Kokoskov's offense

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
sucks.

It has two plays:

1. A weave outside the three-point line that accomplishes nothing, because NBA defenses have seen weaves before.

2. A pick-and-roll with Ayton outside the three-point line, where he then cuts to the basket and the guard with the ball is supposed to try to find him, on the move, through multiple defenders. When this pass is executed, Ayton usually does something good with it, but it's a very difficult play to pull off, and none of the guards has a high success rate with it.

Let's get with it, Igor.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt the Suns need to play Ayton closer to the basket.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody needs to clue him in that Ayton is far more capable than Rudy Gobert. After the draft he said he'd invite Sean Miller to practices to help coach Ayton. Does anyone know if Miller has actually joined the team for anything though? I'm thinking not. I know Miller isn't the best coach but surely he could tell him a few ways to use Ayton better.

I think this is another reason we need to rest Booker for a couple of games. When he's out there and his shot is falling the offense is clicking. It may not be exactly what Igor drew up but it works, for the most part. Since he's been hobbled though they haven't been able to rely on him to run the offense fully.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
. After the draft he said he'd invite Sean Miller to practices to help coach Ayton. Does anyone know if Miller has actually joined the team for anything though? I'm thinking not. I know Miller isn't the best coach but surely he could tell him a few ways to use Ayton better.

Sure, for example to play Ayton at PF.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, for example to play Ayton at PF.

If it puts him in a better position to score, fine. I wouldn't mind seeing Ayton play with Holmes a little bit either against teams like New Orleans that are big inside. Let Holmes take the harder defensive challenge and that will allow Ayton a little more energy offensively. I think if they bring in Ayton while Holmes is still out there and play them together for 2-3 minutes before sitting Holmes could allow Ayton to gain some confidence and exert more energy on the offensive end so he can get into rhythm. He'll be able to play against the easier defensive option for a minute and be able to really apply himself offensively. Ideally his confidence will go up in that brief period so when Holmes sits, Ayton is still riding that high of sorts and keeps it going. He said himself he's a rhythm player and that might help get him in rhythm before he's needed to contribute after the start of the game.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Does not fit the talent on the team. Ayton is constantly way too far from the basket. He sets a pick 18 feet out, rolls three feet, catches the pass and passes to someone else..... boring.

Obvious line up changes are slow and perplexing at times. It took way to long to recognize TJ should start over Anderson.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does not fit the talent on the team. Ayton is constantly way too far from the basket. He sets a pick 18 feet out, rolls three feet, catches the pass and passes to someone else..... boring.

Obvious line up changes are slow and perplexing at times. It took way to long to recognize TJ should start over Anderson.

I'm not sure why he rode Ariza, Crawford and Anderson to start the season.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score

When he screens and rolls hard good things usually happen. He's been doing that a lot more lately.

But I agree, I hate the one play they run all the time where he catches it just above the elbow and doesn't even face the basket, just looking for someone else to hand it off to. He becomes a non-threat and rarely does anything good happen out of it.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
But I agree, I hate the one play they run all the time where he catches it just above the elbow and doesn't even face the basket, just looking for someone else to hand it off to. He becomes a non-threat and rarely does anything good happen out of it.[/QUOTE]

Right, sometimes he doesn't even look in the direction of the basket allowing his defender to sag off into the lane.

Only two players are playing at or above expectations, TJ and Bridges. Everyone else has regressed and Ayton is not being used properly. Overall, I can't see what all the Igor hype was about.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Anderson has started 8 games and scored in double figures once, 15points