Knicks @ Suns Sunday game thread 11-20-2022

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know if we even prepare for it that much, thats saying something as they should be since it’s become part of other teams game plan to double Book.

The only guy who will try to get open is Bridges where he flashes to the middle. The rest of the guys just stand pat and don’t bother to create a passing lane.

To note another thing they don’t prepare for is the 2 for 1 scenario. It is so predictable that Book is getting the ball. I wish they would prepare for someone else to dribble the ball up and have Book come off some screens or some other off the ball action.

I agree, Bridges has done a much better job of creating his own shot this season. Cam Payne has been doing this as well with success. The return of Chris Paul will help.

Devin Booker has to be willing to give up the ball though.

Washington Jr. has this ability to create, although it's asking a lot for him to be ready by season's end. He has a long way to go.

Damian Lee has some potential to create.

Torrey Craig has been a wonderful surprise as a starter.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve said over and over he’s checked out and it playing like trash haven’t I?

Only since last week though, there's just not enough to backup his play. I know you've been his biggest supporter on this board. Ayton is playing below what is expected, but not below what most on this board have recognized previous to last week.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve said over and over he’s checked out and it playing like trash haven’t I?

You used to be a huge Ayton supporter. I don't think he has checked out. Yes, he hasn't played up to expectations but I think the best is yet to come.

I get it. It gets old defending a player that fans criticize so much but I think it's too early to give up on him.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You used to be a huge Ayton supporter. I don't think he has checked out. Yes, he hasn't played up to expectations but I think the best is yet to come.

I get it. It gets old defending a player that fans criticize so much but I think it's too early to give up on him.
Not sure about the "best to come" part... but I do agree it's too early to give up on him. Though, I would be lying if I didn't admit to being very curious about what he could bring in a trade come January.
Finito seems to believe Ayton has quit because of Monty... which is ludicrous of course. The dude just got PAID, but because he might not always agree with his coach, he simply gives up? If that is in fact true - which it's not, man... what a statement on the kid.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the "best to come" part... but I do agree it's too early to give up on him. Though, I would be lying if I didn't admit to being very curious about what he could bring in a trade come January.
Finito seems to believe Ayton has quit because of Monty... which is ludicrous of course. The dude just got PAID, but because he might not always agree with his coach, he simply gives up? If that is in fact true - which it's not, man... what a statement on the kid.

Yeah, there is no reason for Ayton to quit. And if he has an open mind, he should realize he has not played up to his contract.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Nope. He’s done.

The second Jan 15th comes he’s gone. He knows it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes you have, but you've also been clear to lay all the blame for DA checking out on Monty and JJ. And maybe you're right, who knows. But I'm no longer convinced he's completely checked out.

Ayton is never going to be the player we want him to be but over the past few games he's come close to being the Ayton we need him to be. We're getting probably 7 minutes a game of an impactful DA, we need probably 10 minutes at that level. But even at 7 good minutes from Ayton, it's going to be a challenge to replace his on court value without giving up future assets. And given our need at PF, we're much better served if we don't have to go in that direction.

Yeah cause I think that’s the reason. Name me one time playing with a players contract and dangling them in trade rumors has ended well. It never does.

You can’t tell a player over and over we don’t value you and expect that player to go all out for you. That’s just not reality.

Come trade deadline he’s gone and it’s been the plan from day 1. Now we’re gonna get horrible value. I see a real bad trade coming up

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah cause I think that’s the reason. Name me one time playing with a players contract and dangling them in trade rumors has ended well. It never does.

You can’t tell a player over and over we don’t value you and expect that player to go all out for you. That’s just not reality.

Come trade deadline he’s gone and it’s been the plan from day 1. Now we’re gonna get horrible value. I see a real bad trade coming up
We live in an era where rumors abound and the truth is often out of reach. It's easy to read all those "reports" and become convinced we really are "dangling" a player but we just don't know. Especially given how silent this front office has been since JJ took over.

The moment DA was signed by Indiana, news came out that we had every intention of matching him. That's all we really know, everything else is guesswork or anonymous inside sources that are often nothing more the result of negotiating tactics (from agents and other gms etc.).

That's not to say you're wrong, just that your position, like mine, is nothing more than speculation.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We live in an era where rumors abound and the truth is often out of reach. It's easy to read all those "reports" and become convinced we really are "dangling" a player but we just don't know. Especially given how silent this front office has been since JJ took over.

The moment DA was signed by Indiana, news came out that we had every intention of matching him. That's all we really know, everything else is guesswork or anonymous inside sources that are often nothing more the result of negotiating tactics (from agents and other gms etc.).

That's not to say you're wrong, just that your position, like mine, is nothing more than speculation.

Oh I think it’s pretty clear. Pretty much everyone reported we were in talks last year with Indiana for that Sabonis trade.

The offseason before the suns told him he wasn’t going to be extended with reports saying there weren’t even really negotiations.

All media outlets reported they explored sign and trade options this offseason

They’ve gone out of their way to tell him we don’t value you. They played the game and matched so they wouldn’t lose him not cause they wanted him costing him 25 million.

Now it’s hey come give it your all for us. That’s not how people work. I think it’s clear he’s quit and you could see it coming a mile away.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I think it’s pretty clear. Pretty much everyone reported we were in talks last year with Indiana for that Sabonis trade.

The offseason before the suns told him he wasn’t going to be extended with reports saying there weren’t even really negotiations.

All media outlets reported they explored sign and trade options this offseason

They’ve gone out of their way to tell him we don’t value you. They played the game and matched so they wouldn’t lose him not cause they wanted him costing him 25 million.

Now it’s hey come give it your all for us. That’s not how people work. I think it’s clear he’s quit and you could see it coming a mile away.
They were still just rumors and speculation. And once someone starts a rumor or suggests it could happen, they all pick up on it. The escalating volume of "reports" doesn't make it any more true than when it was just one writer making a suggestion.

And if you think back, you should also be able to recall that there were probably as many rumors here about swapping DA with Sabonis as there were rumors about trading for Sabonis to play alongside Ayton. Some posters insisted it wouldn't work because Sabonis and Turner didn't work while others were insisting it could work because DA was much more capable of playing outside than those other two guys.

I'm pretty sure we did look into Sabonis and other possible acquisitions but there's usually a big difference between "inquired about" and "dangled a player". Teams often ask around about other players and test the waters on the value of their own guys, neither act means we tried to trade for anyone or tried to get rid of one of our own.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose