Knicks @ Suns game thread 1-26-18

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On Friday the Knicks visit the Suns for a game scheduled to start at 7 p.m. Arizona time. It will be televised on FSAZ.

The Suns are coming off a four game road trip where they only won one game... against the Nuggets. Actually the Suns are 2-10 in their last ten games.

The Knicks are 2-10 in their last ten games as well but they are currently on a seven game road trip. They play the Nuggets on Thursday night so they may be a tired team when they arrive in Phoenix.

The Suns record stands at 17-31 and the Knicks record is 21-27 pending their game tonight.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like there is the possibility of several lineup changes for the Knicks game.

Scott Bordow writes a very informative article. Here are some quotes and a link to the article.

In the five games before his injury – excluding the Oklahoma City game in which he got hurt – Chriss averaged 14.2 points and 7.4 rebounds per game and shot 50 percent from the field and 40.7 percent from 3-point range.

He could slide into the starting lineup at power forward, moving Dragan Bender back to the bench. In his past five games, Bender is averaging just 3.2 points per game while shooting 28.6 percent from the field and 26.7 percent from 3-point range.

Second, T.J. Warren bumped knees during Thursday’s practice and is listed as questionable for Friday’s game. If he can’t play, Josh Jackson would take his place.

Finally, Triano said a “lack of good play” is a factor. That could indicate a change at point guard. Tyler Ulis is averaging just 5.6 points per game in January and shooting 33.9 percent from the field and 26.1 percent from 3-point range. He’s also struggled on the defensive end, not because of a lack of effort but a lack of size. At 5-feet-10 and 150 pounds, Ulis has trouble keeping bigger guards out of the lane and defending them in the post.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-booker-marquese-chriss-tj-warren/1067636001/

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It sounds like there is the possibility of several lineup changes for the Knicks game.

Scott Bordow writes a very informative article. Here are some quotes and a link to the article.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-booker-marquese-chriss-tj-warren/1067636001/
Finally, Triano said a “lack of good play” is a factor. That could indicate a change at point guard. Tyler Ulis is averaging just 5.6 points per game in January and shooting 33.9 percent from the field and 26.1 percent from 3-point range. He’s also struggled on the defensive end, not because of a lack of effort but a lack of size. At 5-feet-10 and 150 pounds, Ulis has trouble keeping bigger guards out of the lane and defending them in the post.

Backup Isaiah Canaan is only 6-feet but he’s built more physically at 201 pounds, and he gives the Suns the threat of a 3-point shooter at the position; Canaan is shooting 37.5 percent from 3-point range in 15 games with Phoenix.
To put it another way, Canaan is not 5'10" and does not weight 150 lbs. And he is more skilled. At the risk of sounding facetious, it is about time!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To put it another way, Canaan is not 5'10" and does not weight 150 lbs. And he is more skilled. At the risk of sounding facetious, it is about time!

At this point in the season, I would be content to let Ulis keep the starting PG spot since the Suns are going nowhere. At a certain point in time the draft becomes more important than winning. I think the Suns are here.

However, the Suns may be more concerned about developing Bender, Chriss and Jackson. They might even want to give Len one last look. It's obvious Canaan is the better point guard.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
At this point in the season, I would be content to let Ulis keep the starting PG spot since the Suns are going nowhere. At a certain point in time the draft becomes more important than winning. I think the Suns are here.

However, the Suns may be more concerned about developing Bender, Chriss and Jackson. They might even want to give Len one last look. It's obvious Canaan is the better point guard.

So I am not here to say I told you so, but for those of you in Mainstream’s camp can you at least see that maybe those of us that were for the tank earlier could reasonably have believed, and even foreseen, this outcome, and hence were banking on the draft, at a much earlier date? I mean the team was atrocious last season and remained incredibly young not picking up any significant vet to lead us to believe a playoff run, or even significant improvement, was in our immediate future. And for those that want to play the “winning verses losing culture” card . . . how much impact on these young guys does winning 27 verses 30-32 games really have when they are still losing 50+ games? Be honest. None. Residing in the 5th slot now. I’m done holding my tongue. It is time to lose and lose big. Yes I am cheering for losses.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I am not here to say I told you so, but for those of you in Mainstream’s camp can you at least see that maybe those of us that were for the tank earlier could reasonably have believed, and even foreseen, this outcome, and hence were banking on the draft, at a much earlier date? I mean the team was atrocious last season and remained incredibly young not picking up any significant vet to lead us to believe a playoff run, or even significant improvement, was in our immediate future. And for those that want to play the “winning verses losing culture” card . . . how much impact on these young guys does winning 27 verses 30-32 games really have when they are still losing 50+ games? Be honest. None. Residing in the 5th slot now. I’m done holding my tongue. It is time to lose and lose big. Yes I am cheering for losses.

My position has always been the Suns should play their young players and see what happens. So here we are.

To make changes at this point in the season to win games does not make sense to me unless the Suns have another objective, e.g., like further seeing how their young players develop with a different starting lineup.

Where we differ in our approach, I do not think it is healthy for the team to start the season with the intent of losing. It's not good for team, the players or the fans. If the Suns were close to competing for a playoff spot I would be hoping they would add a player to make a run at it. However, they are not so the Suns should play their younger players and see what happens.

I never considered playing the game to win as a "camp." Actually I thought it was pretty normal.

Here is a question for you. Why not "tank" next season to get the best players? When is enough... enough.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An exciting move tonight as Booker starts at PG alongside Daniels at SG.
Interim coach Jay Triano shook up his starting lineup for Friday’s game against the New York Knicks, shifting Booker to point guard with Troy Daniels starting at shooting guard. In addition, Marquese Chriss, who has missed the last six games with a strained right hip, will start at power forward.

Triano said a lineup with Booker at the point, Daniels at shooting guard and T.J. Warren at small forward (Warren will play after banging knees at practice Thursday) is “something I’ve wanted to look at for a while. We’ve played him late in games at point guard so let’s see how it looks early in games.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...int-guard-against-new-york-knicks/1052717001/

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss fouls Porzingis right off the beginning. It's not a good way to start the game.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss scores the Suns first points hitting a 3.

Suns trail 11-5 at the 9:25 mark of first quarter.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timeout with the Suns trailing 16-5.

Kanter has 10 of the Knicks 16 points.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Chandler goes out sick and Len is out.

Maybe Bender plays some center tonight.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A better Point Guard will make the young players better. Being overloaded with young unproven players, isn't that our top goal? Ulis is not that Point Guard.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't get used to the Suns playing in what appears to be blue uniforms.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
End of 1st quarter:

Knicks 33 - Suns 23

Booker starting at PG did not go as planned as the Knicks jumped to a big lead early.

He did have 5 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists and 1 steal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My position has always been the Suns should play their young players and see what happens. So here we are.

To make changes at this point in the season to win games does not make sense to me unless the Suns have another objective, e.g., like further seeing how their young players develop with a different starting lineup.

Where we differ in our approach, I do not think it is healthy for the team to start the season with the intent of losing. It's not good for team, the players or the fans. If the Suns were close to competing for a playoff spot I would be hoping they would add a player to make a run at it. However, they are not so the Suns should play their younger players and see what happens.

I never considered playing the game to win as a "camp." Actually I thought it was pretty normal.

Here is a question for you. Why not "tank" next season to get the best players? When is enough... enough.

But if you believe the team isn’t going to compete why not maximize your ability . . . ah we are all just repeating ourselves at this point. Forget it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackson has brought energy back to the Suns. He is all effort and has 6 points.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Halftime:

Knicks 42 - Suns 39

Enes Kanter is the Suns slayer tonight.

OP
OP