talks about it. It doesn't show toughness, and unfortunately, it lines up perfectly with the way he runs scared in the pocket. I think the bigger problem is he already knows he has the problem and he’s afraid. This is his second concussion that we know of he had one with Philadelphia, and now one with us that IMO was barely a hit. This guy has had three opportunities to start and has been injured all three times. I don’t like the lack of toughness that he shows on the field or the way he describes it off the field. He sounds and plays afraid IMO. Even though it looks like he may have some talent he may not have the body or the mental toughness to survive in the NFL.

i'm sorry but the bolded part makes no sense at all. How do you know how much impact there was from Brooks' knee? Just because he didn't get a running start and launch himself into Kolb's head does not mean it wasn't a big hit, I've seen QB's knocked unconscious from knees to the head like that.

And a concussion is not something you can fake, or be overly sensitive to. Some people get them more than others. Some get concussions, don't know it, play through it and then the next day have no recollection of it.

I can see complaining about his running out of the pocket etc but you can't say someone isn't being tough if they take a knee to the head and get a concussion, they have absolutely no control over that.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My concern is that he's had concussions before and from everything we've all heard and read they get easier and easier to get once you've had one. From that standpoint, it's got to be somewhat alarming for everyone.

JAB

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
i'm sorry but the bolded part makes no sense at all. How do you know how much impact there was from Brooks' knee? Just because he didn't get a running start and launch himself into Kolb's head does not mean it wasn't a big hit, I've seen QB's knocked unconscious from knees to the head like that.

And a concussion is not something you can fake, or be overly sensitive to. Some people get them more than others. Some get concussions, don't know it, play through it and then the next day have no recollection of it.

I can see complaining about his running out of the pocket etc but you can't say someone isn't being tough if they take a knee to the head and get a concussion, they have absolutely no control over that.

I'm not saying he has control over it I'm saying I'm afraid he believes in it. He's had a concussion before and for all we know he may have had more. That hit IMO, to a normal player would not have caused a concussion. In most cases those guys aren't even wearing knee pads and in this case, he was and it certainly wasn't a running shot. I'm not saying he has concussion syndrome I am saying he plays like he does and he talks like he does strictly in my opinion. Obviously I have never spoken with him nor am I a physician. But from everything I've ever seen watching way too many years of football whether he has it or not I believe he believes he does. All the evidence I see is how easy it is to get him off the field and the way he talks about it afterwards.